View Full Version : price comparsion midway, midsouth and Natchez

tackstrp
03-09-2011, 04:29 PM
price of one Lee Cavity mold at natchez 32.49 , midsouth 36.67 Midway 38.49

shipping for two moulds matchez freight 14.50
midsouth freight 10.45
Midway freight 8.97

Same 401 175 grain TC gees.

The point is big difference in price, and consider who has what in stock. Really have to look at the grand total to figure out what is cheaper.

high standard 40
03-09-2011, 04:36 PM
price of one Lee Cavity mold at natchez 32.49 , midsouth 36.67 Midway 38.49

shipping for two moulds matchez freight 14.50
midsouth freight 10.45
Midway freight 8.97

Same 401 175 grain TC gees.

The point is big difference in price, and consider who has what in stock. Really have to look at the grand total to figure out what is cheaper.

That comes out to less than $1 difference to your door from highest to lowest. Not much.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-09-2011, 05:18 PM
simple answer,
make a large order and go with Natchez, the more you buy the better Natchez is with shipping.

But there are a couple of other things to think about:

Do they carry all the items you want ?
Do they have all the items you want in stock ?
Online coupons...Midway usually has some of those floating around,
Register on all three website's, they'll e-mail you specials all the time.

Oh, another biggie, packaging:
Midway does an adequate job packaging.

The shipping department at Natchez sucks,
they don't know how to pack a shippment,
I get damaged stuff all the time, But they have
a great customer service dept. I have sent stuff
back to them on their dime more than once.
I have repeated told them of there poor quality packaging.

Midsouth packs up their shippments like they're shipping dynamite,
I am very impressed everytime I get a package from them.

tackstrp
03-09-2011, 05:54 PM
yes , i seem to buy in bulk, will order things dont need at the monent. Can make the extra item seem almost free.

turbo1889
03-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Did you check Graf & Sons (grafs.com) ?

Maineboy
03-09-2011, 06:33 PM
You got to shop around. I was in "need" of a new scope, two moulds and some miscellaneous related stuff and priced them at Midway and Mid South. Mid south was about 25 dollars cheaper, so I asked my family for Mid South gift certificates for Christmas. Wouldn't you know it they all gave me Midway certificates. Oh well, it was their money... but if they had listened, I could have got more.

03-09-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm not necessarily touting Midway, but they do offer dealer pricing to C&R licensees, though there is a $40 minimum purchase, otherwise there is a $4 surcharge. Also, their in-stock availability is tops.

Both Midway and Midsouth have superior customer service departments.

I've looked at Natchez but have not bought from them. I didn't know about their admitantly poor shipping department...that, alone, is enough to make me buy elsewhere. Thanks, JonB.

Don't overlook Widener's and Powder Valley.

winelover
03-09-2011, 07:30 PM
I buy mostly from Midsouth. They have the best prices IMO. What I don't like is that they charge you for back ordered items, unlike Natchez. My pet peave with Natchez is their handling charge. I rarely use Midway, they seem to have the highest prices. These days, with component shortages, sometime you just have to "Bite the Boolet".

Winelover

barrybrice
03-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Graf's shipping is $5. I like that!

Skipper488
03-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Same mold at Graf's $38.99 shipping $4.95 for a total of $43.94 compared to $46+ for all the others. ding ding ding, we have a winner. :D

arjacobson
03-09-2011, 10:57 PM
I have had good luck with midway. They honor my c&r and shipping is pretty fast..

Tinbullet
03-09-2011, 10:58 PM
I usually buy sale items from Midway with least expensive shipping. Their return policy is good and the birthday gift is a nice touch.

DGV
03-10-2011, 12:11 AM
Remember when Midway had a free shipping on everything. I think there prices on some items are very high. It pays to comparison shop.

oscarflytyer
03-10-2011, 12:17 AM
I continually find myself going back to Midway for my supplies. Their customer service is second to none in my experience. And I def like their shipping options. I ordered some 45 parts late last week with the minimum/longest shipping. And it arrived much sooner than promised or expected. Plus they have just about anything I want.

