PDA

View Full Version : SKB Ducks Unlimited any good?

lar45
03-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Hello Everybody. I'm sorry that I don't get on here to post very often, bussiness has been rather brisk THANKS MUCH :)
Anyway to keep this on subject, the below will be shot with cast slugs as well as regular shot and buckshot loads.

I'm looking at a used SKB Ducks unlimited 12 ga 3" semi auto shotgun and wonder if anyone has an opinion about them. It's in nearly new condition and is $300.
What type of choke tubes do they use? Is it a standard like Remchoke, Winchoke or their own thing?
How does it work in hot and cold weather?
How do they hold up with piles of shooting? (100-200 rounds a month)
Shotguns aren't really my strong subject, so I hope someone here knows a little but.

I went shooting with my 12 yo son last week and he was talking smack about shooting clay pidgeons out of the air with my Ruger 6.5" stainless target model 22lr pistol. So I told him I'd buy him a new gun if he could do it in 5 shots. We had a mountain for a back stop and nothing around. So I am shopping for a shotgun now, lol. He missed the first one, took 2 shots at the second one and busted it about 2' off the ground.
He really likes my wifes Rem 1100 and can shoot nearly everything else I have, pumps, levergun, single shots and SxS, really well. He's hitting about 90% from our spring thrower. So I'm thinking about something he could use for everything, trap; Turkeys; Grouse...
I need to get a good shotshell reloader and get him started on that. He went through 100 rounds 2 weekends ago. I'm trying to get all one brand, Federal, and save the hulls.

Any thoughts an or suggestions would be appreciated.

John Boy
03-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Here's SKB's website ... http://www.skbshotguns.com/
Call them. Who would know better to answer your questions then them!

Wayne Smith
03-14-2011, 03:51 PM
How old is it? I have one that is Imp/Mod - old enough to be prior to choke tubes. Mine is a 20 ga side by side and a very nice gun, not a bragging or display piece but a good field gun.

runfiverun
03-14-2011, 05:56 PM
iv'e seen glen's boy.
he'd do well with a win 120 or 1300.
the skb's iv'e had, had thier own type choke threads and din't interchange with anything else.
i don't like the new 870's they are pretty cheaply made [especially compared to an older one]
many of the turkish guns are made okay.
the benelli pumps are okay also but a but strange with the way they are put together.
any of the new franchi stuff is fragile and thier warranty work sucks [and you gotta mail it to them in italy to have the work done]
did you know you can make a franchi fit in a usps box with a chop saw and there is plenty of room for the case too if you run it through a chipper.
oh yeah a note will fit right on top of the pile and it will stil tape shut.
[i bet they could read my english on that note]

anyways the 1300 is what i'd stick with.
i have had two of them and put well over 50k rounds through each of them.
i had to replace the butstock on both, but the cost was minimal.

azjohn
03-14-2011, 10:38 PM
I have a SKB made Ithaca 500. From what I have read SKB is no longer manufacturing shotguns. They also produced some models for Weatherby. Take Johnboy's advice and go to their website and look around. Get the phone # and talk to the owner. You can also check here and maybe get some info.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=114&sid=1240945ee1603d85b98330de884fd218. Your lube is great. will buy some more when I need it.

NoDakJak
03-15-2011, 08:04 AM
When i as stationed in northern Japan in the late sixties we used SKB over/unders and 101 Winchesters as club guns. They both fired umpty thousands of rounds and the SKB guns seemed to hold up as well as the Winchesters. I preferred the SKBs as I liked their feel and balance better. My real preference however was for the Model 200 side by side chambered for twenty gauge. I should have had my butt kicked for not buying one of those. They were available for less then $130 through the Rod And Gun Club. A few shooters purchased the SKB semi-autos and seemed very happy with them but they were never as popular as the over/unders. Neil

GBCAPT
03-15-2011, 08:24 AM
I have an older SKB manufactured Ithaca 600 26" skeet over skeet O/U that I purchased new in the late '60s!

My favorite for more than skeet! Fantastic short range, fast pointing shotgun. Fits me well, points quickly and naturally and has never failed to fire!

I have even killed a few deer with slugs and buckshot in Virginia's Great Dismal Swamp with it!

lar45
03-15-2011, 04:35 PM
SKB's sight says the choke tubes are interchangable with Weatherby choke tubes.
Lar Jr. hasn't decided if he wants a semi-auto or a SxS. The semi-auto would help with recoil, but he did put a few rounds through a 50 BMG at the Linebaugh seminar last year and loved it(He was 11 at the time).