PDA

View Full Version : Lead Levels

LAH
03-09-2011, 12:01 PM
I'm on a low dose pill which requires blood work every 3 months. I asked the doctor you have the lab check my lead levels while they were at it. The results were eye opening.

First I've cast bullets since 1973. I've cast tons of them & I do mean tons. I began in the kitchen on the stove top. From there to an out building. From the out building to the basement. From the basement to a shop. I've cast with fans & without. I've used a machine, master caster, & plenty of hand moulds under a master pot.

While I've not fired many rounds indoor, there's been many outdoors with the wind in my face more than a little. I've handled & polished a couple tons of brass in my time also.

Said all that to say I've been around some lead in many different conditions. I chewed Mail Pouch for years, smoked, & drank plenty of water while casting. All these are no nos. So you could say I wasn't very careful.

However, I was always careful not to stir up any dust while cleaning my work area. I always kept my hands away from my mouth while casting or handling lead. Held my cup at the bottom while drinking, etc. Another habit was to wash my hands "good" after casting, handling lead or brass.

So the labs. Doctor said normal lead levels are 0 to 9 on the scale. {Have no idea which scale}. My levels came back 3. I'm on the low end of normal. I'm a very thankful man this morning for sure.

So do like Creeker, keep the melt temp down, keep the dust down, & wash them there hands.

mold maker
03-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Much the same story here. I've had levels checked once a year for the last half doz. My levels were always 1-4. Common sense dictates that you don't put dirty objects to your mouth. You eliminate dusty material (dross) asap, and keep airborn dust down to the limit. I use the same material to sweep up as I use for flux. Very lightly oiled sawdust collects the ozide dust and makes it easy to dispose of.
It is possible that some folks are more prone to the problem, but I have none.
Not saying lead isn't dangerous, but it's simple to avoid those problems. Just work clean.

imashooter2
03-09-2011, 01:17 PM
If you look up "The Lead Blood Levels Poll" you'll see the same results over and over.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=16442

Guesser
03-09-2011, 01:34 PM
I had mine checked last summer for my 65th birthday check up. Mine came back "4". I also have been casting for over half my life. I guess if you don't lick your fingers you aren't going to get the level up. Now for a brain cell census!!!!!!!!!

MtGun44
03-09-2011, 02:37 PM
You need to get the ACTUAL numerical value. The units are milligrams per decaliter, mg/dl

If your actual numerical value is 3 , that is very good. If the doc is saying 0-9 mg/dl is the
allowable range - he is wrong.

Up to 40 mg/dl you are OK, nothing needs to be done. Over that you need to change your
lifestyle. Most people that are careful and only cast boolit, reload and shoot outdoors will
be around 5-15 or so. I shoot indoors a lot, and I have been runing about 20-25 for the
last couple decades.

There is a problem with a lot of physicians that are not really up on lead issues. If they do
a "quick look" on lead levels, they often come up with saying anything over 10 mg/dl is
a problem, which is only true for children. Lead can cause developmental problems with
children, so the allowables are much lower for children. For adults, the OSHA limit is
40, but some docs freak out at 25 because they wrongly think that 10 mg/dl is the
limit and start calling for chelation therapy, etc.

Do not put anything in you mouth (food, cigarettes, pipe, etc) while reloading or in
a lead contaminated (casting) area and you will have covered about 90% of the problem
adequately. Shooting a lot on indoor ranges can be an issue if they do not have good
enough ventilation.

Bill

LAH
03-09-2011, 04:18 PM
MtGun44, the report, of which I have a copy, reads my level to be 3 mcg/dl. Doctor only said 0 to 9 was normal. Are you saying this is wrong? I haven't a clue.

imashooter2
03-09-2011, 08:16 PM
0-9 mcg/dl is the acceptable range for developing children, not adults. It should also be noted that like salt and fat, acceptable levels keeps being lowered.

Suo Gan
03-09-2011, 08:33 PM
You need to get the ACTUAL numerical value. The units are milligrams per decaliter, mg/dl

If your actual numerical value is 3 , that is very good. If the doc is saying 0-9 mg/dl is the
allowable range - he is wrong.

Up to 40 mg/dl you are OK, nothing needs to be done. Over that you need to change your
lifestyle. Most people that are careful and only cast boolit, reload and shoot outdoors will
be around 5-15 or so. I shoot indoors a lot, and I have been runing about 20-25 for the
last couple decades.

There is a problem with a lot of physicians that are not really up on lead issues. If they do
a "quick look" on lead levels, they often come up with saying anything over 10 mg/dl is
a problem, which is only true for children. Lead can cause developmental problems with
children, so the allowables are much lower for children. For adults, the OSHA limit is
40, but some docs freak out at 25 because they wrongly think that 10 mg/dl is the
limit and start calling for chelation therapy, etc.

Do not put anything in you mouth (food, cigarettes, pipe, etc) while reloading or in
a lead contaminated (casting) area and you will have covered about 90% of the problem
adequately. Shooting a lot on indoor ranges can be an issue if they do not have good
enough ventilation.

Bill

Nice to know, thanks

ubetcha
03-09-2011, 08:48 PM
I have heard that if you take vitiman B ( and I don't recall which vitamin B or if it's B12 or what)that it's suppose to help reduce lead levels.IT's supposibly given to people for lead reduction of extremely high levels

MtGun44
03-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Doc is not too up on lead, he is taking the children's level. Adults are OK under 40. 3 is
REALLY good, keep up the good hygene, you are doing a great job.

Hate to break it to you but physicians are human. Most have little or no contact with
lead exposure, so just have passing knowledge. I am not a physician, but I have paid
VERY close attention and done a bunch of research on the topic since a friend got sick
from lead from shooting on our indoor range about 28 yrs ago. I still shoot on the
range regularly, but because I have studied the topic, I know what to do and not do
and what blood level is REALLY a problem.

