PDA

View Full Version : Featuring a Cast of Thousands!

Captain*Kirk
03-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Well, it SEEMED like thousands. Probably a couple hundred, anyway....
Shiny little round balls...hundreds of them.
Today the planets aligned; the temps broke into the upper forties, and the strong winds of yesterday diminished, and most importantly, the wife was working....so I got in my first casting session of 2011.
I ran a couple hundred .454 RB and a few Lee conicals thrown in for good measure.
Now, all this was done on the back deck, sitting at the picnic table (which I dragged out of winter storage just for this little cameo!) I had hoped to get all finished up before SOQS (She Of Queenly Stature) returned from work, so I wouldn't get yelled at for enjoying my day off. But once you get rolling, it's hard to stop, and before you know it the dog was barking and I was...'busted'!
"What'cha doin'", says she?
Oh nothin' much, just casting some bullets, I say nonchalantly.
"Outside? Isn't it cold?"
Nah...it's fine with a jacket on.
So she comes out to see what I'm doing, and sees molten lead splatters all over the top of her picnic table
(This is not good, is it, Yogi?)
(No, Booboo...it's not good to splatter lead on the pick-a-nick table. Nosiree!)
"ON MY PICNIC TABLE"????!!!! SOQS shrieks..
won'thurtnuthin, I mumble under my breath. And then..I'll wipe it all off when I'm done! (brightly)
SOQS returns to the castle, none too pleased.
Later, after I'm finished, I get the obligatory lecture about how I could burn the table and/or the deck with the hot lead, and how the grandkids eat there in the summer, etc. etc. and how I'd better find a different spot to cast...next time.
All of which is true, but all which could be countered with rational discussion...such as;
1) lead residue wipes off with soap and water. Besides, she uses a tablecloth in the summer.
2) Lead splatters don't burn the wood, for the most part. They're cold before they hit, or at least not hot enough to burn wood. Besides, if they did, there would be burn marks all over the table AND the deck. (But I don't tell her this.)
In fact, I don't tell her ANY of it. I simply agree to find 'somewhere else' to cast (gee, maybe I can set up a tent in the yard) and make a mental note to start earlier next time!
Besides, who ever heard of trying to hold a rational discussion with a woman, anyway? I gave up on that decades ago...[smilie=b:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g8FLSGRYW0

DIRT Farmer
03-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Yep, part of being married. It's been tough since my wife retired, don't get time when she is not around. Anyway if the grandkids diden't shoot up so many loads, I woulden't usr so much lead.

NickSS
03-14-2011, 05:08 AM
My wife leaves me alone when I am casting becasue she likes to shoot them off but does not like to make them. I never have trouble when I am improving her bullet supply.

wellfedirishman
03-14-2011, 05:42 AM
Use a half size sheet (4'x4') of plywood on top of the picnic table, and put your casting geat on top. I do this and it keeps the garden table quite clean.

I'd be hesitant to invite a guest to eat at a table covered in lead splatters :)

Edit to add: if you put an outer rail or raised lip around the plywood sheet, it would make a great safety device in case of hot lead spill.

gnoahhh
03-14-2011, 09:45 AM
And they wonder why I'm not married!

10 ga
03-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Besides, who ever heard of trying to hold a rational discussion with a woman, anyway? I gave up on that decades ago...[smilie=b:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g8FLSGRYW0

Double dittos and amen to that brother. 10 ga

Captain*Kirk
03-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Oh, I'm not really complainin', boys. I found it rather humorous, which is the reason for the little anecdote.
That's just the way it is.
If they're not complaining, best check for pulse....

wgr
03-15-2011, 12:11 AM
i told mine that she was neater than i was.so maybe she should do the . now im in the shed

Geraldo
03-15-2011, 08:57 AM
I'd be hesitant to invite a guest to eat at a table covered in lead splatters :)

Nonsense. I ate a lot of paint chips as a kid, and it didn't hurt me :veryconfu