PDA

View Full Version : Illinois

Charlie Two Tracks
03-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Associated Press has used the Freedom of Information Act to make the Illinois State Police release the names of all the gun owners in Illinois. In Illinois we must have a Firearms Owners ID card (FOID). The names will be published. The state police are trying to stop this but it has not worked so far.

edit: Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I didn't know quite where to post it and I'm not even sure if it should be on this site. I'm a little upset with this stuff. If it is not correct, please delete.

gray wolf
03-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Oh I see --now every thief will no every house he can rob to get a gun.
What a stupid thing to do, I get so tired of this ****.

edit: Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I didn't know quite where to post it and I'm not even sure if it should be on this site. I'm a little upset with this stuff. If it is not correct, please delete.

No problem from my end, I wish we could stop this stuf.

Sam

starmac
03-02-2011, 12:21 AM
I see it the other way, the thief knows who doesn't have a gun.

AaronJ
03-02-2011, 12:55 AM
Either way its none of the general publics business if i own guns or not. I am really getting sick of my state being behind the curve on gun rights.

happy7
03-02-2011, 01:09 AM
It appears this is true as reported in the Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chibrknews-agencies-battle-over-confidentiality-of-registered-gun-owners-20110301,0,3429733.story?track=rss

NVcurmudgeon
03-02-2011, 02:18 AM
Two or three months ago, a reporter from the Las Vegas paper (young, female, and probably anti) was trolling the Sheriff's Offices for the same purpose. Somehow the Las Vegas paper is hooked up with the Reno paper so Washoe County had to give them the list. I live in Washoe County and DID take the Reno paper. AFIK, the paper hasn't printed the list, but big media having my information does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. There is a bill to make CCW records confidential working its way through the legislature, so we can hope. The Reno paper is the leading "big" paper for most of northern Nevada. I wonder how many other subscriptions they lost besides mine. Betcha the snooping is going on in every state.

GabbyM
03-02-2011, 02:34 AM
more information for the insurance companies.

NSP64
03-02-2011, 08:28 AM
I am all for splitting the state in half. Then we could have 2 states. The state of Kookie county, and the real state of Illinois.
They could do like all the other Govmt agencies. When they release the names, black out the last name and address.

klcarroll
03-02-2011, 10:46 AM
This is an OUTRAGEOUS violation of my privacy!! .....If I am conforming to ALL applicable laws, what business does the general public have in knowing what my personal possessions are??

Furthermore, I have to ask what possible benefit there is in such a public publication?? The only thing that will actually result is the Criminal faction knowing who possesses firearms and who does not: This makes me and every other firearm owner a more likely candidate for burglaries, …..and it labels everyone else as defenseless victims!!!! If I were a criminal, I would CHERISH such a list!!!!!!!!

I cannot believe that there are not Privacy Act considerations involved here!

I have just finished emailing Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan (http://illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/about/contacts.html), and my District and Federal Representatives. (I contacted the Washington gnomes because Privacy Act violations are a Federal matter.)

If you live in Illinois, it is your DUTY to contact your appropriate representatives too!

……..Even if you don’t live in Illinois, it wouldn’t hurt to email Lisa and let her know what an airhead she will look like if this happens! (Laughing hysterically at her might also be appropriate!) Let her know what the rest of the country thinks of the Political Machine that created Obama!!!

Kent

Thin Man
03-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Tennessee has a novel answer to this problem. As a basic rule, all information in the hands of a state (or lesser) government agency is considered public fare to any TN resident EXCEPT those records which the legislature has closed by statute. Examples of these closed records include criminal investigation records which will be used by the District Attorney General during a criminal prosecution, school records (yup, lots of generous definitions of school records), adoption records, autopsy results from death by fire, and quite a few others. The only hitch is to get enough interested legislators involved in sponsoring, then passing a statute to address the records the public (not media) want closed. We faced the issue of media publishing the names of persons who applied for and received the Handgun Carry Permit some years back and the legislature closed these records. Please note that our Permit is not a "concealed" carry permit, it is a "carry" permit. Discretion is encouraged during carry so as to avoid exciting the transplanted new state residents and other like minded individuals.

Thin Man

onondaga
03-02-2011, 11:59 AM
I have had 3 opportunities for upward career moves to Illinois and turned them all down because of the FOID laws and the possibility that personal gun owner information could be made public. That is also why I will not join the NRA again. The NRA released my name and scores to Recruiting Officers in the 1960s when I was a minor in age and I have refused to be a member since. To this very day, the NRA has refused to take me off their mailing list after numerous written requests.

The NRA can also be compelled to release information just as easily as the state of Illinois has been.

Protecting your own privacy can be difficult. I will not purchase firearms through a dealer and register the sale either. I only purchase from private owners.

Gun owners lists violate my privacy and I have chosen to deny Illinois my skills due to their reprehensible lack of respect for personal privacy.

Gary

white eagle
03-02-2011, 01:05 PM
what state is fit to live in anymore ?
I am seriously considering moving from where I have lived
for my entire 53 yrs
our new guvener is ruining our state
I hear Canada is nice

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-02-2011, 02:25 PM

38Special
03-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Where is the NRA?

klcarroll
03-02-2011, 04:22 PM
@123.DieselBenz

Thanks Shawn! ......Every voice heard from helps!

I have been tempted many, many times to simply give up and flee to "greener pastures"; .....But somehow I just can't do it.

To leave would equate to surrendering in my mind! .......I simply WILL NOT let them turn Illinois into another California! .....My vote may not mean much, but they will hear from me as long as I am still breathing!

