PDA

View Full Version : Pheasant and Duck Hunting in South Dakota

garandsrus
11-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Hi,

A friend and I will be arriving in South Dakota on Sunday for 5 or 6 days to do some Pheasant and possibly Duck Hunting. We don't have a duck permit as of right now. We will most likely be somewhere between Sioux Falls and Watertown. We don't have an actual destination in mind yet as neither of us have ever hunted there before. You could say that we are flexible...

Any suggestions? We will probably be on mostly the public walk in areas since access isn't a problem. We do have most of the books that the South Dakota Division of Wildlife publishes about pheasant hunting. We may knock on some doors also with hopes of geting permission to hunt on private land since it's late in the season.

Anyone interested in hunting with us for a day or so? We have three labs that really enjoy their time in the field.

Also, do most of you just use non-Toxic shot for Pheasants so that you don't need to worry about what type of land you are on? I think that's what we will end up doing.

Any assistance would be appreciated...

Thanks,
John

MT Gianni
11-22-2006, 01:37 AM
Some linemen I know went over last year or this spring as the power lines were down for 2-3 weeks. They said they had never seen as many pheasants as were dead just frozen in the fields. Even with all that you should have some good hunting. Gianni.

garandsrus
11-23-2006, 09:25 AM
MT Gianni,

Pretty amazing... The state predicted another greta harvest this year. We'll see!

John

C1PNR
11-23-2006, 06:32 PM
I've got some relatives there in South Dakota. I was born in Yankton but left as a youngster. Last visited in 1983 when we buried my Grandmother.

Did see several of the older farmer families then, but haven't kept in contact. I think my Brother has, though, and I'll have to ask him to contact friends/relatives for a reunion and hunting trip visit.:-D