PDA

View Full Version : 401 Power Mag loads

rmcc
02-27-2011, 10:42 PM
OK !! I have collected bullets (240 gr tumble lube, 200 SWC Herters, & 160 gr wad cutter Herters, made some cases and got some from a member here, will use 10mm dies. Need to come up with a "pooch" load to start with. You folks got any loads that maight fill the bill? Whoever had this pistol before me believed in high velocity/ high leading!! Am still trying to get the lead out.... So I don't want to do this again!! Thanks in advance.

Rich

TCLouis
02-27-2011, 11:18 PM
I suggest looking for an article written by Taffin.

He did a pretty good article with load data for this very caliber some years ago.
I forget where it is posted.

Glen
02-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Here's an article on loading cast bullets in the Herters .401 Powermag:

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell401PowerMag.htm

rmcc
02-27-2011, 11:38 PM
Thanks guys!! Iam going to try the H110 load.

9.3X62AL
02-28-2011, 12:27 PM
I suspect that Glen's article is the most exposure ever given to this caliber. It is CERTAINLY the most comprehensive load data I've ever seen. As always, very nicely done.

Billwnr
02-28-2011, 12:51 PM
If you are shooting cast remember to size the bullets to at least .403, otherwise you will have bad leading. I bought one of these clunkers back in 1967 and it would shed parts real bad. The ejection bar would shear the barrel screw off, the cylinder pin would creep out and the rear sight screw would creep out also. Also leaded badly with the undersized .401 bullets.

But other than that it was the best $47.95 gun a 19 year old could order thru the mail and have delivered to his front door.

rmcc
03-01-2011, 01:00 AM
Thanks for all the replies! This is a GREAT site for help, you guys are the BEST!!

Anyway, I have got enough 30/30 brass now from Nick. Justin got me a .403 mould so started in. Justin sent me a few 401 brass he had that had been shot and a few loaded rounds. There must be some chamber variations from revolver to revolver because these would not go in my cylinder. Ran them through a 41 mag sizer and they went in snug. Got a 40 S&W die and sized them again, worked perfect.

Set the lathe up and turned the rims on 40 cases down to .483, this takes a little while. Next, trying to figure out with the little amount of tooling I have for the lathe, was how to cut off cases to length. Finally came up with using a drill bit inside the neck so I could tighten it up tight and using dial caliper to set overall length from rim to bit. I made these a few thousandths long. I figured by the time I trim to length and bell the case mouths I may have some casualties. I will have to buy a set of 10 mm dies to finish up, but so far has beena lot of fun getting stuff around to shoot the ol' gal!! Revolver was made in 61' so I either got a good one or a bad one. From everything I have seen here, they either love them or hate em. Being made by JP Sauer and Sohn is not a bad thing in my mind, I have a 1930 32 ACP that I would put up against a 1903 Colt for quality. But I digress.
THANKS again to everyone on the site here who has helped with brass, bullets, equipment, and knowledge!!
If anyone want photos or a breakdown of the process, PM me and I will be glad to email to you.

Thanks,
Rich