PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 54 cal great plains rifle

Fly
03-08-2011, 05:25 PM
I just ordered a Lyman Great Plains 54 cal.I have never had a 54 cal before.
What is a good starting load of real bp for this rifle.

Fly

ktw
03-08-2011, 05:54 PM
I use 90 gr of FFFg for hunting and 60gr for more informal shooting, both behind a patched roundball.

The 90 grain load shoots tighter groups. The 60gr load doesn't deplete the powder supply quite as fast.

I have a 30 gr spout on the flask, so its two drops or three, depending on the purpose.

-ktw

swamp
03-08-2011, 05:58 PM
For starting I use the caliber in grains. For a 54 start with 55 grians and work up from there.
swamp

loosecannon
03-08-2011, 06:29 PM
With a 435 gr thompson maxi hunter bullet I cast, I use 90 gr ffg. Accurate and devastating.

Fly
03-08-2011, 08:30 PM
What do you guys think of this rifle?I really got there kit & look forword to building it tomy own liking.Brown the barrel & hardware & keep it simple.It looks from the pictures to have
more drop in the stock than most Hawkin stile rifles, TC,CVA ect & I hope thats right.

I really wanted a flint, but could not pass up the price on a close out.My other half does
not know I ordered it yet, but I'm used to getting yelled at,Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

No I was hoping there was some that have these rifles could chime in & tell your likes
& dislikes & how much powder you like on the 54 cal.
Thanks Fly

ktw
03-08-2011, 08:46 PM
What do you guys think of this rifle?

I think the Interarms/Lyman Great Plains Rifle is the best deal going on a factory, reasonably traditional, sidelock muzzleloader. They are comparable in quality to the T/C guns, cost a bit less and I like the styling of the Great Plains much better. They are better quality than most of the other spanish/italian imports. I haven't run into one yet that wasn't a great shooter.

The Interarms lock isn't anything special. I think that makes a more significant difference in a flintlock than a caplock. You are better off getting the GPR in a caplock and save up for a higher end flintlock with a top of the line lock.

To get anything better requires a pretty significant price jump; $650+ for parts or $900+ for a built rifle.

-ktw

Good Cheer
03-08-2011, 10:51 PM
The .54 GPR is simply an awesome machine in flint and percussion.
My only "complaint" would be that a selection of reasonably priced swap out barrels would be nice to drool over.

Shooter
03-09-2011, 08:52 AM
The GPR is a copy of Jim Bridger's Hawken.
One trick is to replace the adjustment screw for the set trigger with a longer one from the hardware store.
The screw that comes with the gun is too short for a light touch on the set trigger.
Lawyers, I guess.

Jim
03-09-2011, 09:45 AM
I have a GPR in .54 left hand caplock(had to order that!) and really enjoy it. Using Dutch Schultz' method, I shoot loads of 30 grains for the kids, 60 grains for me and 90 grains for deer. It took me a while to get there, but I finally found a combination that allows me to put .535 RBs in a six inch bull at a hundred yards off the bench with the 90 grain load. I sure wish I could shoot that good without a bench!

northmn
03-09-2011, 11:38 AM
I use a similar load in my 54 to what is posted, only 90 grains of 2f Swiss. That still hits the chronograph at about 1700 fps which is plenty for what I shoot at. Rifles, even of the same brand seem to tend to have their own little quirks. Lots of people shoot about 60 grains up close for plinking.

DP

waksupi
03-09-2011, 12:05 PM
The GPR is a copy of Jim Bridger's Hawken.
One trick is to replace the adjustment screw for the set trigger with a longer one from the hardware store.
The screw that comes with the gun is too short for a light touch on the set trigger.
Lawyers, I guess.

The GPR is not a copy of the Bridger rifle. I have handled that particular gun at the state museum in Helena, Mt.
John Baird and another individual were in the process of making an exact copy, but I seem to remember they ran into some sort of production problems. I think they were working with Uberti at that time, and I'm not sure the project ever saw production. I would have to go back through the old Buckskin Reports, I believe John did a series of articles as they were working towards a production point.

Fly
03-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Jim how thick of patch do you use with a .535 ball.In my .50 cal,s I use a .490 ball.I would
have thought a .535 would be tight if indeed that muzzle is right on at .540.

Do these barrels differ in size?
Fly

03-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Yep, the GPR is simply a general facsimile of a "Hawken" style plains rifle. Even the original Hawken rifles varied as to style/specs over the period of production and were subject to special order, etc. But, the GPR comes closer than the T/C "Hawken" :). I've looked at maybe 5-6 original Hawken rifles and none were the same and none were the same as the GPR.

