PDA

View Full Version : Future rifle range?

Jim
02-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Below is a photo of an old logging road that goes down the back of our place. From where I shot the photo the the point where I could build a berm is about 120 yards.
I took the photo from the best place to build a shooting bench, so what you see is what you would be looking at from the shooting bench. What looks like a log laying across the road at the bottom is a small pile of dirt that was pushed up to keep vehicular traffic off the road when the logging was done.
I'm thinking of building a hand crank target retrieval system so I don't have to walk up and down that broken old road. There's no power within a few hundred yards, so making it motor driven is out of the question.
The nearest house, within about 30 degrees on either side of the line of fire, is about a half mile away. There's about a quarter mile of thick woods below the bottom, so if if an errant shot got by the berm, the chance of it getting past all those woods is really slim.
Building the berm and target board is not an issue. Just gotta figure out how to build a target retrieval system without the rope being in the way.

http://fgsp.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/pics-053-e1298662937247.jpg

white eagle
02-25-2011, 03:59 PM
looks like a plan
although walking up and down will also be good for the shooter
beautiful spot
lets do it
looks a whole bunch like Wisconsin

Olevern
02-25-2011, 04:04 PM
What walkin up and down, send a new booliteer :)

fishnbob
02-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Ah the beautiful, rolling hills of southwest Virginia. Fresh mountain air and a breeze ablowin' all the time. How far is it to that far hill yonder? There is room for them mileormore shots.

Olevern
02-25-2011, 04:08 PM
What walkin up and down, send a new booliteer :)

Plan #2: get a four wheeler and have Caleb or Jarrett ride down, retrieve the target and repost another - I guarantee the boys will not complain.

Let us know when you finish all the work, we'll all come down and shoot on it :)

Vern

mooman76
02-25-2011, 04:13 PM
With a good spotting scope you won't have to walk much.

P.K.
02-25-2011, 04:22 PM
As good as I was maybe am I can't think( strike that I can with alot of drag from weight and tackle) of a good way to manually crank that much line for a manual retreaval. What kind of grade are we talking here? If you are using a Bobcat or tractor to build the berm why not scrape a level path for a four wheeler? That would be my choice then the target stand could be pretty robust and not dependant on the wind for a stationary target. Just a thought, nice place though. ;-)

3006guns
02-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Why not one of those small 12 volt winches from Harbor Freight? Take two wraps of braided steel line around a capstan head and wind your target in or out. When done for the day, take the battery back and stick it on a charger at the house.

Geraldo
02-25-2011, 04:35 PM
How far is it to that hilltop in the distance, and do you know the owner?

It would give you a good reason to buy one of these:

http://www.cheytac.com/Products/408M200Interventionimg.asp

Jal5
02-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Even an old lawn tractor would work to ride back and forth if funds are tight for a ATV 4 wheeler.

Joe

Jim
02-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Well, let's see,
1- I can't shoot past the bottom of the hill as that's the limit of my property and the shot would cross a road and a couple of houses. And that hill is occupied by a house that can't be seen in the photo.
2- As for the 4 wheeler, no budget for that. As for ridin' my mower up and down the hill, the photo is deceiving. It's a bit more steep than it looks.
3- Have the boys fetch the targets. Good idea IF they're here.
4- Mooman, I DO have a good spotting scope. I'm planning on building a target board with a full sheet of ply. I can put up quite a few targets, shoot for a while and fetch them all at one time.
5- Renting a Bobcat or tractor is not in the budget.
6- A winch would require a battery and a charger, none of which I have. Again, not in the budget.

Oh, I'll pull it together, rest assured. I'm just gonna hafta make it work with what I have, that's all.

BUT, when I DO "git 'er done", y'all are more than welcome to come shoot with me. No "little red hen" syndrome here.

Oh, one more thing: Thanks for your responses, guys! Just wanted to share the photo. Kinda' excited about havin' my own rifle range for the first time in my life.

kodiak1
02-25-2011, 06:59 PM
That picture has to be photo cropped there isn't any of that white stuff on the ground!!!!!!!!

Looks like nice country.

Ken.

pmeisel
02-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Good luck in your range prep!

Olevern
02-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Git er done and I just might have the ticket here in the garage. A Honda TRX-125 four wheeler, just needs a new chain and sprockets. We'll talk.
vern

klcarroll
02-25-2011, 11:23 PM
Renting a Bobcat or tractor ISN'T part of the plan?????

........Then me and my bad back are going to be REAL scarce when it comes time for all the shovel-work that "Berm-Building" would entail!!!!!:kidding::kidding:

Kent

MT Gianni
02-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Jim, I suggest a good berm, 100 yd range, 50 yard range and a 25 yard range with target retrieval @ 25 and possibly 50 yards.

white eagle
02-26-2011, 12:19 AM
I was gunna say
why no 50 yd peestol range meester

Jim
02-26-2011, 09:00 AM
My wife is wondering where we're supposed to get all this money y'all are spendin' for us.

rhbrink
02-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Plastic money, that solves all problems doesn't it?:kidding:

Bad Water Bill
02-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Why not It works fer Obummer.:bigsmyl2:

clintsfolly
02-26-2011, 09:32 AM
AS my father said one day. We'll make a great place here if your money holds out! go slow and plan right Clint

Fishman
02-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Jim, I suggest a good berm, 100 yd range, 50 yard range and a 25 yard range with target retrieval @ 25 and possibly 50 yards.

