PDA

View Full Version : Range Scrap

4060MAY
11-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Scored 9 5gal pails half full of range scrap today.
as I am helping clean the range, the RO say there are frangible buulets used at this range besides lead and jacketed.
What are frangible bullets made from?
are they bad like zinc?

Chuck

imashooter2
11-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Usually powdered copper or tungsten. Should be no issue to you.

45nut
11-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Captain Midnight is into those,,send him a pm or maybe he will spot this thread.

singleshotbuff
11-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Chuck,

N.E. Ohio here too. That range wouldn't be The Firing Line would it?

SSB

mag_01
11-21-2006, 11:27 PM
I use a lot of range scraps---They seem to be on the soft side---Mix with wheel weights---cant resist picking up brass or lead---really don't need it but still pick it up----mag

rbwillnj
11-23-2006, 01:56 AM
I mix 1 pound of Lino with 4 pounds of range lead. Casts great and very hard.

largecaliberman
11-24-2006, 09:49 PM
I mix 1 pound of Lino with 4 pounds of range lead. Casts great and very hard.

With this mix and if known, what is the BHN?

4060MAY
11-24-2006, 10:29 PM
I melted all the scrap today, ended up with about 600# of ingots, and about 70# of jackets and frangible dust, stuff was like graphite powder.

checking an ingot with the Lee hardness tester, I get 10.4BHN, actually just right for what I'm going to use it for. BPCR.

Singleshotbuff,
Firing line? No, an indoor range in Akron I just joined.
Shoot any Schuetzen? or BPCR?
Have a single shot with a hammer? Buffalo match at Tusco in Midvale Staring in April 2007 Second Sat every month.
Where in NE Ohio, it's a big place.

waksupi
11-24-2006, 10:56 PM
I melted all the scrap today, ended up with about 600# of ingots, and about 70# of jackets and frangible dust, stuff was like graphite powder.

checking an ingot with the Lee hardness tester, I get 10.4BHN, actually just right for what I'm going to use it for. BPCR.

Singleshotbuff,
Firing line? No, an indoor range in Akron I just joined.
Shoot any Schuetzen? or BPCR?
Have a single shot with a hammer? Buffalo match at Tusco in Midvale Staring in April 2007 Second Sat every month.
Where in NE Ohio, it's a big place.

Just wondering. Aren't Borchardt's allowed in your buffalo matches?

4060MAY
11-25-2006, 09:53 AM
No Borchardt
I was shooting a Martini in 30-40 Krag in the small bore match
when there were only a couple of us shooting this match, no one objected.
when I won the next 5 matches, it was funny, one of the directors said to me " That's a martini" I say " yeah", seems some one objected, no hammer.

So no Borchardt's, seems kind of silly. but rule are rules.

chuck

waksupi
11-25-2006, 04:53 PM
No Borchardt
I was shooting a Martini in 30-40 Krag in the small bore match
when there were only a couple of us shooting this match, no one objected.
when I won the next 5 matches, it was funny, one of the directors said to me " That's a martini" I say " yeah", seems some one objected, no hammer.

So no Borchardt's, seems kind of silly. but rule are rules.

chuck

I'll bet if you didn't win, they would still be allowing the hammerless rifles. Years back, when the long range matches were getting started at Virginia City, Montana, I even used a Martini Henry one year. Many didn't know what it was. Some called it a camel greaser, due to the long barrel, and long lever set up. I was never a threat to win with it!

NickSS
11-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Same thing happened to me at my clubs long range lever action shoots the Cowboy Shooters hold monthly. I showed up at a couple of them and shot my 94 Winchester fitteed with a williams reciever sight. No one said anything untill I started winning with it. Then I was told that reciever sights were not allowed. So I put a Marbles tang sight on the rifle and still kick butt with it but now they can only complain that I shoot too good.