PDA

View Full Version : .475 BFR, totally awesome

44man
11-20-2006, 12:21 PM
Opening day of gun season and a nice doe came by at about 35-40 yd's. She stopped behind too much brush when I slowly cocked the hammer. She, and the one behind her both heard the tiny "snick" and I still had one more click to go. I got it back and had to wait a long time for her to move. When she next stopped, there were tree trunks and branches in the way. She turned around and started to go back to my left. She stopped and I had a tiny opening but all I could see was part of her neck and chest, quartered toward me. I put the dot on her neck and squeeeeezed. When the gun came up in recoil, all I seen was white hitting the ground. She never wiggled. The boolit went into her neck and came out behind her right shoulder. I used my very accurate WFN boolit.
So here is another one that could not take the pressure and hung herself.

475/480
11-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Well done 44Man.I hope to get a buck or doe this weekend.

Sean

Baldy
11-20-2006, 01:34 PM
I see some good eating in your future .44Man.

44man
11-20-2006, 02:49 PM
I wish all of you the best of luck!

Bass Ackward
11-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Well .... either you are just a good shot .... or one real ugly sucker to make them hang it up like that.

The board has a pool goin to see which one of those it is.

Since you don't appear in any of the pictures, I am beginning to wonder if I should change my bet. :grin:

Are you sure that ain't the same one? And what is that hole back in the hind quarter? Was that the fourth or fith shot?

:bigsmyl2:

44man
11-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Not a hole, just from dragging to the truck. The hole is in the neck on that side. The archery kills are a pile of frozen slabs.
I kind of get the feeling you don't believe me! Come over and I will make a venison meal you will not forget.
I never need more then one shot! If I miss, fine, but it only takes one good shot to put one down.

Bass Ackward
11-20-2006, 07:18 PM
I kind of get the feeling you don't believe me!

My turn next week.

And I gotta tell you I am going to have a better story than this one shot stuff. Just to get you primed, you realize that I shoot deer so far off that I have to put salt on the bullets to keep the meat from spoiling until I get over there right? :grin:

carpetman
11-20-2006, 07:21 PM
I can only hunt early morning. I shoot em so far off it's dark by the time I reach them otherwise.

44man
11-21-2006, 01:13 PM
I dropped a friend off at my spot this morning. He uses a .308 rifle. He missed twice yesterday and twice this morning. Then he shot a tiny button buck. Holy smokes, what a mess! The inside was all blood shot and it stunk. My other neighbor missed a bunch too. There are deer all over limping now. I never seen such carnage.
How in the world do you teach guys to hunt and have patience to wait for a perfect shot? They try to shoot through trees and brush and try to hit moving animals without picking an opening.
I never shoot unless I am sure, there are other deer if I can't get a clean shot. Let them go! I am a firm believer that archery hunting will make a better rifle hunter.

lar45
11-24-2006, 11:06 PM
2 years ago, I shot a big cow elk.(one shot) We got her home, hung up and started skinning the back half and ran into a spot where someone must have taken a shot at her a month or 2 back. The hide was grown over and stuck to the meat. It smelled really bad like rotten eggs. We tried saveing some, but even the front half had the same terrible smell. We took it to the Fish & Game office. They said they wouldn't eat it and gave me a new tag.
So not only was somebody poaching, they couldn't shoot worth sh*t.
It's amazing the guys you run into that talk up a storm, but can't shoot their rifle without yanking the trigger.
I was at the range a month back and a guy was sighting in his 340 wby. At 25 yards! He wasn't just getting the scope on the target, then moveing to 100. He spent almost a whole box getting it fine tuned at 25. He had his laptop there with a ballistics program running to put in where he wanted his zero to be able to shoot to 350... And then took the numbers for the 25 yard column to get it tweaked in!
The bad part is it was a friend of mine that was going Elk hunting with us. I finally convinced him to shoot it at 100 yds just to make sure. He did, but crumpled the target up on his was back and I didn't get to see it.
Needless to say, no Elk for him.

44man
11-25-2006, 11:24 AM
I am so glad we are all shooters first and hunters last.