PDA

View Full Version : evaporust.

hiram
03-12-2011, 05:56 PM
A friend gave me some. The pliers stood in the bottle for a 24 hour soak, but 24 hrs wasn't necessary. I got the directions from the web site. The clean pliers are smooth to the touch and look better than the picture shows.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-12-2011, 06:34 PM
I've never heard of that. Looks like it works great.

wallenba
03-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Hiram, Is that one of those eco-friendly citrus based formulas?

deltaenterprizes
03-12-2011, 07:12 PM
The MSDS description makes sound as if it is safe enough to drink! It is available at Autozone. I bought 10 galls to recover tools that were in Hurricane Katrina and it has more than paid for the stuff. Evaporust will not attack aluminum.
There is also a similar product that is about half the price called "Rust Beeter" made from sugar beets. I have not tried it, but is sounds similar, but may attack aluminum.

hiram
03-12-2011, 07:27 PM
It is eco friendly but it has a slight odor like naval jelly.

MakeMineA10mm
03-14-2011, 12:28 AM
I posted a thread about my very positive experience with Evaporust on some moulds. It's is fantastic stuff. I never had to soak anything overnight, let alone 24 hours, and it was pretty serious rust. Left the cavities shiney, blue, and perfect for casting.

Just don't use it on blued firearms, because bluing is a rust process. (Unless you want to strip the finish off the gun, then it'd probably be perfect for that...)

Got mine at Harbor Freight.

mroliver77
03-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Hmm. I bought a gallon of some green stuff that is supposed to dissolve rust and turn it into a primer. When I built my log splitter a friend brought me a piece of 12"x12" I beam that was a piece of piling for a bridge. It was pretty rusty so I gave it a going over with a 4" twisted wire wheel. Then a coating of the stuff. Definitely acidic. The next morn it was dry, black and smooth to the touch. A pint of ugly brown implement enamel and it looks like up town!

I have some rusty tools I have been cleaning and had forgotten about this stuff. Thanks, I will check out the evaporust also.
Jay

cajun shooter
03-16-2011, 09:13 AM
I purchased a gallon of Evapo-Rust about 2 years ago. It is very fast and does what it states on the label. If you happen to own a High Standard 22 Mag Derringer with a bit of rust on the front of the barrels be careful when you wire it to only touch that area. I did a stupid and the left side went into the mix. Took off that blue job from the factory very fast. Works great on tools and such.