PDA

View Full Version : Sand bags

nonferrous
03-08-2011, 11:39 PM
I suppose that this is not a new idea, but I never saw it mentioned. I needed to sight in a couple of handguns last week and did not have sandbags to take to the range. I had some sand in a bucket but it was damp and I was in a hurry.
The walnut shell media in the tumbler was due for a change. I simply put enough in a gallon ziplock bag, that when rolled up and sealed, slipped tightly into a cloth 25 pound shot bag and it's perfect. The density is just right and they don't weigh too much.
I have a plastic utility box that holds two of them plus ammo and serves as a base for them at the range.

It's about time I did something for free. I have been reloading for 35 years and I think that just now, Moneywise, I can see light at the end of the tunnel and I am sure that pretty soon now, if I stay away from the Midway and the Midsouth catalogs and web sites and don't try anything new, I might,,,, --- Nah.

Hardcast416taylor
03-09-2011, 01:17 AM
That is what I`ve been doing with my old media, corn and walnut, for quite some time. I make my sandbags out of the bottom part of the leg, knee down, of my old "holy" jeans.Robert

BulletFactory
03-09-2011, 01:21 AM
Good idea. I've been using the hood of my car.

geargnasher
03-09-2011, 02:04 AM
Good idea. I've been using the hood of my car.

I have a customer who does all his shooting off the hood of his pickup: Rifles, revolvers, you name it. The paint was history years ago from muzzle and cylinder gap blast, and there's at least one crease from a miscalculated .22. He said he used to roll out a piece of carpet, but it kept catching on fire.

Gear

Dman4321
03-09-2011, 03:09 AM
I'm a big fan of using the open door/A pillar gap on my pickup, with a nice piece of heavy cloth to keep the paint up to shape... the need for sandbags has been increasing, maybe I'll start saving my tumbling media!

Artful
03-09-2011, 03:14 AM
I have a customer who does all his shooting off the hood of his pickup: Rifles, revolvers, you name it. The paint was history years ago from muzzle and cylinder gap blast, and there's at least one crease from a miscalculated .22.

Got a scope on a 22LR - put a crease in my 64 chevy - was not happy about it.:cry: I miss that old car.

I have two bags filled with buck wheat hulls - you can use as rifle bags or put them in the microwave and use them as a neck/hand warmer.

shotman
03-09-2011, 03:36 AM
dont try the door deal with a 460 S&W $266 for new wind shield. Buddy found out the hard way

BABore
03-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Most all of my bags are filled with rice or malted barley. Much easier to pack around. Some guns will also not shoot to their potential over a harder, sand filled bag. Sometimes a soft bag or even hand holding the forearm is necessary.

fecmech
03-09-2011, 11:02 AM
I use "Kitty Litter" in 25 lb. shot bags closed with a tie wrap. Light, easy to carry and seem to work just as well as the heavier sand bags.

onondaga
03-09-2011, 02:24 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/rhymeswithwhat/AtBench.jpg

My rear bag was purchased empty and filled with walnut shell media, Rice and grains can attract rodents. My front rest is made from a 1.5 ton automotive scissor jack.

Gary

nonferrous
03-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Gary,

1 & 1/2 ton ought to just about do it.

You are right about the meal and grains, I was a little worried about the walnut. Here in Florida it dosen't take much for the critterrs to take over

nanuk
03-09-2011, 07:38 PM
I wonder about those little poly beads that fill cheap bean bag chairs... inside a jeans leg or something....

Leadmelter
03-09-2011, 07:52 PM
I learned my lesson with sandbags and revolver by the fifth shot. I took an old pair of jeans, cut the legs off and put the bag inside and sow shut.
The denim is very resistant to flash.
Gerry

beanflip
03-09-2011, 07:52 PM
zorb all and or floor dry for spills works good and its cheap (dont use the used stuff)

HangFireW8
03-09-2011, 10:16 PM
My front rest is made from a 1.5 ton automotive scissor jack.

Awesome, Gary! I wish I had thought of that.

The young guys pay attention when I arrive and get out my Wichita XBR. Then they snicker when I pull out the ancient Mausers and beatup whatnot. Then they pay attention again when they see my targets.

Always keep 'em guessing, that's what I say.

Centaur 1
03-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Empty .22 shells work good also.

Doc Highwall
03-09-2011, 10:34 PM
I have plastic poly beads in mine. Uncooked rice or peas will work also but if they get wet they will look like the top of Obamas head after they start to grow.

prickett
03-09-2011, 11:24 PM
I suppose that this is not a new idea, but I never saw it mentioned. I needed to sight in a couple of handguns last week and did not have sandbags to take to the range. I had some sand in a bucket but it was damp and I was in a hurry.
The walnut shell media in the tumbler was due for a change. I simply put enough in a gallon ziplock bag, that when rolled up and sealed, slipped tightly into a cloth 25 pound shot bag and it's perfect. The density is just right and they don't weigh too much.
I have a plastic utility box that holds two of them plus ammo and serves as a base for them at the range.

It's about time I did something for free. I have been reloading for 35 years and I think that just now, Moneywise, I can see light at the end of the tunnel and I am sure that pretty soon now, if I stay away from the Midway and the Midsouth catalogs and web sites and don't try anything new, I might,,,, --- Nah.

I use aquarium gravel. Much neater than using sand.