PDA

View Full Version : Gold Bond foot powder on sticky bullets. ? ? ?

derek45
03-13-2011, 03:05 AM
I had an old timer tell me he drops his lubed bullets in a bag with a bit of GOLD BOND foot powder, shakes them up, to keep them from getting sticky

I've heard of MICA, but this made me LAUGH

anybody do this ?

steg
03-13-2011, 03:21 AM
Should make em smell good, but I don't know, sounds like it would work, gonna try it next time I use Mule snot, LOL.................steg

cavalrymedic
03-13-2011, 03:32 AM
gold bonds is mostly baby powder ie chalk. I don't know what effect it would have on the barrel when fired. hmmm. I've seen a few threads on here about mixing Lee Liquid Alox with paste wax and mineral spirits to cure the mule snot blues. I'm gonna give that a good try. Folks on those threads seem convinced that it works

Bret4207
03-13-2011, 09:34 AM
I've used Motor Mica, lab grade ground graphite, corn starch, baby powder. I don't see why Gold Bond wouldn't work, but it's pretty expensive stuff compared to corn starch or flour.

Rocky Raab
03-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Expense was going to be my comment, also. I get a giant size bottle of body powder at my local dollar store (the caster's best friend!) for - well, a buck. Ought to work as well. So would a bottle of GI surplus foot powder, for that matter.

It doesn't take much. A half teaspoon will dust hundreds of bullets.

btroj
03-13-2011, 11:33 AM
I would want to avoid Gold Bond for this use. Don't know about you guys but I often shoot on warm days and tend to wipe my face and eyes to get rid of sweat. Gold Bond contains some menthol which can tend to irritate the eyes pretty good.
While this has a small potential for problems it is one more reason, along with cost, to avoid it.

I just shoot the bullets sticky. Other than a storage mess before loading into cases they cause no problems.

Brad

derek45
03-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Shooting IPSC out in the hot blazing sun.....it sure keeps the family jewels cool and dry

:Fire:

:guntootsmiley:

btroj
03-13-2011, 12:56 PM
That is where it belongs, not on your bullets.

steg
03-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Normally when I'm done loading the cartridges, I'll dampen a dedicated old towel with mineral spirits, place the rounds in the center of the towel, do a kind of three way fold pick up the ends and move them in opposing ups and downs. It doesn't take all that long, and cleans them up really good, hardly takes much time to do a whole bunch of them................steg

plainsman456
03-13-2011, 09:36 PM
I have done the dollar store baby powder thing.
I haven't shot them yet but them suckkers are slick and they smell good. I tried to find some that was unsented but seems folks want to smell like a french who**.

noylj
03-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Baby Powder used to be talc--Mg3Si4O10(OH)2-- (not the same as chalk--CaCO3). Now, too many powders are corn starch. I don't think corn starch would work as well as either talc or mica--Mg3Si4O10(OH)2.

Rocky Raab
03-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Steg, that's called a "towel tumbler" and it works very well indeed!

Echo
03-14-2011, 10:58 AM
+1 for the towel tumbler. Been using it for decades!

blackthorn
03-14-2011, 11:35 AM
When the towel gets saturated with lube, cut it into 2" strips, roll them up and tie them to use for fire starter. Have a great day!