PDA

View Full Version : Need mold input

Walt-MT
03-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Hallo the Board!

I am trying to get a P-H .451 volunteer shooting. The plan is to shoot from 300-800 yds. I do not have a barrel slug/cast to measure.

So far I have seen mention of 3 appropriate molds; Lyman 451114 (can be had new), Lyman 457121PH -475gr design for this rifle and now am told of a .451 Pedersoli mold in .451- 500 gr (might be paper patch mold ?!?)

I have never used Pedersoli molds; how do they rate?
I am think I am leaning toward a 457121PH at a guess. Not practical to try three molds "just to see" so any input greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
WA

DIRT Farmer
03-02-2011, 11:51 PM
I would sugest calling Buffalo bullets and asking questions, just be prepared to take notes, you will get a lot of good info. I have shot the 451-114 with good effect in minealso the 457-132 535 grn Postell sized to .451. I have not worked much other than 100 yds with mine, I found a good deal on a Pedersoli Gibbs and have not really had a chance to relly work it up either. It seems both rifles like 550 grn paper patch though for shooting. It is cheeper to buy a few boxes of bullets than chase the perfect mould.

Walt-MT
03-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Dirt Framer,
Thank you for the reply. I'm surprised there aren't more who have some input on these mold/rifle combinations.
Never thought to talk to Buffalo Bullets.

If I read your last line correctly; are you advising to get bullets from the different molds to try before buying a mold? Or, just buy bullets from a vendor?

Thanks
WA

obssd1958
03-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Walt,
I have the Pedersoli 451-308, which is supposed to drop a 520gr flat nose. I don't have a rifle for it, so I haven't cast with it, but I'm sure we could work out something to get some samples to you.
Send me a PM, if you're interested.

Don

DIRT Farmer
03-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Walt for the time being I think I will be using swaged slugs in the Gibbs for match work. In the course of a year I do nott forsee using that many shots and during the learning phase want to know that any errant shots are not from the bullet. In the Volenteer, I have not installed match sights and am thinking of shooting the military style matches where the barrel sights are used. My eyes will not allow me to shoot to the capibility of cast grease groove so I will use tem there.

Nobade
03-04-2011, 08:59 AM
I've got one of those pedersoli moulds. I'm not real impressed with it, the cavities are quite a bit off center and you have to pry the bullet out. I am glad I only paid $20 for it, at full retail I would have bought something else. It has very small grease grooves so you need to wipe between shots, but sized to fit your rifle it should work. Not sure of your twist but you'd want at least 1:18 since it is so long.

Another option is a Buffalo Arms or Accurate Moulds paper patch design, if you are into patching. I still get the best accuracy in my muzzle loaders using smooth sided paper patch bullets. You just have to make sure you get one the right size to start with.

obssd1958
03-04-2011, 12:04 PM
I've got one of those pedersoli moulds. I'm not real impressed with it, the cavities are quite a bit off center and you have to pry the bullet out. I am glad I only paid $20 for it, at full retail I would have bought something else. It has very small grease grooves so you need to wipe between shots, but sized to fit your rifle it should work. Not sure of your twist but you'd want at least 1:18 since it is so long.

I must have gotten lucky. While the boolits don't just fall out, they only need a couple of taps to drop.
I didn't realize that these were a tapered boolit. They measure .449 on the bottom, .451 halfway up the lube grooves, and .4535 on the nose.
Is this the same for the Pedersoli moulds that you have? Are the lube grooves the same as in this picture?

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m9/obssd1958/shooting/cast%20boolits%20related/102_0002-3.jpg