PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 cast

DJ1
03-01-2011, 02:48 PM
I am looking for some recipe's for 30-06, using a Lyman 311299 (200 gr w/gc), Varget powder. Does anyone have any proven idea's

Thanks,

DJ

sqlbullet
03-01-2011, 04:13 PM
32 grains of Varget + .75 gr polyfill delivers very good accuracy with my Garands, in conjunction with a Lee 309-200. The bullets are gas checked with Hornady and lubed with Felix lube + a blue crayon.

Also, 42 grains of H4831 or 36 grains of RL-15 have worked well. The above varget load delivers the best groups.

HARRYMPOPE
03-01-2011, 11:02 PM
In Military cast bullet matches in the CBA 16.0 of 2400 wins alot of them.But really many combo's shoot very well.You have a good bullet to start with.12.0 Of Unique is another classic.I like the faster stuff for economy and find no accuracy difference compared to slower stuff when shooting 1400-1700.When you go above that the slower stuff seems better.But honestly i find no need to pump cast much beyond that for 100-300 yd target shooting and non big hunting.A 200g 30 at 1500fps is a good small/medium game load.

HMP

NHlever
03-02-2011, 08:36 AM
In Military cast bullet matches in the CBA 16.0 of 2400 wins alot of them.But really many combo's shoot very well.You have a good bullet to start with.12.0 Of Unique is another classic.I like the faster stuff for economy and find no accuracy difference compared to slower stuff when shooting 1400-1700.When you go above that the slower stuff seems better.But honestly i find no need to pump cast much beyond that for 100-300 yd target shooting and non big hunting.A 200g 30 at 1500fps is a good small/medium game load.

HMP

I'm curious, and pretty ignorant about Garand's though I know that makes me somewhat un American. I did carry an M-14 in harm's way so maybe that counts.
I know that you have to be c areful about bending the operating rod using slow powders with full house loads, and that Hornady has a separate section in their loading books because of this, but is there any issue with lighter loads, and cast bullets? I see powders like 4831 on the slow side, and 2400 on the fast side being mentioned, and don't know if these are bolt action/ lever action loads only, or if there is just no issue with the Garand at these levels.

sqlbullet
03-02-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm curious, and pretty ignorant about Garand's though I know that makes me somewhat un American. I did carry an M-14 in harm's way so maybe that counts.
I know that you have to be c areful about bending the operating rod using slow powders with full house loads, and that Hornady has a separate section in their loading books because of this, but is there any issue with lighter loads, and cast bullets? I see powders like 4831 on the slow side, and 2400 on the fast side being mentioned, and don't know if these are bolt action/ lever action loads only, or if there is just no issue with the Garand at these levels.

The rules about powder speed in the Garand apply to jacketed bullets. Once you switch to lead bullets, pressure curves change a bunch and the same rules no longer apply. BruceB gets into the details in this thread (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=312730#post312730).

The real issue is pressure at the gas port. Slow powders and heavy lead bullets at moderate velocities provide adequate pressure at the port.

Larry Gibson
03-02-2011, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE=sqlbullet;1180821]32 grains of Varget + .75 gr polyfill delivers very good accuracy with my Garands, in conjunction with a Lee 309-200. The bullets are gas checked with Hornady and lubed with Felix lube + a blue crayon.[QUOTE]

That works for me alsousing Varget except I use Javelina or Lar's 2500+ lube. I prefer 4895 though as it is somewhat more uniform at the 1850 - 1950 fps range where best accuracy comes with 311299 in the 10" twist '06.

Larry Gibson

DJ1
03-09-2011, 04:31 AM
First off I would like to thank all you fella's for your reply's and recipe's for a starting point. Has anyone used the EXTRA HARD CAST alloy from Roto-Metals? If so, what mix would you recommend with WW to get optimum alloy?

Thanks,
DJ1

03-09-2011, 11:12 AM
I believe in keeping it simple and inexpensive...straight wheel weights and Unique.

Larry Gibson
03-09-2011, 12:02 PM
First off I would like to thank all you fella's for your reply's and recipe's for a starting point. Has anyone used the EXTRA HARD CAST alloy from Roto-Metals? If so, what mix would you recommend with WW to get optimum alloy?

Thanks,
DJ1

I believe that "EXTRA HARD CAST " RotoMetal alloy is similar to linotype(?). I use linotype at 80/20 or 870/30 with lead very successfuly for a very good "optimum" alloy that works extremely well upwards of 2600+ fps. I have also mixed WW and linotype at 60/40 with very good results. Not exactly what you asked but pending some one with actual experience with RotoMetal and WWs it might give you a place to start.

Larry Gibson

sqlbullet
03-09-2011, 06:32 PM

Thanks,
DJ1

My alloy is isotope lead, but is very similar in composition to WW. I water drop and get satisfactory hardness, and would be surprised very much if water dropped WW were not very good as well.

My point is if you have expensive lead on hand save it until you are experiencing a problem you can't solve any other way. If you don't have it on hand, don't spend your money on it until you experience a problem you can't solve any other way.

selmerfan
03-13-2011, 08:02 PM
TTT Good thread

runfiverun
03-13-2011, 09:28 PM
waterdropped ww's will go as fast as the load given to you will push them.
1% tin and 3% antimony is a good alloy aircooled i have gotten 1600 from it and waterdropped i have hit 2300.
over that i go to another alloy 4/6 i have gotten better results with the 4/6 than i have with lino straight.