As to bore dimensions of the GPR .54. The ones I've been around were pretty close to true .54 caliber so .530- .545" RBs with correct patch work fine.

As to bore condition... the ones I've been around were a little rough in bore surface but could be "shot in" or easily lapped. They shot fine.

As to the lock... a little rough but funcitonal and would smooth out with use or could be lapped.

DIRT Farmer
03-09-2011, 11:20 PM
I have always went with 1/2 caliber in grains of powder for small game, one caliber for medium game, 1 1/2 caliber for bigger. 25-30, 50-60, 75-80 grains in a 54 for a patched round ball. This comes from historic loads in origionals. Then there is the load for rhose dangerous nut chompers, 30 grains in a 32.

mooman76
03-09-2011, 11:42 PM
I like to start out with one grain per caliber for rifle and half that for pistols. So start with 55gr and work up in 5 grain increments until you are satisfied with your load. You can always tune it up or down as needed for the situation.

03-10-2011, 01:28 AM
Since your OP was specific to loads for the GPR....

What I do with any new ML is to shoot it a lot. Get used to it. With a patched RB or a patch on a cleaning jag you can also get a "feel" for the bore condition. Unless something is really out of kilter with the bore, a bunch of shooting will help lap the bore. At some point as you get the feel for the best balance between ease of loading and accuracy you can start homing in on the most accurate load, best accurate hunting load, most pleasant load to shoot. I've shot quite a few different 54 cal RB muzzleloaders and every one of them was slightly different in what it liked. No reason to think yours will be any different. Some .530 and .535 RBs and some .010 and .015 patching and some blackpowder then it's up to the shooter to find out.

If it were mine I'd probably start at 50 gr FFg, .530 RB and .015 ticking lubed with moose milk. I'd shoot off a rest and start gaining data on accuracy. Then I'd up the charge to 70 gr FFg keeping everything else the same. Record the data. Then go to 90 gr FFg. I may try swabbing/cleaning between shots to see how that affected accuracy. No one can give you a shurnuff prescription for THE magic load. Of my current two 54 RB rifles-- one likes 75 gr FFg, .530 RB, .015 ticking... the other likes 90 gr FFg, 535 RB, .010-.012 tight weave cotton drill. I can get slightly better accuracy with a felt overpowder wad in both guns. For range use the only lube I use is moose milk- couple of drops on wad and patch.

northmn
03-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Can't add much to 405's advice except to say it parrallels my experience with about any caliber. I have seen a lot of barrels that needed a "shoot in" . As to the starting load of grans =caliber. Works for a small range of calibers and not so well for the smaller ones or bigger ones. Ned Roberts suggested 3 grains of powder for 7 grains of ball weight which is not all bad in my experience.

DP

Mr Peabody
03-10-2011, 11:04 PM
I got my third one last year. It's the nicest of the bunch. It's a .54 where the other two were .50's. It likes FFg hands down over FFFg. My .54 Renegade is the opposite. It starts to shoot fairly well at 70gr's of FFg and gets better up to 90 gr's.
An over powder felt wad helps some. Enjoy the heck out of this rifle! It will shoot better than most.

lbaize3
03-12-2011, 08:19 PM
I have had a Lyman Great Plains flintlock for a number of years now. I enjoy plinking with 80 grains of Goex 2f pushing a .535 ball with a .015 patch. The one in 66 twist is designed just for round ball, so I have not tried any other bullets. I certainly have no trouble keeping it on a pie plate at 100 yards, even with these old eyes. My TC Renegade caplock with steel furnature has a one in 48 twist and shoots bullets as well as ball. Equally accurate at a hundred yards. I also have a Blue Ridge (from Cabela's) rifle in 36 caliber. This one I have not spent enough time with to get the load and accuracy down as well as I have with the 54 cal rifles. Maybe this spring...

Enjoy your kit and the build. Take your time and take pictures of each stage so you can share it with us.
Leonard

nicholst55
03-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Assuming that you have the slow-twist RB barrel, as opposed to the fast-twist 'Hunter' barrel, I use 80 grains of 2F in mine, with good accuracy. I used the same load in the Hunter barrel with various conical bullets with excellent accuracy (4" at 100 yards).

The Lyman GPR does have a few quirks which are worth mentioning. You've already been told abut the adjustment screw for the triggers. The breech steps down to around .38 just behind the drum, and fouling will accumulate there unless you take special steps to clean it. I use a .36 scraper and a .38 bore brush for that. The Hunter barrel that I have was prone to misfire, and I kept that flash hole C-L-E-A-N! I tried musket caps and that didn't help. I eventually switched to the RB barrel, and it doesn't have that problem. I've heard of others with the same problem, including one thread that was posted here recently. One other problem that I encountered was the trigger guard screws pulled right out of the stock. Don't ask how I managed that, cuz I ain't telling! Easy enough to repair, but worth mentioning. The screws are very short.

