PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Primers for $15-$16 per 1000

missionary5155
03-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Good morning
Doing some hunting about the primer sellers and saw where Powder Valley & Wideners has Wolf primers in that price range & In Stock. [smilie=w:
Mike in Peru

oldhickory
03-08-2011, 09:22 AM
I never used Wolf primers. Are they any good?

Thanks for the heads-up, Mike.:-)

7br
03-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Drove down to Powder Valley and picked up 5K of wolf primers and 3 lbs of powder for $138. Talked to the one of the main guys and he seems to be pretty sharp. I haven't used them before so I asked him what feedback he has gotten. Here is his take:

The primer anvil is not supported so seat them as deep in the pocket as you can.
They are as hard or harder than the old CCI primers, so guns with light springs may have issues.
They are hard to seat and need to be seated deep so you are going to get worn out hand seating them.
They seem to be more prone to contamination. Be even more careful handling them.

He also said that a lot of the military high power shooters have switched to the small rifle magnum and are reporting velocity SD's dropping into the single digits.

Hope this helps. I plan on loading some up this weekend and will shoot them up next weekend.

clintsfolly
03-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Have loaded and shoot over 5000 and will buy more!! Clint

GabbyM
03-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Powder Valley lowered there prices on Wolf after Wideners placed them on sale. Right now I notice PV is out of LR primers. Wideners has them.

If you have some J bullet purchases to make this summer you may want to get it done within a couple weeks. Prices are going up due to metal price. Lead is up 40 cents this winter. J Bullets have already gone up ten or more percent but are going to take another jump.

mroliver77
03-08-2011, 02:05 PM
I have been shooting Wolf primer exclusively for the last couple of years. I have not experienced any abnormalities with them. They are just a touch bigger but I have not noticed it wearing out my hands seating them. All primers should be fully seated so I don't know from whence that came. The only peev I have is that the Large Pistol Magnum primers are not magnum hot and made very little diference in lighting off some stubborn WC820 I have. CCI mag primers lite it just fine. I have seen shelf life addressed elsewhere and can only attest to having some in my closet for over two years and they are fine.
Man I need to find some extra cash!
Jay

missionary5155
03-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Greetings
Last time up I went through about 4000 LP and and 2500 LR primers with no problems. All that was loaded on a dillon so seating is not much of an issue with a 12" handle for leverage.

jlchucker
03-08-2011, 05:40 PM
I noticed that Wideners doesn't seem to list Wolf brand small pistol magnum primers. Are these made? Who carries them? I'm interested because I need to get more mag primers to load boolits into 357 cases for my Rossi Trapper.

songdog53
03-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Have shot some LP when primers dried up while back and have had no problems out of them in my 1911's in 45 acp.

Echo
03-08-2011, 08:10 PM
I've used the SP's and had no problems.

Lloyd Smale
03-09-2011, 06:28 AM
about the only experince i have with them is lg pistol. Like was said earler the mags and standards are both very mild primers. Dont count on them for lighting off loads in mag pistol rounds. THey seem to do ok with bullseye or other powders like that. Actually the mag primer is very simular in strenght to a fed stad pistol but not as consistant over my chronograph. I also had in my batch some that came without anvils. before i got to looking i had missfires and im sure that was the problem. Overal i dont think the quality control is good enough for me to waste money on them anymore. Ive heard people have decent luck with there rifle primers but im kind of soured to them now and will stick to american primers.

Bad Water Bill
03-09-2011, 06:45 AM
With that kind of pricing we may have some of the other mfgrs lowering their prices.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-12-2011, 03:17 PM
I notice Cabela's catalog has Win Primers for $29.99
they haven't had stock at the Rogers MN store since 2008
I was there yesterday :guntootsmiley:
they had a nice bit of stock on the shelves
I brought home 5k :happy dance:

they also had Magtech on sale for $24.88
but only Sm Pistol MAG and Sm Rifle MAG in stock.
Jon

Roundnoser
03-12-2011, 05:43 PM
With that kind of pricing we may have some of the other mfgrs lowering their prices.

...The benefits of a free market economy!

troyboy
03-13-2011, 11:40 AM
I pay the extra to keep AMERICANS working. It is one thing if this is all you can find but ........ I have said enough.

HARRYMPOPE
03-13-2011, 12:39 PM
i shot 3-4K Wolf LR with 16 of 2400 and 180-200 Bullets in 30-06 and accuracy and uniformity was as good as Win primers.

I buy American within reason,but when an American MFG is ripping us ( superinflated price of GC,s powder,and primers) i go elsewhere.

HMP

duckndawg
03-13-2011, 08:43 PM
i just bought 1,000 wolf SP primers to load. My dillon sdb does not like them. the cups are just a wee bit bigger and the sdb wouldn't seat them completely, had to use hand primer to seat fully. by the way all the ones i shot went bang.

ammohead
03-13-2011, 08:54 PM
I went to the Big Reno Gun Show yesterday and picked up both Winchester large rifle and large pistol for $99 and change for 5000. Looks like the good times are back again. Now if gas would just come down.

ammohead

Throckmorton
03-14-2011, 10:11 AM
I just bought some Wolf to try,and the LP's were TIGHT to seat,really had to lean into the short handle on the SDB .Would prolly seat easier on the 550b with the longer handle.
I was hoping they would fit nice and snug,but these go beyond that.I know they won't be backing out under recoil even in old brass,so I'll use these up and then decide on more.

troyboy
03-14-2011, 02:17 PM
"I buy American within reason,but when an American MFG is ripping us ( superinflated price of GC,s powder,and primers) i go elsewhere."

Was it the manufacturer or the dealer? The job you save may be your own