Also, I made an error in the previous post, it is micrograms per decaliter, mcg/dl , like
you reported, not milligrams.

Bill

kmag
03-10-2011, 12:14 AM
Ive been smelting, casting and reloading since 1958. Have cast inside with no vents when I was younger and have shot a lot on indoor ranges. Had my blood checked for the first time last month - came back as a 1. Surprised me !!!

captaint
03-10-2011, 01:56 AM
I've been casting for a few years now. So, 2 years ago I had my lead levels checked during normal blood work. My number was 3. Good. A couple months ago I had it checked again. Now it's 12. Not real good. I have been shooting rimfires indoors for a couple of years every week or so. So, lately I've been more careful when handling lead. I still have a funny taste in my mouth when I leave the indoor range though. enjoy Mike

LAH
03-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the come back Mike.

Springfield
03-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Mine has been a high of 13, right now it is 7. My doc looks things up, said in our area(smog) most people he has tested are 3-5(non-shooters). At 20 he has to inform the local health guys, at 30 he has the authority to have the persons work inspected to check for the problem. My numbers dropped when I stopped tumbling my empties in the garage and moved them outside. I rarely shoot indoors but shoot cowboy matches 2-3 times a month. I also cast 5-8 thousand bullets a month. My Doc stopped testing me every year as my numbers weren't high enough to justify it. Keep the dust down and your fingers out of your mouth and nose.

MtGun44
03-10-2011, 02:45 PM
OSHA says that a worker with under 40 is good to go. Obviously, lower is better.

As to "inform the local health guys", I would presume this is if your exposure was work
related. They have no business in your hobby, but then again you live in the People's
Republik of Kalifornia, where logic is not a tool that is permitted in government. I support
the workplace enforcement, since people usually don't have a choice, but they should
not go beyond advice for a hobby. Maybe that is what they would do.

People need to be properly informed, but after that, in their private lives, it is not
the government's business.

13 is fine, you will live a long and healthy life if you stayed at 13 for the next 40 yrs.

Bill

leadman
03-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Mine went up a couple years ago to 12 and I noticed a difference. My blood pressure went up and the base of my fingernails had a purple hue. Also had a metallic taste in my mouth. All this went away when my level went down to 6.
I followed the Minnestoa diet for children with increased lead levels and it worked, along with changes I made in my casting/shotmaking area.

As with all things in our environment some people react at lower or higher exposure levels. Get me near a citrus tree in bloom and I can hardly see and my nose won't stop running.

mooman76
03-10-2011, 04:39 PM
I finally asked my Dr to check mine(I kept forgetting) since he checks my blood at least every 6 months and he freaked out when I asked like I thought something was wrong and I wasn't telling him. It came back a 2 or 3, I don't remember which but either way it was very good.

Wayne Smith
03-10-2011, 10:34 PM
MtGun44, the report, of which I have a copy, reads my level to be 3 mcg/dl. Doctor only said 0 to 9 was normal. Are you saying this is wrong? I haven't a clue.

If you have the report it should give a normal range value along with your value. I'd be curious what normal range the lab reports? Might have some bearing on the MD's reaction.

*Paladin*
03-10-2011, 11:23 PM
I've been a firearms instructor in the military for 10 of my almost 19 years in. All of the ranges I worked on (on a daily basis) have had enclosed firing lines and one range I ran was a completely indoor/enclosed range w/ ventilation/air handler system. My blood gets tested twice a year, and it's always been low on the acceptable levels.

Now my hearing on the other hand, well I'll just say that gunfire and IED's aren't good for your hearing. Use your ear pro!

smokemjoe
03-10-2011, 11:47 PM
I been doing this since 1959, doc found this out and has been testing me for the last 5 years, It always come back okey, He said dont go over 2 - 5gallons bucket a year,

bobthenailer
03-11-2011, 09:31 AM
I know of 3 people who got lead posining , all three shot extensvily at indoor ranges that were not ventlated correctly ! all 3 took some kind of drugs for a short while and were cured .
My self ive been shooting at a different indoor range since 1975 during the october through may 22 cal indoor pistol leauge other than that i shoot outdoors.
I have also been casting bullets since 1972 indoors with a exhaust fan . I got my blood levels checked a few years ago after hearing about others, and i was normal .

Cherokee
03-11-2011, 09:07 PM
I have my blood checked every year because of meds and always ask for a lead level test. It always comes back as "normal", never get any numbers. I think I'll ask next time.

cbrick
03-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Had my lead levels checked a few months ago during some regular blood tests. Doc didn't give me any numbers, just said it was at the low end of normal level. I was happy enough with that to not ask many more questions and let it go.

Rick

LAH
03-11-2011, 11:17 PM
If you have the report it should give a normal range value along with your value. I'd be curious what normal range the lab reports? Might have some bearing on the MD's reaction.

The report show my level at 3 mcg/dl. The Doctor says 0-9 is normal. The 0-9 is shown on the report without comment. Now my Dr. isn't an expert on this & I'm told on another board 0 to 9 is the normal range for youth. That's about all I can add Wayne.

BOOM BOOM
03-12-2011, 11:16 PM
HI,
GOOD TO HEAR.
Hope mine are the same as yours. Been casting 20 lbs. every Friday & Sat., that I possible could, since the snow fell. :Fire::Fire:

MtGun44
03-14-2011, 02:31 AM
Wash up afterwards, do not drink or smoke or eat with lead contaminated hands and you
will have taken care of 99% of the problem.

Bill

mroliver77
03-15-2011, 07:32 PM
And dont chew on 100 year old window sills.
J