PDA

View Full Version : Best price on surplus ammo boxes?

ggb3
03-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Hello all,
Any one know of a site with the best overall price on steel ammo boxes (cost and shipping)? In decent shape, good company to deal with, etc. Thank you in advance. I Hope all is well with you and yours.

Thank you,
George

Calamity Jake
03-03-2011, 09:56 AM
How many do you want? I have 2-3 50 cal. in good shape I can let go of.

Harter66
03-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Get yourself a Sargent buddy out at that Army training base you'll have more 30cal cans than ya know what to do with in no time. I've got a gig something like that .

I see ads for Cheaper than Dirt $6-7 ea .

I still think a base buddy is the way to go. I knew a guy years ago that told a guy he wanted some 20mm cans for camping gear ,the guy says ok come by Friday at bldg ??we got a few. So he goes by the GIs throw a dozen or so in his truck and off he goes. Starts pulling them out and hits 1 that's really heavy,score on the "amnisty"can it seems they'd been throwing the leftover 2,3,5 rounds in this can because it was easier to loose it/use it than do the forms and repack it and send it back . He had a 20mm can full of 223 and 308 with a few 9mm,45,06',30carb and 2 rouge 50s.

markinalpine
03-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Technically, getting things from a "base buddy" is a criminal act, subjecting the receiver to receiving stolen Federal property, and the Military member to UCMJ punishment.
I've seen it happen. The installation CID were investigating a dishonest supply sergeant who was stealing new property, and they caught a couple of civilians who were getting ammo cans that were supposed to have been sent to the Property Disposal Office where they would have been sold.
Not worth it.
Mark :groner:

pd, EDIT: Someone mentioned Cheaper Than Dirt. Add Weidners, Grafs, and sometimes Sportsmans Guide (especially if you have one of their coupons, but watch out for their shipping charges. I once added a 50 cal can to an order to get the total over $99 to save $10, and watched the surface shippiing charge go up $12!)

ggb3
03-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Jake,
I do not think I can really have too many. (within reason of course)... Let me know the details.

Thank you.

On that note, I tell the wife if I ever get any excess, she can put her makeup, shoes, all kinds of stuff in them. She has not accepted the idea yet. Which, is good, I do not have them in excees yet. :smile:

Lee
03-03-2011, 06:25 PM
I once found 1" x 1 1/2' x 3' "medical supply boxes for $20 or so on the internet with $15 shipping. I'm a fool that didn't pick up 20 of them at that price, then. I don't see 'em any more, but boy could you store some stuff in them!
IF you ever see them, jump on them!!!![smilie=w:

mooman76
03-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Someone is usually selling them at gun shows. Not always that reasonable but usually not bad either especially when you figure in shipping or you could try cheaperthandirt.com

Snoopz
03-03-2011, 08:31 PM
check around they go from $5-$12 depending on where and who has them, generally the shipping is gonna drive the cost up. 50's or "fat" 50's, I managed to buy several hundred (yes hundred) and probably have 200-275 left both kinds, and no I'm not a business. I sell them to friends or people I meet at the range. The ones that I have had the lids left on, where as most when you buy in bulk have them separate lids in a bin and the "cans" strapped sideways, people then put them together..To bad your not in Maryland or a little closer.. Check gun shows or anything gun related ...

-Snoopz

Storydude
03-04-2011, 03:02 AM
www.armynavydeals.com

His website says "out of stock" but call. He had over 1K each of 30 and 50cal cans there last week when I was there.

oldhickory
03-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Gun shows and yard sales is where I get mine-cheap, and no shipping.

Ole
03-04-2011, 08:38 AM
I bought mine from these folks (http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/search.html?bs=1&em=1&su=1&fi=products&st=db&tf=prod_group%2cdescription&sf=prod_group&se=Ammo%20Cans%20%26%20Boxes).

Shipping is pretty high so be sure to check shipping costs before ordering.

beagle
03-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Getting them from the Army is now pretty hard as they're accounted for pretty closely as is brass by weight after firing. Even cartridge boxes (paper) are controlled and turned back in although I wonder the reasoning of that and have many of the white .38 Special boxes accumulated over the years that I use for storing reloaded .38s in.

Ammo cans are sold off in huge lots by DOD disposal methods and you have to buy huge quantities. Guys buy them and then sell at gun shows. If you can find a purchaser of a large lot, they're pretty reasonable.

Best thing I've ever found to store stuff in,/beagle

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-04-2011, 07:38 PM
I bought about 20 (50 cal.) at a gunshow last fall.
he was selling them for $7 each.
but lowered the price to $6 for quantity 20...no tax.

I store different alloys in some of them, just to keep things organized.
otherwise I use them for ammo.
Jon

44fanatic
03-04-2011, 09:23 PM
markinalpine is correct, it would be a crime to have someone remove them and give them to you. They are sold in "lots".

A good place to start is a surplus store.

Tom Herman
03-05-2011, 02:21 AM
The best buy I ever got was .50 cal cans for $3 each at a local gun show: The cans were dirty, and had been rained on (some inside the can as well).
Regrettably, I only bought half of what he had. It was well worth it spending an afternoon properly cleaning the cans and drying them.
Happy Shootin'!

-Tom

pls1911
03-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Get on the depot disposition sales lists.
Normally you will bid on a lot of 2 to 4 pallets, but sometimes lucky folks get them for less than a buck apiece.
I gladly paid $1each for a pallet load, and it seems like there were like 120. The guy who sold 'em kept one pallet (free to him, because he doubled his money on me...), I sold half of mine to a buddy , happy to find near new cans at 1.50, then he sole half of his to a neighbor for $3.00 a pop.
Everybody was happy, everybody wins... and I should have charged my buddy another 50 cents!!!