PDA

View Full Version : Seating Depth....CB in a 308

kynardsj
02-28-2011, 09:03 PM
I read some of the old threads and have an idea about this but would like input from some of you CB gurus. OAL isn't so much a problem as both of my 308's are Encores. I'm guessing I shouldn't worry about seating to the crimp groove but just deep enough to get to the bottom of the neck. As always I appreciate all input. Bullets are non GC 165 gr RNFP's.

HangFireW8
02-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Back in the days of slip-on (fall-off) gas checks, the rule was to never seat deeper than the neck bottom, because a check could fall off and stick in the barrel.

Modern gas checks crimp in place, and if properly crimped and sized, present no such hazard. Some still prefer not to seat them below the neck, but I have had no problems and good accuracy.

Generally I seat bullets to either jam very slightly in the rifling, or just to fit and feed from the magazine, if that is accurate enough.

-HF

Bret4207
03-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Agree with HF, I like the nose section to be sitting in the throat in light contact with the leade. Can't always do that, but I find I have a lot more guns with boolits seated waaaay out there than ones with the base below the neck/shoulder junction.