PDA

View Full Version : T/C Agate flints

Fly
02-27-2011, 06:08 AM
I just bought some, but have not tryed them yet.I read some were they had
mixed reviews, some good some bad.

They look really good, but just wanted to know how many of you use them.
The reveiws on Bass Pro Shop say they out last English flints 3 to 1.:confused:

Dean D.
02-27-2011, 06:51 AM
I've used both, as a lapidary (gemcutter) I am able to cut my own agate flints. Agate sparks well but it is harder than English or French flint and will chew up a frizzen faster. Being harder they do tend to last longer. I do prefer flint when I can get them though.

NickSS
02-27-2011, 07:27 AM
I have used them but much prefer english flints. They work OK but you have to whipe them clean after each shot or you will get misfires.

jtaylor1960
02-27-2011, 08:10 AM
The agate seems to last longer but I get better spark from the English.

jhrosier
02-27-2011, 08:54 AM
I had a flinchlock rifle back in the day and had nothing but trouble and aggravation with it.
Then a knowledgeable shooter got me using good English flints and the gun was wonderfully reliable thereafter.

Jack

Maven
02-27-2011, 10:50 AM
I bought 3 of the T/C flints from Gander Mt. to try in my Dixie flintlock rifle because it was unreliable. Part of the problem was the frizzen (since cured by Waksupi), part was the lock geometry (a shim under the flint helped), and part was the vent liner itself (beleling the inner & outer surfaces). It is reliable with new Tom Fuller & Rich Pierce flints, but their longevity is limited. However, the Dixie lock does rather well with the T/C agate "flints," giving me at least 80 shots (closer to 100) before I need to refresh the edge, which isn't easy. In fact, I keep a new one around to test the frizzen hardness of the frizzen of any flintlock gun I happen to purchase. Having said this, let me also say there are a few disadvantages to the T/C agate flints, the first being price (expensive!), the second being size (too small for some locks), and the last being their lack of authenticity or "period correctness," which isn't a concern of mine. As for them "chewing up frizzens," I haven't yet experienced it.

Lead Fred
02-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Dont use a third world production lock, nor store bought flints.
A guy on a flintlock board makes them, right here in the US.
One lasts me all year. Sometime two, depending on how many matches I shoot.
Thats 25 shots a match, 8-10 times a year or more.

I buy all my flints from Rich Pierce

waksupi
02-27-2011, 01:17 PM
I agree that they can chew up a frizzen.
However, I found that the Rich Pierce flints can do the same. On my fowler, the frizzen is chewed up bad enough, that I ordered a spare from Chambers. I do shoot a lot. I stick with the English for most shooting now. I don't buy their statement of outlasting flint by 3X.

KCSO
02-27-2011, 01:33 PM
I knap my flints when necessary and have not found that the cut agate lasts any longer than a good english flint. They don't seem to knap as well either. But I am cheap and have been known to use crick rocks too.

Dean D.
02-27-2011, 01:35 PM
I just re-read my post and I would like to rephrase my statement. "Agate flints CAN chew up a frizzen." rather than saying they definitely WILL.

Muzzleloaders, Flintlocks in particular, seem to be rather finicky about everything, powder, ball, patch, etc... Each weapon seems to prefer it's own combination. Only experimenting will tell you what works best with your flintlock.

There, now I've told ya every darned thing this here Greenhorn knows! ;)

stubshaft
02-27-2011, 05:46 PM
I've used agate and they worked well for me. The price did not outweight their performance as I get most of my flints from Rich Pierce. As far as chewing up frizzens, I have not noticed more or less wear from using agate. I do however, usually reshape and reharden my frizzens on average once a year. A can of Kasenit and a torch go a long way.

northmn
02-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Personally I think that they are a bit too expensive and prefer Rich Pierce's flints. If you need to use Agates one good way to touch them up is with the green grinder for a Dremel (I think they are silicon Oxide?) They are recommended for rocks. Wear a mask when doing so. they can put on an edge without chipping out ieces of the flint.

DP

cherokee235b
02-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Flintlock guns are very fussy and like some things over others. My 54 Cal. takes a liking to French flints best of all.

Fly
03-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Well I keep hearing how good Rich Pierce's flints are.Where might a fellow buy them from?Doe,s
he have a site that he sell them on or doe,s he market them some where else?

Dean D.
03-01-2011, 01:54 PM
try emailing him!

RPIERCE@im.wustl.edu

Good info in this old thread including posts by Rich himself: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=57070&highlight=rich+pierce

Maven
03-01-2011, 04:12 PM
All, Rich Pierce has new contact information and a new e-mail address:
http://www.huntingpa.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Missouri-Long-Trek-Flints-Info-January-2010.pdf