PDA

View Full Version : How best to cap the cylinder?

coopieclan
02-26-2011, 03:15 AM
I have seen these cappers, are they better than your fingers or a needlenose pliers?
This one @ Bass Pro Shops looks OK.

http://www.basspro.com/Traditions™-Revolver-Capper-Model-A1291/product/55509/-1029116

hylander
02-26-2011, 03:22 AM
I have that one
Works fine on my Pietta 1858, Much better than just fingers

dualsport
02-26-2011, 03:28 AM
Way better than fingers, but this one only holds 10 caps. They make longer ones that hold more.

NickSS
02-26-2011, 06:17 AM
I have a couple of Ted Cash in line cappers that work well for capping an 1858 Remington, The only issue I have with them is that they hold about 20 caps and take a lot of effort to reload so I mostly do not use them except when I take my guns to a CAS shoot and want to cap fast. I also have a colt type caper. The hold 100 caps and work well on colt style revolvers and also on Ruger old armys. They do not work on 1858 Remingtons.

gnoahhh
02-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Scare up a Ted Cash revolver capper that holds 100 caps. They work sweetly and you don't have to dick around refilling little 10 and 20 shot cappers. Just dump a tin of caps in (it'll hold more), shake it to settle them, and use a toothpick to right the ones that are upside down, slide the cover back on, lock it, and forget about it. I bought one 20 years ago and have used it for all types of caps. It's all I use for everything anymore.

DIRT Farmer
02-26-2011, 02:45 PM
+ 10 on the Ted Cash revolver capper, He makes several styles. I have a standard capper in each rifle and shotgun box. They just keep following me home. Dump in a box of caps shake sideways and they will right them selves.
Ted is a great guy and has fixed a few of mine that I have screwed up. Just hit the lever on the side to drop a cap in place on the nipple and pull off sideways. No more ruined caps from greasy sweaty hands.

Captain*Kirk
02-28-2011, 12:43 AM
I have seen these cappers, are they better than your fingers or a needlenose pliers?

Sounds like a good way to lose fingers.
Use a capper.

coopieclan
03-04-2011, 04:52 PM

Oh...Ok.

Thanks

Captain*Kirk
03-04-2011, 10:13 PM

Oh...Ok.

Thanks

Didn't mean to sound harsh, but a needle nose could easily set off a cap on a loaded chamber...pointed who-knows-where...and set off a chainfire to any other uncapped nipples.
Please-use a capped, no pliers, and not bare fingers, either! Shoot safe!

Razor
03-05-2011, 01:04 AM
Tedd Cash snail capper...
holds 100 caps...
MUCH easier to load than them D@^* inlines
MUCH easier to cap a revolver with than them ^&%$#(* inlines...

Baron von Trollwhack
03-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Just so the new shooters know, the danger is not so much the chainfire, although that possibility is vastly increased using pliers or fumbling with fingers, especially with the pliers.

The great danger is that hot jet of gas coming out of the nipple should the cap ignite when you push it "just" a little more to "seat" it with your finger.

Ever seen that picture of the C & B shooter with half a digit tip sliced wide open by an ignition gas jet from a revolver cap discharge of a loaded chamber? All the finger cap pushers here ought to sign that picture as a reminder every time they even think about that practice, let alone promote it.

BvT

coopieclan
03-08-2011, 09:13 PM
O.K. Ok, ok.
I'm buying a capper right now.

Captain*Kirk
03-09-2011, 12:55 AM
Good! I feel better now! (Saved another one!)

coopieclan
03-17-2011, 08:29 AM
I was waiting for my capper from Bass Pro but I went to the range any way.
You guys had me so worried about blowing up my revolver while capping the nipples...
Every time someone shot next to me I jumped 3 inches into the air.
I waited till he emptied his clips.

NOW I have the capper. As I look at this inline type I want to try the Ted Cash one too.

Thanks for the advise. I like my fingers.

I bought a nipple wrench and an extra cylinder too.

Baron von Trollwhack
03-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Good ! Now grease those nipple threads moderately (I always used wheel bearing grease(waterproof)), and tighten only two fingers snug. They need not be removed every cleaning, except by nervous nellies. Periodically look through the flashhole in a clean cylinder to check for similarity of hole size. Replace the biggest flash hole in an effort to maintain uniformity. Make sure caps fit nipples correctly on the cone. Good Shooting !

BvT