PDA

View Full Version : looking for 9.3 280 cast boolit with Unique load

saskgunowner101
03-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Just received a mold from one of the group buys on here, the NOE 280 grain .368 for use in my 9.3x62mm rifle. Wondering if anyone has used Unique behind a bullet of this weight, or approx how many grains of Unique for a plinker load. I'm thinking around 14 grains, but thinking and knowing are two different things. Any help appreciated.

63 Shiloh
03-14-2011, 01:00 AM
Hey Mate,

I have the same mold, I got one cavity cut plain based, the other 3 are GC cavities.

For my PB boolits, they drop at 284gn with my alloy and lubed with BAC. I am loading with Unique between 12gn-16 gn. I have seen no pressure signs at all, I am considering going up to 18gn of Unique.

Out of my Tikka T3 9.3x62mm, I have obtained promising accuracy with 15.5gn.

Now testing the PB boolit with Trail Boss, results to follow.

Then its on to the GC boolits, which have dropped at 282.3gn.

Guess who forgot a sizer though :oops:

So I have been pan lubing my PB Boolits and shooting them as cast, they drop at .3678"

Good luck :cbpour:

Mike

saskgunowner101
03-14-2011, 02:58 AM
Well I was bored so I gave the 14 grains of Unique a test run. I haven't bought a sizing die to put the checks on, so they just got lubed and went "as is" without a check. I was a bit worried to try them at first, but doing some extrapolation from the Lymann cast bullet handbook I felt I should be alright.

I zeroed at 25 meters and then played around at 100 meters and at some unfortunate 2" saplings at about 140 meters. Very mild recoil with enough pressure to have soot free necks and nothing remarkable about the primers pressure wise.

I still have to get my mold running better though but very fun to shoot. My last 5 shots were with my normal jacketed bullets and it seemed like the devil after those gentle loads.;-)

nanuk
03-14-2011, 03:43 PM
saskgunowner101, where abouts are you?

I'm in P.A.

I am getting a 9.3x62, and was wondering if I could perhaps get some boolits off ya, till I get some moulds?

I am very interested in your load developement.

a 286gr boolit plunking along at mild velocity would be a nice gentle treestand type round for whitetail in the bush

saskgunowner101
03-14-2011, 07:29 PM
I tell ya, it's a small world nanuk!! I'm fairly close to Prince Albert and would be no problem hooking you up with a few bullets once I give the mold another cleaning and casting session. I have to warn you though, I don't have my mold broke in, so they are pretty ugly. (if it were any other boolits they'd be back in the pot) But I figured they would do just for point of impact and recoil experiments.

They shot not too bad all things considered. What kind of 9.3 rifle are you using?? I have a Model 46 Husky, and can shoot these "as is" with no sizing. Of course, I need a sizer for the gas checks, but I put 20 shots through with zero leading so not too concerned yet. I think with a little more velocity these would be a nice 100 yard max load for stand hunting. Nice to shoot without ringing your ears. Are you a member over at CGN?

nanuk
03-15-2011, 12:46 AM
I've got a Husqvarna '96? coming. not exactly sure, will post some pics and get info on it when I get it.
CGN, I"m nanuk over there as well.

for a 'hunert yards" I don't think you really need much to perferate a whitetail.

I'll dig out some WW and some Lead when I get a chance to trade for some boolits.

'nuk

saskgunowner101
03-15-2011, 02:15 AM
I have no doubt these would punch on through a deer and keep going....unless you give it the "texas heart shot". I'll let you know next time I cast up a batch of them.:smile: