PDA

View Full Version : smart ---

Bullshop
11-21-2006, 03:08 PM
G day all
Lately I know I have been rather a wise acre and not realy trying to contribute much, just mostly pokin fun.
In my defence its been between -30 and -40 for three weeks now and think I'm goin a bit daffy. Gonna be a long winter ya know. I had to photo some boolits for auction arms so thought I would pic my casting nest while at it so you can see how its set up. Exp. has tought me to set thing up for a minimum of movement for sustained volume production. I will try to point out some things the untrained eye might mis.
Pot area, see that big tic tok westclock up there thats a metranome that sets the beat. Dont even have to look at it the tic tok works great.

On that draw fan over the pot ya see my old log counter, that helps me keep track of order #'s. Wont make a bit of differance to you all but I like to keep track.
To the left are the cooling fans as I work left handed. Cant see it well but those two fans angle in to cool from each side. They sit on a thick aluminum plate that also has a realy thick flat copper bar on that.
To the right you can see the pre heating hot plate. I like it because you can preheat to a very precise temp and hold it there.
Oh yea if you look real closly at the pot you can see the stop drip mod. It changes it to a down touch which was real easy to get used to. Been using it for over a year now and converted all my pots this way.

In the very right corner you can see the edg of my quenching troth and it is in the other photo. It is undercut to set on a bucket but drop boolits in the center. It has a hanging baffle that stops the forward fall and drops them straight down. Its thickly padded inside so the soft boolits are not damaged on thier way to the water. Its also coverd to eliminate any splashing.

See that hanging scale under there? That is used for weighing lead to keep alloys consistant. That seems to be good enough for the lead keeping things within an oz. or two but I use an electric postal scale to weigh tin and antimony.
You dont see a place for sprue's because I cut them with my gloved hand and the still very hot soft sprue goes from my hand to the pot. No sence wasting all that heat. This way when I have run through a 20lb pot I have made 20lb of boolits not half sprues. Oh yea see that old MR coffie under the troth I fished it out of the dumpster. Cut the top off and it works great for melting lube for filling a press. If I am doing a bunch of big boolits and will have to fill the press a couple times to fill an order I just leave a can of lube on it. Gets hot enough to melt slowly but not hot enough to burn.
Thats my system about as smooth and fast as I can get it. For right handers you will just have to stand on your head.
OK OK give me a break its -36 this morning.
BIC/BS
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/P1010004-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/P1010005-1.jpg

357maximum
11-21-2006, 04:41 PM
E-F-F-I-C-I-E-N-C-Y...I like it..nice setup...I see you are also a fan of Dans' molds...anyone have a clue when he will be back up and running? BTW...Please keep the weather you describe right there where it is...I would not want none of that here....

Michael

PatMarlin
11-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Dang Dan-

How thick is your walls?

What's the speaker magnet for?.. :mrgreen:

Bullshop
11-22-2006, 01:57 AM
Dang Dan-

How thick is your walls?

What's the speaker magnet for?.. :mrgreen:

What walls? Ya mean the ones between my ears? Oh them is stout and dont leave much room for that soft matter.
Them maggies, well ya know an ol junk man just cant stand to be too far from his maggie.
Its my secret, if ya put a magie on the bottom of yer mold it just pulls the lead right in for a perfect fill.
Dont tell no body ya heard it here, OK!
BIC/BS

PatMarlin
11-22-2006, 02:19 AM
Thought maybe they might keep ya more grounded since your closer to the N. Pole and all.. :mrgreen:

Bullshop
11-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Thought maybe they might keep ya more grounded since your closer to the N. Pole and all.. :mrgreen:
Grounded oh yea I am well grounded its just that I am running on a couple dead cells thats all!
BIC/BS

GLL
11-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Dan:

I know what you mean ! The winter of 2006 looks pretty bad here in Pasadena, California as well. It was 90 degrees Monday but a cold front hit and it will drop into the high 70's today. BURRRRRRR!

I look forward to trying the bullets you made !

Best Regards,

Jerry

MT Gianni
11-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Dan, I was talking to a guy who is left handed and shoots mainly single shots, #1 Rugers and Hi-walls as well as top eject levers. Do you shoot a bolt or try to mess with finding a left hand gun? Gianni.

Bullshop
11-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Dan:

I know what you mean ! The winter of 2006 looks pretty bad here in Pasadena, California as well. It was 90 degrees Monday but a cold front hit and it will drop into the high 70's today. BURRRRRRR!

I look forward to trying the bullets you made !

Best Regards,

Jerry
Jerry
I just dont know how you can stand it! Best break out the wool undies. BTW BS Mom said she dont think your at all funny. Dont mind her she gets a bit rough around the edges when its like this.
BIC/BS

Bullshop
11-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Dan, I was talking to a guy who is left handed and shoots mainly single shots, #1 Rugers and Hi-walls as well as top eject levers. Do you shoot a bolt or try to mess with finding a left hand gun? Gianni.
Gianni
This may sound weard but even though I am left handed I shoot right handed. When My Dad first started teaching me to shoot everytime I went to go lefty he would slap my hand. He said when you go in the army they are going to make you shoot right handed so you better learn it now.
I have no problem eather way but am now naturaly a right handed shooter.
I have found that for fit and balance for off hand shooting the rifle I can shoot the best is the Browning B-78 with round barrel. Just something about that gun that fits me. The heavy round barrel gives the muzzle weight to slow the swing and the short receiver puts the balance closer to the body.
If you think a single shot is too slow to reload consider that I once called in a group of coyotes and killed five of the six that came in.
BIC/BS

carpetman
11-22-2006, 01:29 PM
We have cooler days mixed with days into the 80's. Mowed my grass in late Sept and only one mowing since. It is overdue now and I keep putting it off with hopes of maybe being the last time this year.

mike in co
11-22-2006, 02:21 PM
i want an underwater baffle...but love the reverse of the rcbs pot pour....simple but awsome!

Bullshop
11-22-2006, 03:48 PM
i want an underwater baffle...but love the reverse of the rcbs pot pour....simple but awsome!
Mike
Does that mean you did the RCBS flip to your pot?
I was having to send one back about once a year to stop drips. They always rebuld the entire pot free of charge even when I offer to pay, but I just dont like the transit time. Havnt had a problem since I did the flip.
I have been running about 1 to 1.5 ton through each of my pots per year so others not running that volume may not notice any drip problem for awhile.
BIC/BS

FISH4BUGS
11-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Gianni
This may sound weard but even though I am left handed I shoot right handed. BIC/BS

Not at all - I am right handed and shoot a rifle left handed and a handgun right handed. Why? I'm blind in my right eye. I cross over and use my left eye and hold the handgun in my right hand. I seems quite natural to shoot a rilfe left handed to me. But working a left handed bolt just doesn't work, thus I shoot right hand bolt rilfes left handed. Got it?
Works for me.

Nrut
11-25-2006, 08:06 PM
I feel for yea Dan...It is only running 0*F to -6*F here now but that's cold enough!....Probably only seen -40*F or colder 20 days out of the last five years......a steady diet of that would suck......:(

Bullshop Junior
11-29-2006, 11:52 PM
I am right handed shoot left handed and use a right handed gun.:roll:.
DANIEL/BS JR.:Fire: