PDA

View Full Version : Reloading question

Brl
11-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Okay, I hope this doesn't sound to dumb to most, it is a newbie question. I havn't reloaded in many years due to not having the space. Well, I recently bought a house with a 3 car garage and was wondering if the Florida heat and humidity (if I loaded in the garage) would effect the loading process enough to make shooting the loads dangerous? I would keep the powder, primers and brass in the house until ready to load. How does heat and humidity effect loads during the loading process? Or does it?

Thanks for any help!!

Hunter
11-26-2006, 03:38 PM
I believe as long as you materials are stored correctly you should have no trouble during the loading. I would try and do it when it ain't too bad outside as moisture could condensate.

44woody
11-26-2006, 05:13 PM
BRL where I reload at there are 2 windows in the corners of this room and this is where I do my reloading at even during rain storms and I have had no trouble at all just as long as the rain is not blowing in the windo I am ok and I live in Bradenton Fla. where are you located at ??:castmine: 44Woody

Brl
11-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

44, I am in Naples...about 2.5 hours South of you.

versifier
11-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Brl,
The problem is not with your loads and safety, but rather the humidity's effects on your steel moulds and loading tools. You need to make sure that they receive a little extra TLC in high humidity environments, or they will rust up wicked. Careful oiling after use and periodic inspection just like with your firearms will prevent any problems. (Don't forget about the insides of your loading dies - especially sizers - as any protecting lubes get removed as you work them.)

Brl
11-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the input. I would have never thought about the insides of the dies.

Thanks!

wills
11-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Is it more humid than Houston?

felix
11-27-2006, 03:53 PM
South Florida is considerably more humid than Houston; North Florida about the same. I say this because of the various times of the year I had to work in various places in Florida, when living in Houston. ... felix

joeb33050
11-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Okay, I hope this doesn't sound to dumb to most, it is a newbie question. I havn't reloaded in many years due to not having the space. Well, I recently bought a house with a 3 car garage and was wondering if the Florida heat and humidity (if I loaded in the garage) would effect the loading process enough to make shooting the loads dangerous? I would keep the powder, primers and brass in the house until ready to load. How does heat and humidity effect loads during the loading process? Or does it?

Thanks for any help!!

I live in Marathon and reload in the house = condo. We're thinking of moving north, and of a garage where I can reload. If it happens I'll keep everything that will fit in a working refrigerator in plastic bags or saran wrap, and I'll take out what I need before loading to let it get to temp. I'm talking about powder and primers and dies/molds/small tools-whatever fits.
Not original with me, I've seen it before and been told about it.
joe brennan

Brl
11-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Yes it is considerably more humid than Houston and for a longer period of time. I went to School in Nacogdoches, TX.

Thanks for the posts and ideas!

Char-Gar
11-27-2006, 06:03 PM
I started loading in an old garage in deep South Texas. It was the southern most place on the U.S. mainland. (Key West if more south, but not on the mainland) We were only 11 miles from the coast. It was HUMID!!! No problems other than rusting of equipment which could be controled.

Brl
11-27-2006, 06:13 PM
I'm going to try loading in the garage. I'll set up a nice strudy bench and keep an eye on rust and check the dies often. I just got an email back from Hodgdon and they said to actually keep the primers and powder out in the garage. Moving them in and out (from cold to hot) will cause condensation and contaminate the powder and/or primers. They said to just keep the containers closed tightly at all times. Only opening the powder can to dump powder into the powder measure...and then back into the powder can when done, won't hurt the powder...but cold/hot/cold/hot over time would.

Thought everyone might want to know.

Thanks for the posts.

Wayne Smith
11-28-2006, 08:57 AM
Here in Tedewater, VA I keep primers and powder in the garage in USA ammo cans, keep all dies in the air conditioned house. Never had a problem with components.

August
11-30-2006, 01:28 PM
I don't have a problem with humidity, living in Arizona. Heat, however, is a real PITA.

I store primers and powder inside. One of the cautions for those components is always to store them in a cool, dark place. I have a cabinet in the kitchen assign to this duty.

Others have given good advice about corrosion.

You'll note that one of the first rules about reloading is to have only one component (powder, primers) on your bench at any time. My method of storage enforces this rule.

mooman76
11-30-2006, 01:33 PM
An ammo can is not a good idea for powder and primmers. If you have a fire you now have a bomb waiting to go off. A wooden box that is tightly put together would be better. It will just burn that way!

Wayne Smith
12-01-2006, 08:48 AM
The ammo can is designed just for that. It's light metal, lightly sodered, and has the added benefit of being waterproof and airtight. They are designed to split open under pressure, to not be a bomb.

1Shirt
12-01-2006, 09:49 AM
I would have no problem with the garage factor for reloading, other than the rust that some mention in a humid climate. Would have a problem with storage of powder and primers in a humid,hot garage in that climate. I load in a basement area, that is cool for the season year round. I have never had a problem with powder and primers because of the cool and dry. If I had to load in a warm humid climate, would store powder and primers in a cool, dry area in the air conditioned house, and would use old wooden ammo boxes. Just my two cents!
1Shirt!:coffee:

STP
12-01-2006, 08:53 PM
I got started in my employers garage in Sarasota...back in `82..or was that `83?
I had been spending big money at Zucchini`s, buying their remanufactured loads.
My then new S&W 29 was eating me out of house and home, as was a S&W Model 10 M&P, and a S&W Model 27.
To the rescue, came my boss. He had a full setup in his garage...3 Dillon 550`s, and his experience. Man, what a watershed time that was.
His storage of components consisted of no more than keeping the powder in the laundry room off the garage. (A/C of course) The rest was kept in the garage. I`d imagine he knew how to maintain the presses and such against the ravages of rust. But back then, I was not aware of the methods to protect the loading gear. I was immersed in the fascination of being able to load my empties.
He had cabinets all around, mounted high on the walls. I do not recall him mentioning problems associated with the ravages of humidity. Newbies like me tended to focus on the fascination of the presses and such.
Now, 20 some years later, I`d only offer that the powder and primers need to be removed from any constant "exposure" to the climate...like inside. That FPL bill can be draining tho`.
It may take a few mistakes to determine a method to prevent that dreaded orange color of rust from showing up on your gear. Learning to wipe off ALL gear immediately after use is the best way to ward off the problems.
My area extended from Gulf Gate Dr. to the south, to Bee Ridge Rd. to the north.
10 years...a lot of good friends there.
Spent quite a bit of time shooting at Knight Trail Park, a public facility. The RO got tired of my Model 29...he started asking me to move at least 4 positions away from his booth.

Brl
12-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Guys those were some great suggestions. I thank you. I'll keep you posted with any news.

Thanks!