I agree with MT Gianni. Also, you are going to want to rent a tractor with a front end loader. I have pretty much this same situation and bit the bullet several years back and bought one. For how often I use it I could just rent but it is very handy. A midsize in the hands of someone moderately capable with plenty of topsoil about should build you some berms easy in a half day. I'd go for a 40 hp as they are 3x as capable (or thereabouts) as compared to a 30 hp.

You'll also have to dress the berms up at least every couple years. More if you shoot a lot I would guess. You might be able to do this with a couple of boys armed with shovels.

Maybe some neighbor would trade tractor time for range time?

trk
02-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Looks like where I was shooting over near Pilot this afternoon at a friend's range.

I would feel more comfortable with a LOT of trees in the backstop area to ensure you wouldn't be dropping presents to neighbors.

Taylor
02-27-2011, 08:50 AM
Find a flat spot from a strip job.

Bad Water Bill
02-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Jim Sure seams like some folks have more money then memory. NOT in the budget is very understandable with me.

Every time the boys come over they move a couple 5 gal buckets of soil to the berm. May take a little time but It will get er done within the budget.

Now as to 25-50 and 100 yard shooting. Get 8 steel fence posts as the Indiana D N R does. Mount 3 3/8 X 3 bolts on each post. Stretch chicken wire between posts and use clothes pins to hang targets. The wire lasts about a week at the public range so your time will vary. Hang lots of targets but keep track of who is shooting at which target. With a little practice the boys will only have to make the long walk once an hour.

Now you have a good berm and 25 50 75 and 100 yard range done for around $20.00. Oh yes you can use some of those saplings and 20 penny nails and reduce the price some more. Challenge the boys to find more ways to reduce the cost even more. Bet they will surprise you.

Jim
02-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Yes sir, Mr. Bill, them's good ideas! An' I 'preciate it, too!

Fishman
02-27-2011, 07:08 PM
Jim Sure seams like some folks have more money then memory. NOT in the budget is very understandable with me.

Every time the boys come over they move a couple 5 gal buckets of soil to the berm. May take a little time but It will get er done within the budget.

On the contrary. I have a very good memory. As a young teenager I built my own shooting range with some old pallets, a wheelbarrow, and a shovel. The pallets made a frame that was filled with dirt. It was thick enough that rifle rounds wouldn't go through it. I used it a lot until one time I happened to see something not quite right. After a couple more shots I went to check and discovered three holes in the back of the frame! Seems the dirt settled and left a void. Bottom line was that I took a shortcut because I didn't have the appropriate tool.

Don't take a shortcut. It's not worth it.

higgins
02-27-2011, 08:09 PM
If the trail turns left beyond the small dirt pile that looks like a log and runs along your property line to a road, I would consider a big dirt pile or a gate at the junction of the trail and the road and some appropriate signage. That might , prevent Murphy riding up to the impact area on his ATV while you're shooting. I'm not trying to discourage your project, but we do have to make allowances for those among us who often don't exercise very good judgement.

Thin Man
02-28-2011, 12:44 PM
If you find a deal on an electric winch system for target retrieval, why not consider picking up a small portable generator that runs on regular gasoline to power the winch. Not only could you use it for the target system, you could power up the electric hand tools you might use for construction of the target frame and shooting bench. After all that, portable generators are really handy to have around for a crop of other uses. Prices on these, both new and used, have come down considerably from what they were a few years ago. Just a thought...

Thin Man

steg
02-28-2011, 01:38 PM
LOL, that's why I take my Grandsons along, they love to shoot, make the whole thing more fun, and they make great retreivers.....................steg

deltaenterprizes
02-28-2011, 01:50 PM
I hope you have plenty of liability insurance for stray boolits!

BeemerMark
02-28-2011, 02:00 PM
I doubt any kind of wire or rope will work well due to the sag in the line. Also trying to install something that isn't in the line of site (and possible hit by a round) will be difficult.

I suggest a spinning steel target or something that will reset automatically.

mroliver77
03-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Good Lord! We are talking about 100 yards here! Unless you have a medical condition walking the 200 yards to and fro should not be a big deal. I am over weight, have back and neck damage that puts me in constant pain and I can walk the 250 yards each way to my farther targets a few times during an outing. If you cannot, lay off the McD's and pall malls. I try to find reasons to walk more. It's good for us.
jay

Wayne Smith
03-01-2011, 01:07 PM
If I remember right it's the steepness rather than the distance that's the problem. If that's true a line may work because there will be plenty of room for sag. Remember the problems of shooting up or down hill, your actual distance is the base of the angle, not the hypotenuse(sp) which is your visual line.

firefly1957
03-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Do you know how much the angle will affect impact of you bullets at the targets.
Dirt is you best bet for back stop but beware if you shoot short bullets May ricochet over berm(s). I have seen a old lawn mower used to send or move targets also a bicycle can be used if you do not want to use gas. besides the video of you pedaling targets might earn the money for dirt work.[smilie=2: Oh they already had a suggestion at castboolits.