PDA

View Full Version : Lead Pot Thermometer

Bushrod
02-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Picked this up on Ebay, He was selling them for $18.95 .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150567471839

montana_charlie
02-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Wrong temperature range...

bumpo628
02-25-2011, 11:18 PM
It's not that it's wrong, but it might be a bit low. Technically, you don't want to cook your lead over 750 anyway so you'll be able to use it. Most people get the 200-1000 deg. thermometer.

The cheapest I've found that model is here for $25 delivered:
http://www.kck.com/tel-tru_grill_smoker_thermometer.html

Scroll down to the part no. BBQ-TT-200-5-200/1000
The price is $19 + $6 shipping = $25
I got mine from them in about 3 or 4 days.

geargnasher
02-26-2011, 12:06 AM
I bought a BBQ thermometer at one of the big home stores years ago, it never read anywhere near correct when in contact with lead (WAY high), but it works fine installed in the top of my mould oven (steel box) on top of a hot plate. Something about being designed to read air temperature vs. molten metal.

Gear

HammerMTB
02-26-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm sure others have thought of this as well- I use a type "K" thermocouple and my multi-meter as my thermometer. Actually, I have mine hooked to my PID controller so my pot is always within +-20F or so, but I can monitor the temp easily that way.
TCs are easy to come by, and very hardy, and will measure temps well beyond the needs of any caster, even if one should venture up to the temps of zinc.

EDIT: It seems some are not familiar with the thermocouple (hereafter TC) so I thought I'd elaborate some.
A TC uses dissimilar metals to generate a small voltage that varies with temp. Using a conversion chart, you may determine the temp. Chart HERE (http://www.omega.com/temperature/z/pdf/z218-220.pdf)
You can also use a TC adapter to allow a DMM to display temp directly on the DMM screen. Since I use this extensively at work, that's easy for me to say- they cost over $100, but if you take care of it it will last a lifetime Adapter HERE (http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=k%20type%20thermocouple%20DMM%20converter&tag=freaironl-20&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325)
So, in use, just put the TC in the molten lead and read the temp, either directly using the adapter, or using the conversion chart to change the millivolt reading to degrees F or C.
My setup has the TC directed to a PID and pot control there, so I choose temp and the PID controller keeps the pot within 20F or so regardless of the level in the pot. The PID also displays the temp. But thats a whole 'nuther can of electronic worms.

DJ1
03-19-2011, 07:20 AM
ROTOMETALS sells a very good one for about $40.00 shipped

ItZaLLgooD
03-19-2011, 08:14 AM
I got a DMM at Wally world for $18. It came with a thermocouple. I pinched off the end of a small stainless tube and slid the TC in to keep the molten lead off the wire. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I am only using it as a reference. Wheel weights cast nice boolits from my Lee molds when the DMM says 675-700 so its at least close.

You have to remember to shut the DMM off though. I have gone through 3 sets of batteries.

patsher
03-21-2011, 12:17 AM
bbqbonanza.com

$18.95, Tel-Tru, 2" dial, 200-1000 temp range, 5" stem, clip-on holder
$6 shipping for first one, $4 shipping each one after that

Really fast shipping.

Dannix
03-21-2011, 07:43 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=99335&highlight=thermometer

XWrench3
03-21-2011, 07:45 AM
every thermometer made will vary a little from its design specs. take 10 different thermometers off the line at set intervals, and you will get some variation in every one of them. hopefully, this will work in your pot. my thermometer (lyman) reads about 750 as the perfect pour point in my pot. which is the limit on your thermometer. if my thermometer reads less than 700, nothing will even come out of the spout (bottom pour). also, most thermometers are most accurate in the middle of the scale, with the ends of the scale the least accurate. i am not trying to bum you out, just telling you what you may not know. realisticly, the number it reads is not so important. what is important is that you have a mark that you can learn to where the lead pours the best and gives you the best results. if the thermometer reads 400, or 900, i really would not care, (as long as the lead really is not @ 900 degrees!) i hope it works for you. good luck.

gray wolf
03-21-2011, 12:15 PM
$18.95, Tel-Tru, 2" dial, 200-1000 temp range, 5" stem, clip-on holder
$6 shipping for first one, $4 shipping each one after that

It's what I use.

what is important is that you have a mark that you can learn to where the lead pours the best and gives you the best results. if the thermometer reads 400, or 900, i really would not care, (as long as the lead really is not @ 900 degrees!) i hope it works for you. good luck.

Can't agree more

prs
03-21-2011, 12:45 PM
I have an infra-red thermo that also has a probe. It seems to read reasonably well with either method. I rarely use it, I set the pot to cast as I like 'em and go from there.

prs