PDA

View Full Version : This website has wrecked my lust of Gunshows

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I have always looked forward to certain gunshows.
Yeah, looking at the merchandise is a big part,
But talking to many gun/shooting experts and other amateurs.

In two weeks, one of the best gunshows in MN will be held in the
State Fair grounds Coliseum building...and I'm not
that excited to go brave the crowds.
Usually it's all I'll be talking about with friends, trying to get them to come along.

I blame this website.
I've been on this site nearly everyday for the last year.
I've met new friends and have talked to experts and amateurs alike.
I've wheeled and dealed and build a small collection of molds.

So, thanks alot castboolits.com :( <sarcasm>
If I end up not going to this great gunshow,
I suppose I should donate to this site,
the gas money and entry fee saved by not going.
I could spend the time casting too :)
Jon

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Might even save your life!

PatMarlin
03-04-2011, 12:05 AM
There's one this weekend. Problem is it's small, and not a good small, but kinda boring small. I miss the big gunshows when I was a kid. Now THAT was exciting.

I'm still trying to make up my mind about going. 2hrs drive one way. Mountain hours which go by quick. I dunno.

beagle
03-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Yeah, good gun shows are a thing of the past. No old boxes of good junk, not many moulds (at least here in KY) and loads of new Junk guns.

Now, they're Knife, Camouflage and Beef Jerky Shows.

The internet is to thank for that I'm thinking./beagle

Lively Boy
03-04-2011, 11:38 AM
hey don't forget the candles.....going to a show today, they are small here in wyo. i've only seen one mold. so i bought it ideal/lyman 358156 sc for 9$ never seen a lubrsizer or lead pot. but not much excitment here so must go! want to go to one in colorado but have to wait..so will hang out on cast boolits my internet home!!!

TCFAN
03-04-2011, 04:46 PM
You know it always rubbed me the wrong way to have to pay admission fee to get in to spend my hard earned money.................Terry

rmcc
03-04-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't even mind the admission fee, if I was going to a GUN show, not the flea markets we have here anymore!! You can go to 10 shows and maybe one will have a guy like us that just wants to peddle his surplus stuff. That is what I miss was all the small time guys that set up and would trade , visit, or sell. Now it is guys who trying to make a living selling anything, oh they have a couple of guns with their candles and jerky.

Houndog
03-04-2011, 06:47 PM
I've given up on gun shows! Around here it's just an overpriced flea market with a few guns here and there and IF you find a gun you would buy, the price is 2-3 times higher than a regular gunshop. $10 to see all the overpriced knives made in China, someone selling siding for the house, Jerky and worn out so called "Military surplus" finally broke the camel's back.

rockrat
03-04-2011, 06:54 PM
I go to a few. Deals are few and far between. Maybe buy 4 moulds a year, if I am lucky. Lucked into a Star lubrisizer two years ago for $200 w/7 dies. Guy was telling me he had a half bucket (5gal) of moulds he bought at an estate sale, maybe I can get him to bring it so I can go thru it:)

dragonrider
03-04-2011, 08:42 PM
I have been to many gun shows here in New England, most of them large shows 500 or more tables but there is only one that I make certain I go to anymore. It is small only 40 or 50 tables at a local sportsman club in the town of Lunenburg twice a year. In all the years I have been going to shows this one is the only one I have bought guns at. I have never seen reasonably priced guns anywhere else. There is only one or two full time dealers at this show, the rest are just members of this club that have stufff for sale. You can have a good time there, talking to the sellers etc. The other big shows I may go to if I have nothing else to do.

PatMarlin
03-04-2011, 11:36 PM
There was some good gun deals at the last big reno show I went to. I think cause no one was buying hardly.

Big- even the big reno show was marginal compared the big shows in California in the old days.

JIMinPHX
03-05-2011, 12:12 AM
We still have pretty good gun shows here in Phoenix.

Lively Boy
03-05-2011, 12:21 AM
well no candles today but there was a bunch of overpriced guns... did get an enfield #4 mk 1 magazine for 5 bucks well counting entry fee 10 $ total not bad and it fit ....

Buckshot
03-05-2011, 03:05 AM
...............I sure miss the big LA gunshows. I forget now who put those things on. They were held at the LA Cnty fairgrounds for 3 days and it was HUGE! Six - seven monstrous exhibition buildings and all the grounds in between them. Yes there'd be some jerky sales, some Vegi-Matic type things and a few others but it was so big all that junk faded to insignificance.

I only made 2 good gun purchases there, but my main reason for going was the shear fun of it and parts, odds and ends, and primers. My Buddy Ron and I swore after the Clinton component scare we'd not get caught short again. If I bought nothing else I'd get 2-3 sleeves (5K) of large rifle primers. At first Winchester's were $75/5K, no tax. A couple weeks ago I just opened another sleeve dated 4-99 :-) Heck it was only a year ago or so I finally ran out of the nickle plated Winchester primers!

One time I bought 4 stripped Swede M96 actions from a guy for $15 apiece. After I'd paid him I mentioned, "Ya know, it's actually against the law to sell these to someone with out an FFL?" (I had one but wanted to make sure he knew) He just said, "Ah, I don't give a sh*t" and leaned back in his chair, HA! So okay by me:p Finding bolts for'em was another deal in itself. Friend Larry says the show at the Orange Cnty fairgrounds is pretty good, but not as big. Couldn't be anyway as the facility isn't as large, but he says they have 4 large exhibition buildings full and the ares in between them. I might have to go one of these days.

................Buckshot

PatMarlin
03-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Well I went yesterday and had an absolute BLAST!

It was a good show. I scored some deals I think. May post some pictures in a new thread!

Glad I went. Needed to get out of here.

Doc Highwall
03-06-2011, 06:52 PM
I will be going to the gun show in West Springfield in two weeks.

Ohio Rusty
03-06-2011, 07:02 PM
I know exactly what you are saying JonB. I've experienced the greatest kindness from members on this list supplying me with moulds and accessories have been wanting/needing. I've been as happy as a pig in a poke making boolits!!

The only thing I need now is a .410 barrel for my older model contender. That gives me an excuse to attend the coming gun show in Wilmington Oh in two weeks that one will be there at a good price. The last gun show I went to I felt like there was nothing there I needed.
Ohio Rusty ><>

August
03-06-2011, 08:45 PM
We still have pretty good gun shows here in Phoenix.

Yeah, what is it now, $20 admission with $10 parking ?