PDA

View Full Version : Rust? Help in not so sunny Kalif.

buckndee
03-11-2011, 01:39 AM
I have done a rust search but still need some professional advice. Speckling rust on dies, blued gun parts, some reloading tools in the garage. Just started in the past 2-4 weeks due to parking rain wet vehicle in garage multiple times. Musty smell at times, did set up a large fan to circulate the air.

I know the Aero Kroil I have will do the job but the offensive odor lingers for weeks. BreakFree Clip is not much better. Odor will kill the wife or she will do me the same.

What other products will stop or remove rust and protect that my not have excessively strong lingering odors? Fluid Film, Eezox, T-9, others?

Detailed hand inspection starts tomorrow. It's going to take some time to just handle every thing.

Buck

303Guy
03-11-2011, 01:49 AM
Rapid-Tap is a marvelous rust inhibitor. It dries to leave an invisible film. It'll even stave off rust on steel in salt water for a few days. It's not cheap and has to be hand applied as it's designed for drilling and tapping. It also happens to be quite a good penetrator and cleaner. No smell that I have noticed.

odoh
03-11-2011, 02:42 AM
I've heard Ballistol lube works well. Planning on getting some on the next MidwayUSA order and see for myself

HangFireW8
03-12-2011, 01:51 AM
Fluid Film (http://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-Spray-AEROSOL-CAN/dp/B001OKBFBS) won't fix existing rust, but does a darn good job at preventing it and is one of the best in the mil spec salt water spray test. It has kept my snowblower shiny new for 3 Winters now, and it comes in soaking wet in salty water every time I use it.

It smells bad, though, the primary ingredient is lanolin.

waco
03-12-2011, 02:02 AM
+1 for fluid film

oscarflytyer
03-12-2011, 02:05 AM
Evapo-Rust!

Works great! Used it on a cpl sets of carbide dies. One set soaked for cpl days and still ok. But it WILL remove blueing!

mooman76
03-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Might try getting a dehumidifier for the garage. That's what allot of people use back east for the damp humid and musty basements.

nicholst55
03-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Eezox works well for me in humid Maryland.

LaPoint
03-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Ballistol works great to prevent rust from forming. I don't know that it does much to get rid of rust. It does have a very distinct and significant odor. I don't find the odor offensive though.

midnight
03-12-2011, 10:47 AM
I've been using Eezox for a while now and have no complaints. Somewhere I found a test that was done comparing Eezox, break free, and quite a few other rust preventatives using salt, water and time. The only compound preventing all the rust was Eezox with break free a close second. I got a whole bunch when Midway had it on sale for <$5 a can. So far no rust. My house and basement are relatively dry but I use a dehumidifier to keep it <50% in summer and less in winter.

Bob

nanuk
03-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Might try getting a dehumidifier for the garage. That's what allot of people use back east for the damp humid and musty basements.

musty basements need ventilation

easy to do, so it works far better than a dehumidifier

most anyone can do it

blackthorn
03-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Once you get the rust off youe stuff---Buy more stuff!!! Buy so much it fills up most of the garage!!! Park the wet car outside!

man.electric
03-12-2011, 12:03 PM

most anyone can do it

I have great ventilation but still run a dehumidifier set with a humidistat to turn on if the the humidity reaches 35% in my basement. I also have two dehumidifiers in my gun safe in the basement on top of about 3 pounds of silica gel beads. This all started with a few rust specks on the side of one of my dies and I refuse to let it happen again. If you reloading bench is in the same garage as your equipment make sure to keep your powder and primers safe. I usually put two small silica packets inside of every powder container and store them in large sealed ammo cans with more silica beads. My primers that aren't in the dead refrigerator with silica beads are stored in ammo cans with silica beads as well. I am sorry that you have rust and hope that you can find a way to stave off future corrosion.

c3d4b2
03-12-2011, 02:20 PM
+2 for fluid film

mooman76
03-12-2011, 02:38 PM

most anyone can do it

If you have high humidity outside as well as in, it doesn't do enough to just ventilate.

03-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Fluid film, eezox, and probably best of all "Corosion X". In a stand by, any full synthetic motor oil, like Mobil One. I live in a very humid area and they all work well for me.