DoubleAdobe
03-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Another vote for Graf & Sons. I comparison shop with shipping added in all the time and usually Graf gets my order.

Skipper488
03-10-2011, 11:40 PM
I do think Midway's web site is the best to navigate with the most useful information.

nonferrous
03-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Back when primers were made out of unobtainum, I had 5000 on back order with Midsouth for quite a while, When they finally came in, they were about 3.00 per 1000 higher.
Not only did they honor the back order price, they applied that old price to another 5000 when I doubled the order.

I have never had a bad deal from Midsouth.

Tatume
03-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Midway does have good customer service, but Midsouth is just as good. I've never had to use customer service at Graf & Sons.

Midway puts heavy items in a shipping box and throws in a couple of pillow air bags. The carton arrives with the packaging broken open, and the contents damaged. They are good about making it right, but it adds weeks to the process. I have completely given up on buying bullets from Midway

Midway is almost always out of stock, and expects customers to backorder. I think Potterfields business model includes reduced warehouse expenses, at the customers expense. Other mail-order businesses also run low on stock, but Midway is the worst.

Midway often has the best price. You have to check shipping though, as they also often charge exorbitant shipping.

Graf and Sons often has a higher price, but the shipping sometimes favors them, by a significant amount.

Shop all of them.

10x
03-13-2011, 10:26 PM
Must be nice to have companies like that.
Here in Canada stuff is either expensive or unobtainium because the stores don't think it will sell.
And I don't think any of those stores can ship to Canada legally.

Skipper488
03-14-2011, 10:17 AM
I can drive to MidSouth and save myself the shipping but I really hate their website. Really hard to navigate, very unproffesional looking. Their prices are good but I have to pay 10% sales tax.

1Shirt
03-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Check them all, do comparisons every time. In this economy, every buck saved counts big time!
1Shirt~:coffeecom

Shiloh
03-15-2011, 11:23 PM
I have ordered from all three last year, Midway this year. None of these folks have everything I
needed when ordered. Midway had three of ten items on back order last week. 30%. Used to never happen. I ordered anyway on a Monday, and received my order Wednesday. Outstanding service.

Shiloh

alamogunr
03-16-2011, 09:17 AM
I usually buy from Graf's on my C&R. Prices are good and usually everything is in stock.

I like Mid-South too but don't like the 9.75% sales tax that TN residents have to pay. Natchez is out because they don't sell to residents of Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia. They are a wholesaler and don't want to compete with their retail customers.

Midway isn't bad and with the C&R I don't have to wait for an item to go on sale to get a good price.

None of them can beat Powder Valley on powder and primers.

John
W.TN

bowfin
03-16-2011, 09:45 AM
The biggest drawback with Graf & Sons is the extraordinary amount of items they list that are out of stock. I find it hard to put together an order without running into one or more items "out of stock". That means either splitting the order between two different places (and two sets of shipping charges) or going to the place that has everything, even if it is a little pricier.

For example, 32 out of 102 listed selections for 6.5mm bullets are listed as "out of stock".

wallenba
03-16-2011, 09:48 AM
If each has what I need and everything tallies up close, I usually go with who is closest and has a record of short delivery time. Midway usually wins out.

Irascible
03-17-2011, 11:09 PM
I find Midways packaging horrible, but there response to complaints very good. 2 of my orders in the past year have been bricks of expensive 22 ammo and when I opened the box they were scattered all over. Midway refunded the shipping when I complained. Basicly, there was too much room around the bricks so that they could slide around. Acouple of air pillows won't stop that weight!
I just bought a mould from them and it came in a box that would hold 10 moulds. Luckily the plastic box didn't open and everything was OK.

Lloyd Smale
03-18-2011, 05:38 AM
out of all of them i do more bussiness with midway. A guy can make up a big order and then price each thing at each website and find that half will be cheaper on one of the other sights but the other half will be more expensive. To much of a pain to split up orders and shipping usually eats up any savings doing that anyway. Plus when i order from midway the stuffs at my door in 2 days 3 days max. With the others its at least a week.