(......I know, I know; .......They can fix THAT too!:shock:)

Kent

firefly1957
03-02-2011, 04:47 PM
There is no need for the public to know you are a law abiding citizen who has the license to purchase ammo and firearms but there is a need to know who the felons are! I bet you the same groups do not want that information made public.
I remember that somewhere they turned a similar problem around by printing names and addresses of the people who back this type of thing, harassing the law abiding.

NSP64
03-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Let them publish the names. I have plenty of ammo. Let the ones who don't have guns get preyed upon, then we may get the rest of the state to finally come to their senses., and pass a concealed carry bill.
Only the people in Obamma land will suffer from it.

waksupi
03-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Find a friendly judge, and get a restraining order.

Trey45
03-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Boycott the newspaper and every "news" media outlet that does this! Contact their advertisers and tell them you are boycotting their products/services due to their support of this type of reporting. You want to stop this type of thing? You have to HURT the media where they feel it the most, in their pocketbooks!

starmac
03-02-2011, 09:03 PM
In alaska, it would be a lot easier to list the ones who don't own guns, that would kind of take care of the felon list too.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-02-2011, 09:37 PM
It is just such a battle all of the time. Senator Burris: I mailed him a letter trying to get him to support concealed carry. I got a letter back from him (I was surprised) saying that he was going to support stricter gun control because of the gang problems in Illinois. I wrote back and told him that only an idiot would think that criminals would care about any law passed........... I never got a letter back. Go figure

Wots
03-02-2011, 10:16 PM
I think you hit the nail right on the head, he is an idiot. Part of the problem, not the solution.
e.g. how much in pensions does this outstanding example the problem, collect? (around $300,000)

Charlie Two Tracks
03-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Why are the anti-gunners like they are? Why would they care if I have a gun or not? I don't care if somebody has a bow or cross bow. It's ok with me if a person learns martial arts. I don't drink but it's ok with me if others do. So why do people want to take my gun..... something that I defended their right to be free with. It's just very strange to me.

NSP64
03-02-2011, 11:39 PM
So why do people want to take my gun...

A people without guns, is a people not feared by government.

03-03-2011, 12:33 AM
"Why are the anti-gunners like they are?"

Two words: Power and control.

klcarroll
03-03-2011, 10:42 AM
"Why are the anti-gunners like they are?"

Two words: Power and control.

462, ........I'm afraid that you have put your finger on the very heart of the issue!

........Over the past three or four decades, the "Washington Ruling Class" has truly come into its own, and they are jealous and afraid of any individual or group that is actually able to tell them "NO!".

For the record, ….I myself can’t believe that I am hearing myself saying things like that!! …..Aside from believing in the Constitution of the United States, and the vision of people like Thomas Jefferson and John Adams, I have never had any “radical tendencies”!!! …………But look at the class distinction that these people have forged between themselves and the General Population that pays for their life style:

A few “high points”:

They have generous salaries and guaranteed pensions, …..When those of us in “The Herd” struggle to keep our homes and look grimly forward to an old age working as Wal-Mart Greeters because Social Security is a joke and retirement is out of the question.

They have fully provided health care that includes the Mayo Clinic if required: …..We have a mandatory program jammed down our throat; …..One that we are REQUIRED to pay for regardless of whether we can afford it or not!

At airports, we stand for hours in “security” lines, and experience the sort of personal indignities that are normally reserved for Prisoners of War: ……They waltz through airports on their way to their government provided rides, and never even get near a Security Checkpoint (….aside from the one that keeps us away from them!) ….. And I’ll bet that Obama doesn’t have to stand there and watch some creep grope HIS daughters!!!

The list of “distinctions” goes on and on; …….But it all boils down to this: Our politicians have created a life of comfort and privilege for themselves, and they are inclined to be watchful and critical of any group that they feel challenges their authority. Unfortunately, because of our constant objections to the nonsensical firearms legislation they pass (…in an effort to make the un-informed electorate believe that they are actually doing something about crime!), ....they have come to consider Firearm Owners to be one of those groups.

Thomas Jefferson said it best: “Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.”

Kent

03-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Kent, took me a while to realize that you weren't describing the old Soviet Union.

klcarroll
03-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Kent, took me a while to realize that you weren't describing the old Soviet Union.

:bigsmyl2:

......I just really, really wish that someone would prove me completely wrong!

Kent

WILCO
03-03-2011, 11:56 AM
I hear Canada is nice

Are you serious???? :veryconfu

klcarroll
03-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Are you serious???? :veryconfu

Yeah! ........The Canadian Government and it's firearms laws makes the U.S. Congress look like an NRA meeting!

Kent

montana_charlie
03-03-2011, 01:03 PM
...kind of amazing that you-know-who hasn't yet complained about this being 'political'...
...maybe his willing toleration depends on just which political subject is being discussed...

white eagle
03-03-2011, 01:04 PM
yes I am serious

klcarroll
03-03-2011, 04:29 PM
yes I am serious

Well, .............I have spent some time in Canada, and their laws pertaining to firearms always seemed very restrictive.

If you have a different "read" on that, .......I would sincerely like to hear more about it!

Thanks!

Kent

klcarroll
03-03-2011, 04:32 PM
...kind of amazing that you-know-who hasn't yet complained about this being 'political'...
...maybe his willing toleration depends on just which political subject is being discussed...

Yeah...........

After I posted my comments, I realized that I had probably "crossed the line"!:bigsmyl2:

I will refrain from making further comment on the subject here.;-)

Kent

missionary5155
03-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Greetings
I wrote... when we are up north we live in Danville.