PDA

View Full Version : Almost ready

waksupi
11-22-2006, 10:38 PM
I got my stock back from the checkerer today. Can't see well enough to do it myself anymore. Engraving will be done in the spring. I did want to try to get in some hunting with this, this season, so will try to get some decent loads tomorrow.
The wood for this came from Jumptrap, barrel is octagon integral front sight base Bauska, .358 Win, 1-14. Skeletonised grip cap, with buffalo leg bone, from one I shot with my other .358 Win. Talley sling mounts, poured nose cap. Redfield aperture sight, with Merit adjustable iris. Timney trigger. Action is a 1956 FN Mauser, from Herter's.
I have some cosmetic work to take care of this winter. I'll most likely have it banged up, and in need of it by the end of the weekend, anyhow!

MT Gianni
11-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Here's hoping a fat elk gets to be the first blood. It really looks great. Gianni.

Ivantherussian03
11-22-2006, 11:04 PM
It is beautiful! What kind of wood? Birdseye maple maybe?

dragonrider
11-22-2006, 11:41 PM
Nice wood!!!!!!!

waksupi
11-23-2006, 12:10 AM
That's some of Jumptrap's curly maple, he had laying up in the barn for a few decades.

Larry Gibson
11-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Sweet looking rifle and well set up and excellent choice of cartridge. Should be a geme getter for you.

Larry Gibson

C1PNR
11-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Oh, Ric, is that a beauty or what! Such pretty wood!

Just as soon as it's completely done, you're going to HAVE to take it out and get a small, innocuous scratch while making meat. Otherwise, it'll never get out of the safe![smilie=1:

Rick Hodges
11-23-2006, 07:22 PM
Very very nice!

Rick

NVcurmudgeon
11-23-2006, 10:58 PM
What a beautiful piece of maple, fiddleback from end to end! And it sounds like you selected all the metal parts to match. May its accuracy match all the good work.

9.3X62AL
11-24-2006, 12:45 AM
What a beauty! I would be VERY reluctant to take such a nice piece of wood afield myself.

onceabull
11-24-2006, 01:48 AM
Wow, and I remember how nice I thought the 358 you let go was!!! It's so hard to remember Exodus 20:17 when looking at this one !! :twisted: Onceabull :twisted:

waksupi
11-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Wow, and I remember how nice I thought the 358 you let go was!!! It's so hard to remember Exodus 20:17 when looking at this one !! :twisted: Onceabull :twisted:

I'm not as dumb as I look. I still have the other one, too!

versifier
11-24-2006, 10:05 PM
That's a really nice piece of maple. I have turned thousands of feet of it into jewelry boxes, and really enjoy using it despite its hardness and tendency to chip out when working, especially with that very tight fiddleback pattern. VERY sharp cabinet scrapers work wonders with it and don't burn like sandpaper.
It's amazing how much more abuse any maple stock can take without showing it when compared with what happens to much softer walnuts. Not that you're planning to ski on it. :-D
Any figured wood stock should be well sealed inside and out, though, as their beautiful grain patterns are likely to to cause them to move in unanticipated directions with changes in humidity. Something I learned the hard way. You don't need your POI shifting halfway through hunting season. Mine needed emergency barrel floating surgery a few years ago.

Four Fingers of Death
11-24-2006, 10:32 PM
I've got a 98 semi finished stock (not in the same league as your though, that is beautiful) I picked up in a trade and a set of Lyman sights on the way soon. Now all I need is an action!

I was thinking about using the full length of the action and making it a 338/06 or 338WM. Decisions, decisions. Seems a bit silly when you can buy a new rifle for the price of a barrel.

C1PNR
11-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Mick, I don't know if you can do it, but if you can I suggest buying a $180US 98/29 Persian barrelled action from Samco for your project. I think that's the slickest 98 action on the surplus maket today.

Regardless, best of luck in pursuit of what sounds like a really nice mid-calibre banger!

waksupi
11-24-2006, 10:54 PM
I got some rounds threw together today. 48 Gr. WC 852, with a Saeco 250 gr. bullet, from a mold from Old Vic. Shot into 2.25" at a hundred. Should work good to hunting tomorrow, and will fine tune after the season. Something tells me, with a scope and good eyes, this rifle may shoot under an inch pretty easy.

waksupi
11-25-2006, 04:34 PM
I just tried out 48 gr., of WC 852F, behind the RCBS 200 gr. bullet. Five shots, in under 3/4". I think I may like this one!

PatMarlin
12-01-2006, 01:23 AM
She's a beaut Ric!!!... :drinks:

Char-Gar
12-01-2006, 11:06 AM
That is really one fine looking rifle. I have a question... what is a "poured nose cap". I that it you mean what I call the forend cap. If so how did your pour it and what material.

I just can't bring myself to put a recoil pad on a rifle, no matter what the caliber. A good Nieder steel butt plate is the only way a rifle looks truly correct..at least to my eyes.

waksupi
12-01-2006, 11:44 AM
[quote=Chargar;123780]That is really one fine looking rifle. I have a question... what is a "poured nose cap". I that it you mean what I call the forend cap. If so how did your pour it and what material.
/quote]

Chargar, I pour these from a high tin babbit, called nickloy. Cut down the surface of the stock about 1/8" where you want the cap. With a dremel, make some honeycomb in the wood surface. I do one every quarter inch or so, and try not to go completely through the stock, although this isn't a big deal if you do.
Then you need to make a block of heavy paper, tin foil, whatever, containing the area, with barrel in place. I then heat both the alloy, and the barrel, so heat will transfer into the wood. Be careful to not scorch things.
Pour in the alloy, and let it harden up.
then strip off the blocking material. If you had things set up right, the barrel will come out. If not, you will need to use a sharp chisel to carefully cut away the babbit so barrel can be removed.
Everything else is just filing, and sanding to smooth and polish with oooo steel wool.

Blackwater
12-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Great worjk, Waksupi! You ought to be proud!

Every man OUGHT to own at least one fine rifle .... AND HUNT WITH IT, too!