PDA

View Full Version : Sitting or Standing?

4thebrdz
11-26-2006, 11:15 AM
When I melt or cast I stand. What do you do and why?
Thanks

R.M.
11-26-2006, 11:42 AM
I stand for both, just so I can make a quick exit if need be. [smilie=s:

eka
11-26-2006, 12:17 PM
I stand

rmb721
11-26-2006, 12:26 PM
I stand for smelting in the garage and sit for casting in the basement. Casting pot is on bench with a range hood over it vented to outside. This works for me.

versifier
11-26-2006, 02:48 PM

Couldn't put it better.

Ricochet
11-26-2006, 03:09 PM
I stand. Actually, I squat when I'm doing the skimming and pouring in smelting, because my turkey fryer is on the concrete outside.

imashooter2
11-26-2006, 04:02 PM

Yep...

woody1
11-26-2006, 04:39 PM
I stand. Actually, I squat when I'm doing the skimming and pouring in smelting, because my turkey fryer is on the concrete outside.

Me too. Regards, Woody

Bent Ramrod
11-26-2006, 06:16 PM
I stand. United, and proudly:mrgreen: . It's probably saved me a couple lapfuls of molten lead over the years.

DuncaninFrance
11-26-2006, 06:44 PM
At the moment I stand 'on my marks'!

montana_charlie
11-26-2006, 07:21 PM
I can't stand to sit. So, sitting just doesn't stand up for me as a good position to be in when the pot is sitting on a stand.
CM

JeffinNZ
11-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Stand. I built my work bench to a height that was best for standing and working many different projects.

I quick retreat idea however has tremendous benefit.

VTDW
11-26-2006, 07:45 PM
I stand when smelting as my set-up makes it necessary. For casting I sit without worry because my butt muscles are so strong. All I have to do to escape a spill is just tighten up and up I go!!!:mrgreen:

DLCTEX
11-26-2006, 08:18 PM
I stand.:-D

waksupi
11-26-2006, 08:40 PM
Just like Carpetman's underwear.

Depends.

Hunter
11-26-2006, 08:45 PM
I will sit for casting or smelting. Back from the pot a couple feet and to the right. I generally make a few hours of either project and like reloading I like to be comfortable while working.

mike in co
11-26-2006, 09:04 PM
SMELTING is done at an uncomfortable standing ...stand to kneeling to pour my muffins.(just did 120 lbs this afternoon)
cast is currently standing because i turn 180 to water drop away from the pot.
my original mentor in cast sat with a cloth trough to dump his cast air cooled boolits in. i'd like to get a sitting setup to drop into covered water ....

sundog
11-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Prone! Y'all ain't nuthin' but a bunch of wusses. And, I don't use no steekin' sprue plate. I wipe the filled blocks with my finger - smoothest lookin' boolit bases one ever did see. For ingots, I cup my hands under a foot actuated spigot on the rendering pot. They come out weighing about 2 lbs apiece, and trust me, it don't take all that long to look them over! sundog

Hunter
11-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Prone! Y'all ain't nuthin' but a bunch of wusses. And, I don't use no steekin' sprue plate. I wipe the filled blocks with my finger - smoothest lookin' boolit bases one ever did see. For ingots, I cup my hands under a foot actuated spigot on the rendering pot. They come out weighing about 2 lbs apiece, and trust me, it don't take all that long to look them over! sundog

I was born in the morning but it won't this morning sundog.:mrgreen:

sundog
11-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Hunter, I'm bettin' you didn't get to town on the turnip truck either. sundog

And, I gotta comment on your signature..., Pilgrim. We got a few folks around who need some help down the trail. I'd be proud.

Hunter
11-26-2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks sundog. I got a good laugh from your post. I don't reckon it would take too long to examine those ingots as they cooled in you hand.
I picked one up the other day I "though" was cool...it took me 10 minutes to find it in the yard.

sundog
11-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Maybe I ought to explain my last post about some folks needing help down the trail. I was referring to foggy bottom and a handful at my gun club. Not the fine folks who habitat cast boolits! sundog

doc25
11-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Stand for both. I want to keep whats in my lap intact (it's small enough already)!

MT Gianni
11-26-2006, 10:37 PM
I've done both. One of the clues I got from a friend in the medical arts was to stand with one foot slightly elevated. Rest it on a couple of 2x4's and alternate legs every so often. This moves the stress fro the back to the legs. Gianni.

waksupi
11-26-2006, 11:06 PM
[quote=sundog;122357]Prone! Y'all ain't nuthin' but a bunch of wusses. And, I don't use no steekin' sprue plate. I wipe the filled blocks with my finger - smoothest lookin' boolit bases one ever did see. For ingots, I cup my hands under a foot actuated spigot on the rendering pot. They come out weighing about 2 lbs apiece, and trust me, it don't take all that long to look them over! sundog[/quot

Corky, I learned many years ago, doing blacksmithing. If it ain't wet, it's hot!

mag_01
11-27-2006, 12:24 AM
I sit and enjoy the experience---after all I still get excited when I make boolits--Just cant get enough---------------Mag

Vegas Vince
11-27-2006, 01:02 AM
I stand when smelting and sit for casting.

4thebrdz
11-27-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm a stander also. Just thought you vets had another position.

XBT
11-27-2006, 11:42 AM
I am very surprised by the number of us that are standing to cast boolits. Never having thought about it until now, I assumed everyone was sitting down to cast as I do.

Standing up for a two or three hour casting session is out of the question for me. You fellers that are standing must be younger or tougher.

Jon K
11-27-2006, 12:18 PM
I sit for casting, to distance myself and not have the hot fumes rising into my face.
I did the opposite of JeffNZ, I built the stand to accomodate sitting.

I stand for smelting, I pour 8-10 lbs into ingots, add more metal, walk away til it's ready to skim, flux & pour. I always leave the pot about half full to help the melting.

Works for me,
Jon
:castmine:

Scrounger
11-27-2006, 02:48 PM
I am very surprised by the number of us that are standing to cast boolits. Never having thought about it until now, I assumed everyone was sitting down to cast as I do.

Standing up for a two or three hour casting session is out of the question for me. You fellers that are standing must be younger or tougher.

Or not as brave!

AZ-Stew
11-27-2006, 05:31 PM
I have bad knees. I sit. It's too painful to stand for long periods.

I have my pot on my loading bench. Top is 3 layers of 3/4 inch plywood, 12 feet long, 2 feet wide (deep), laminated together with Gorilla Glue. Stiff as concrete. Frame is 2x4s with 4x4 legs. Bench weighs 300+ pounds without the presses ot anything else bolted to it, and the bench frame is bolted to the studs in the wall. Something would have to go terribly wrong to spill the lead pot, so I don't worry about it.

Smelting is done outside the shop and much of the work is done standing. I use a camp stool for taking the load off the knees while waiting for material to melt.

Regards,

Stew

Uncle R.
11-27-2006, 06:18 PM
I sit - but I use a tall stool (kinda like a barstool) that leaves me very close to standing. My pot is on a bench at about "kitchen counter" height and it works out well. I'm actually up & down a lot what with fluxing and moving bullets from the cooling pad and... The tall stool makes it pretty comfortable.