I really enjoy that gun - so much that I bought another in flint. I think you'll be happy with your's.

white eagle
03-13-2011, 01:22 AM
the GPR is one I have wanted forever
Seems I always buy something else when the money is at hand
in my 54 though I use like some 90 gr for hunting with a patched r/b
for my conical shooting i drop to 80 gr (for the time being)
nice score !!!

white eagle
12-27-2014, 02:45 PM
seems as though while doing research on the GPR I came across this old thread
I just bought a 54 cal. GPR today the day after X/mas 2014
waiting for its arrival yipeeee

Rick Hodges
12-27-2014, 04:48 PM
Nice...mine likes 90 gr. of 3f (yes fff) goex and patched .530 RB. Accurate and devastating on deer.

doc1876
01-01-2015, 04:25 PM
I found this one at a pawn shop for $250 a couple of years ago. It had a orange color to the stock, and the prettiest blue barrel and fittings you ever saw. Couldn't stand it. Took it home, stripped all of the blue, browned it, and took ebony stain to the stock, and added the patch box. (Patch box addition is not for beginners!!)
I am much happier with it.
It hits dead at 100 yards with 95 g of FFFg and a patched round ball.

Maven
01-01-2015, 05:21 PM
Nice job on the patchbox addition and other mods, doc1876!

snoopy
01-03-2015, 07:53 AM
Picked one up at a pawn shop couple years ago,great rifle. Mine likes70gr 3f w/rb, love it and so does my shoulder.

centershot
01-14-2015, 07:46 PM
Fly, click on the link below, read, and then send him a postal MO for $19.95. I promise you, it will be the best $20 you EVER spent! Dutch has been around for a long time, many international muzzleloading rifle teams use his system. If you do it as he describes, you'll have your GPR shooting like a champ in no time! http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/index.html

fouronesix
01-14-2015, 08:23 PM
Agreed,
I like Schoultz' methods and have evolved to the same for most of my shooting. He's not afraid to do his own research and report on his findings- that may or may not agree with the net crowd:) His "Tips" section on the site is worth the read.

Fly
01-14-2015, 08:50 PM
Boy this ole post came back from long ago.Ya I love mine also.I put a fast twist GPH barrel on
mine, & a lyman peep sight.I,m casting the 50cal S&W bullet Hot Rod Ron came up with &
this thing shoots unbelievable.
Fly

magyars4
01-14-2015, 08:57 PM
Mine is a caplock and I have found 70 gr 3F works best for me.

white eagle
01-16-2015, 05:53 PM
I like the patchbox on my T/C
is it that difficult to install one on the GPR?
or is there a how to some where?

vietnam71
01-17-2015, 09:09 PM
My first post on this forum....

I have the GPR .54 Cal and it loves 80gr fffg with .15 -.18 ticking. it like .535 RB as well. I use Ballistol or Mink Oil as a light lube. My 54 Flintlock built by Matt Avance from TVM likes the same load.

They have always recommended using the caliber of your gun as a starting point and work up until you find what your gun likes. In this case 54gr of whatever powder you decide on..

Have fun with the new rifle.

Deputy Dog
01-17-2015, 09:32 PM
I have a 54 GPR my load is 85grs ffg and .22 ticking have had the gun 15 years or so killed several deer with it just now starting to shoot it again I did change nipples to a musket cap didnt wast money buying it they are a little more expensive now but what else isnt.

doc1876
01-21-2015, 10:54 PM
White eagle, they are a pia.

LAGS
01-22-2015, 01:51 AM
I like White Eagle would like to have a Patch box or Cap Box on my GPR.
But I cant seem to be able to find any, similar to the T/C that I use to have or even the Traditions Hawken rifles that are out there now.
Anyone got any Ideas where i can find them.
The ones at Dixie were an Oval Door design, and I prefer more of a Round door on my rifles.
The inletting one is not a problem for me, since I build a lot of stocks from blanks

fouronesix
01-22-2015, 10:06 AM
Track of the Wolf and other suppliers have many different styles/types. Easy to file the outside frame contour to any desired shape.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/813/1?PageSize=50

LAGS
01-22-2015, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the info.
I have ordered a round patchbox from them right after you sent the link .
They got some COOL stuff. thank you

Good Cheer
01-22-2015, 08:59 PM
Fly, the GPR is a great platform rifle.
Had a .40 x 16" twist barrel on my percussion model for quite a few years and got a .30 bore x 48" twist blank that I'm threatening to make into a flinter squirrel barrel to swap out on the .54. They're great guns!