PDA

View Full Version : Hornady vs. old Lyman gas checks?

cabezaverde
03-07-2011, 04:43 PM
I have a load I developed in 357 Mag using the Hornady crimp on checks. I also have a couple if boxes of the Lyman old style non crimp on checks that I would like to use up.

What kind of performance and accuracy difference might I see using the old style checks? Is a gas check a gas check?

I posted this on the gas check forum, but no responses.

NHlever
03-07-2011, 04:48 PM
The older Lyman gas checks are slip on rather than crimp style as you probably know. Accuracy with them comes down to fit usually. If they fit snugly they shoot pretty well, but usually some stay on, and some fall off in flight, and that does nothing for accuracy.

Bret4207
03-08-2011, 08:03 AM
I have been using both types interchangeably for 20 years at least. I have yet to see a difference. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I haven't seen it yet. I prefer they stay on in flight but I've recovered boolits used with both types with missing GC's. YMMV.

HangFireW8
03-08-2011, 10:30 AM
I have a thousand box of old-style, 1950's era Lyman .30 gas checks. Despite tight crimping, they regularly come off of bullets at 50 yards. I often get 7 hole targets from 5 shots.

I have the new Hornady .30 as well, I have yet to see an extra hole. Accuracy is better as well.

I've heard the new Lyman gas checks crimp on the same as the Hornady. I don't know, they always cost more, so I've yet to use any.

Larry Gibson
03-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Like Bret I have been using both types for many years (42 years for me) and have yet to see a definative difference If the Lymans are a tight fit in revolver cartridges such as your .357. The problem I have with loose fitting ones is they fall off during handling or sizing (those staying in the sizer are a PITA). Over the years I've used lots of the Lymans in .38/.357s, .41s, .44s and .45 cal revolver cartridges with no difference in accuracy noted between the older Lyman and Hornady crimp ons. I still have some .357, .44 and .45s that I am using.

For the record I did note an accuracy difference some times with rifle cartridges at ranges farther than 100 yards. In bottle neck cases if the GC is seated below the case neck it also can be a problem with it falling off inside the case during handling or loading. That will not be a problem with the .357 magnum cartridge though. I suggest you load some of the Lymans with the load you developed and test them at your normal shooting ranges and see if there is a difference with your componants/revolver. If they shoot fine, enjoy them.

Larry Gibson

cabezaverde
03-08-2011, 01:43 PM
I wonder if a tiny drop of glue would help keep them on - at least for handling.

Larry Gibson
03-08-2011, 06:41 PM
I wonder if a tiny drop of glue would help keep them on - at least for handling.

Some have done that with success. I have only done it once because I have a couple older .357, .44 and .45 moulds with shanks that the older Lymans fit pretty well on. They usually fit pretty loose on newer moulds and that might work well there. I used it with some .30 cal GCs on a 313631 bullet for use in the 32 H&R and 30 Carbine. The older Lyman GCs would fall right off the shank so I mixed up a dab of 2 part epoxy and had a bunch of GCs on the table face up. I then was able to pick up a bullet, dab the base on the epoxy and then push it into the GC. I could do quite a few before the epoxy started to harden. I used the regular epoxy not the "quick drying" stuff. I did close to a full box of GCs and didn't have any come off during sizing or seating. That worked for my so you might give it a try.

Larry Gibson

Bret4207
03-08-2011, 06:52 PM
I should qualify my post above with the comment that I don't use the Lymans on boolits that they don't fit well on. IOW, if they come out of the sizer and still fall off I don't use them. IME the Lymans DO crimp a bit if sized enough, but they don't grip like the Hornady style. IMO using a GC that either is certain to fall off or one that is too small for the groove is a waste of money.

NHlever
03-11-2011, 08:58 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Lyman, and Hornady gas checks are the same thing today. Once Hornady started making them a bit thicker on the top so they would definitely crimp on the boolit I think the world built a road in their direction. With the price differential, it has almost seemed to me at times that Lyman might just be buying them from Hornady, and reselling them.

cabezaverde
03-11-2011, 12:44 PM
It is pretty commonly said that the newer Lyman checks are made by Hornady.

swheeler
03-11-2011, 01:50 PM
I have a load I developed in 357 Mag using the Hornady crimp on checks. I also have a couple if boxes of the Lyman old style non crimp on checks that I would like to use up.

What kind of performance and accuracy difference might I see using the old style checks? Is a gas check a gas check?

I posted this on the gas check forum, but no responses.

I have never seen much difference, but my chronograph has.

MT Gianni
03-11-2011, 04:57 PM
New screen Scott or a brand new Chrono?

swheeler
03-11-2011, 08:29 PM
New Chrono and it has a shield in front of the display now.

pls1911
03-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Bench rest shooting you may see a difference.
In my experience, I've never been able to tell the difference.
All my rounds remain substantially under minute of pig...