PDA

View Full Version : Shot the RCBS .500 boolit

Nobade
03-03-2011, 09:04 AM
I made it to the range this past weekend to try out the RCBS 400gr. 500 S&W bullet in my Renegade with the Green Mountain fast twist bullet barrel on it. It works! Run through the lubrisizer at .500", and lubed with NASA lube, loaded over 100gr. Diamondback FFg, it would stack shots on top of each other at 100M. No fliers, very predictable. I could load and fire 5 shots without wiping. Out to 150M, same thing. Seeing groups about 2 inches there. At 200M, things started to open up. Groups ranging in the 8 inch neighborhood. I think this bullet is starting to go unstable when it passes through the transsonic wall. The big flat nose may not be the best for that. So it's not a long range bullet, but one heck of a good hunting bullet for normal hunting ranges with a muzzle loader. It loads super fast, can fire multiple shots, and hits where you point it. I think I have a winner here! Next time out I'll try it in my Ruger inline to see how that rifle likes it.

idahoron
03-03-2011, 12:22 PM
That sounds great. When I first started playing with the Lee bullet I found the same thing. Great groups at 100 but 150 was acting funny. I backed off the powder and 150 was acting better. I moved back to 200 and it was acting funny. I backed off the powder to 80 gr and 200 was shooting great. After more testing, the 80 gr charge was accurate past 200 and had PLENTY of power for hunting under 200 yards. What did your bullets weigh with the soft lead? Ron

RBak
03-04-2011, 01:46 AM
Run through the lubrisizer at .500", and lubed with NASA lube

Interesting...what is NASA lube, and where can I find it?

Tried several shots with three different grease cookies in a very similar set-up and I can't say I was overly pleased.

I forgot, did you say you were 'patchin' or are you shooting naked? I have not tried naked yet.
In fact, I'm waiting for Ron to get back with me so I'll know the exact hardness of the boolit I'm throwing.

Russ

bigted
03-04-2011, 02:49 AM
nasa lube is a lube made by a small firm here in alaska called the " BULLSHOP" . they are sponsers of this castboolits web site and can be found at the sponsers page here or look em up direct at http//bullshop.gunloads.com

very helpfull and good folks

RBak
03-04-2011, 03:22 AM
nasa lube is a lube made by a small firm here in alaska called the " BULLSHOP" . they are sponsers of this castboolits web site and can be found at the sponsers page here or look em up direct at http//bullshop.gunloads.com

very helpfull and good folks

:groner: Geeesh! I knew that. I've seen that a dozen a times, but for some reason it just didn't register.
Thanks, Big Ted

Russ

Nobade
03-04-2011, 08:54 AM
They were shot naked. That's why I wanted to try this bullet - cast, lube and load. The NASA lube works great, and only by the 5th shot did it get hard to load.

Thanks for the tip by Idahoron, this time I didn't have time to mess with powder charges. Next time out I'll try different ones to see how it responds. In the past I didn't get very good accuracy with this barrel until I got to 100gr, but this bullet might be different. And I'll get you a weight when I have time to get to my shop and weight one.

Geraldo
03-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Is your barrel 1:28" or 1:18"?

Nobade
03-05-2011, 05:07 PM
1:28.

Maven
03-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Nobade, Slightly off topic, but how do you like the Diamondback powder? I'm thinking of purchasing a case of it and would prefer to know more about it before I do so.

Nobade
03-06-2011, 09:02 AM
I like it a lot. It's clean, (no dust) dense and fouling is light gray and not heavy at all. It is not as powerful as new made Goex, and does take more to equal the velocity. No where near as powerful as Swiss. I have had very good results with it in 50cal. and bigger ball guns, 45 cal. bullet guns, 45-70, 45 Colt, and Ruger old army. I can't get it shoot very well in my 45 or smaller ball guns, but I have only used the FFg.

I'd say for BPCR or long range where every ounce of accuracy and performance is important you probably would want to use Swiss, but for normal shooting, CAS, or hunting there's nothing wrong with it. The spouts on the cans are a pain, but I solved that by cutting one to the shape I wanted and just switching that one to new cans as they are opened. They pry out easily with a small screwdriver. For the money I think it is a real deal, and the guy at Powder Inc. is a pleasant fellow to deal with. If you happen to be driving through Arkansas on I-40 it's well worth it to stop by his place and pick some up, it makes it a lot cheaper.

Maven
03-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Nobade, Thanks for that information, as it was just what I was looking for. I'll soon be ordering a case from this outfit, though: http://addictedtoblackpowder.com/index.html

boommer
03-07-2011, 12:07 AM
Maven I've burned though 4# of 2F so far and for the price it' a smoking deal and very impressed with the powder burns almost as clean as Swiss. Velocity wise in my 40-65 60 grs of diamondback 2F 410gr bullet 1130 fps. My pet load in Swiss 2F 58grs 410 gr bullet 1240 fps. Those are by weight charges. I'm getting good groups too.
I also got some 3f but have not tried it yet.

Jon Blackert is good guy to deal with and you don't have by a full case like Powder Inc. This is his cell number 309-945-2666 easier to get him on,he's a carpenter by day, sells powder by night.

Maven
03-07-2011, 01:00 PM
boomer, Thanks for that information re Jon & Diamondback powder!