MtGun44
03-12-2011, 05:53 PM
+1 for dehumidifier. Also an oily rag needs to be kept handy to wipe down every
single thing when you touch it. When I lived in an an unairconditioned house in FLA,
that was a requirement. I wish we could have had a dehumidifier, but we ran fans to
keep a bit cooler, so no way to close up and dehumidify. So guns and equipment rusted
very quickly if not kept oily. Pick up a gun and handle it, you MUST wipe it down with
that oily rag as you put it down or it WILL rust.

Bill

buckndee
03-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

After a more thorough inspection it is not as bad as I thought. Some things have rust specks starting most are fine. Seems very random what was affected. Suspect items showing fuzz had it all a long but started to grow faster. Caught the humidity problem in time before it spread to far. Taken multiple corrective steps but the wife wasn't pleased about parking new car outside till the rain water dries off. Said she understands, she is a good women to put up with my hunting, guns and reloading passions for 35 years. Says she does not even notice the Cape Buffalo, Leopard and other mounts above the washer and dryer area anymore.

Currently cleaning and preserving with Kroil and Breakfree Clip as that's what I have on hand, strong odors or not. I have ordered Eezox and Fluid Film to try as per suggestions.

As far as buying more stuff to fill the available air space. I thought I would never say that I have hit the saturation point but it's true. Loading for 30 plus different cartridges and 3 gauges to supports firearms that need feeding takes up a lot of space.. Need to think about downsizing. I am not a hoarder just well prepared if components get hard to get again. Prices are not going down.

Thanks
Buck

nicholst55
03-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I am not a hoarder just well prepared if components get hard to get again. Prices are not going down.

Thanks
Buck

Brother, ain't that the truth! After our gubiment gets done printing more money and the Japanese cash in some of the $700+ TRILLION (with a 'T') of our debt that they hold so they can rebuild after the recent tsunami, our money won't be worth anything!

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-12-2011, 10:17 PM
20% humidity now . . . usually runs between 5% - 50% . . . what is "rain"? :lol:

John Boy
03-12-2011, 10:27 PM
What other products will stop or remove rust and protect that my not have excessively strong lingering odors? Fluid Film, Eezox, T-9, others?

Eezox Rusting Prevention Test ...9 Months sitting on the bulkhead - 100' from the Atlantic Ocean!
(http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=5457.0)

Rust Prevention Test: Eezox v Fluid Film... 10 Months, 11 days sitting on the bulkhead - 100' from the Atlantic Ocean! (http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=6291.0)

To remove rust ...
Here's the cold, hard facts from the April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop. They did a test of penetrating oils where they measured the force required to loosen rusty test devices. Buy the issue if you want to see how they did the test. The results reported were interesting. The lower the number of pounds the better.

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce
None ................. 516 pounds .
WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25
PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35
Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21
Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds .. $0.75
ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10

onondaga
03-13-2011, 01:20 AM
Man , if you have that much of a rust problem, Lee Liquid Alox or 45:45:10 brushed on lightly is as good as military cosmoline and can be removed with mineral spirits..

Gary

bruce381
03-13-2011, 10:58 PM
metal must have a oily or dry FILM on it to protect from rust. if metal has a film to keep from the air it will not rust. I keep most of my guns in safe with a oily film on them. Not drippy but slight oily to the touch
bruce

midnight
03-14-2011, 08:50 AM
1+ for onondaga's suggestion about using brushed on Lee liquid alox. We use it for long term storage instead of cosmolene which can be hard to get. I even thin it slightly with mineral spiritsand it brushes on easily. Got the idea from Lee when I asked them what they used on the top of the Lee classic press. When you get the press, the top where it is milled flat for the bushing is coated to prevent rust. They said they used liquid alox.

Bob

Papa Jack
03-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Well, I guess to keep the wife from snuffing you out over the odor ...You could try a oil thats been used for many years........OLIVE OIL .
To remove the surface rust try Olive oil with some 4/0 steel wool, rubbing lightly, see if that removes the rust.
Just a suggestion..... "PJ"

Freightman
03-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Please send us some rain, Please! I think I could lay my guns out on the lawn and they wouldn't rust for a year or more. We are just having trouble with wild fire 50+ houses lost already.

old turtle
03-14-2011, 10:05 AM
I take the molds apart and wipe every thing with Marvel Mystery Oil and reassemble. I then store in plastic boxes. I use this on my guns as well. No problems or rust.