PDA

View Full Version : Floods and Cast Boolits

Ohio Rusty
02-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Yesterday I received my Lyman mould 429244 from Obssd1958 (Don). The mould was in excellent shape when it arrived and I thank Don for letting me have it. He's A+++ !! Today I had an excuse to give the mould a run. Ohio got pounded with heavy snow in the north and floods in the south. My road was flooded at both ends and I couldn't get out of the county, so I had no choice but to use a personal day and stay home. Being home, I did what every good caster would do .... I made boolits !! I cleaned up the new 429244 well, and started a fire in the wood burner in the garage. I was also anxious to try out an alloy of 50/50 WW's/pure lead, no tin added. I had both types of ingots cast so equal amounts of lead were put in the pot to melt.

It wasn't long the garage was warm and the pot with the silver metal was melted and ready to pour. I started with the 429244 and after a few cold boolits, the mould was dropping great .44 boolits. Since I had some other moulds I wanted to try that alloy in, I cast fine boolits from those moulds with surprisingly few rejects. The 50/50 dropped boolits really well from all the moulds. Once in a while, the softer sprues would stick in the sprue plate hole, and a piece of copper wire would push them out. I was anxious to try this alloy as this will be my hunting melt. Now I just need some warm weather to shoot them to try them. The pic shows from l to r, 358429 solid, 158 grain Lee SWC-HP, the new 429244 and the 358439 HP that weighs 155 grains. This is the Hp boolit I load for my Ruger LCR snubby, .38 special, 4.5 grains of unique.
The next step is to send this 429244 mould to Buckshot next week to turn it into a HP boolit. Look out next deer season !!
Ohio Rusty ><>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/OhioRusty/boolits.jpg

MtGun44
02-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Another tragedy of someone trapped by flood waters. . . . . . . .

RIGHT! ;-)

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

Bill

Charlie Two Tracks
02-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Very good looking boolits. Great use of a personal day!