PDA

View Full Version : Man, I love the Boolit forum!

Hamish
02-25-2011, 03:27 AM
Headed to the in-laws this weekend, thought I would try the JPW/Alox mix on some of the FIL's .41 Mag swc's that I had casted about a year ago at the same time I was going to TL 500 .45 swc's I casted a couple of day's ago. Firstly, If the only thing I ever learned from this forum was the JPW trick and panlubing, (making my first batch next week.) then I'd be a happy guy. Learning to check the as cast size of what I'm dropping saved me from having to size this load of CB's, :) Secondly, I learned to cast by dropping onto a damp cloth, wich was alway's fine for 7mm and .41, but, by virtue of this bunch, I now know that the problems I have had in the past with .44's and .45's OOR has been post drop sag while still hot. The 500 .45's I cast by dropping down the slit t-shirt into a 5 gallon bucket of water. Best looking bullets I've ever dropped. Interestingly, (for me if no-one else:mrgreen::mrgreen:) the just cast are DECIDEDLY harder that the old .41's. (I guess it's time to invest in a hardness tester.) Folk's, I don't know if I'll ever wade through all of the content on this site, but I'm sure gonna enjoy myself trying! :castmine: Rich @(:^]#>:::

Shiloh
02-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Thousands of years of collective experience on this website.

I cast better quality, more consistent boolits from info learned on this site.

Shiloh

Charlie Two Tracks
02-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Anything that I know about casting, I picked up here. I am continually pleased with how nice the people are here.

Bob J
02-25-2011, 08:47 AM
Anything that I know about casting, I picked up here. I am continually pleased with how nice the people are here.

The same for me.... This site is a huge resource if you want practical real world experience in casting.... Great bunch of folks too....

Mustangpalmer1911
02-25-2011, 08:49 AM
I was sent here from a couple youtube videos and I cant leave.

Jim
02-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Glad to have your company, fellas. Like the others have said, there's more knowledge and experience here than you could put in the Library of Congress.
Another thing I like about this forum is, the staff doesn't put up with any foolishness with respect to how people act.

Doby45
02-25-2011, 10:18 AM
I also drop through a slit tee shirt when I water drop mine. Keeps the little splashes from hitting me in the eye. ;)

Stick_man
02-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Looks like you have been with us for just over a month now so others have probably already welcomed you, but I'd like to welcome you anyway. [smilie=s: As others have already indicated, the wealth of knowledge here is astounding. The folks that hang out here are some of the best you can find ANYWHERE! There seems to never be a lack of people willing to help solve a mystery or toss ideas back and forth or just plain share the knowledge. The chat rooms are a great place to kick back and BS a bit as well as get to know the others a little bit.

Happy Casting!
:cbpour:

skeet1
02-25-2011, 02:25 PM
I have found that no matter how long you have been casting or reloading you will never learn it all. This forum will show you that truth very quickly. I can't tell you how much information I have gleaned here. I hope other I have told about this site will find it as informative as I have. I also appreciate how the site is managed.

Ken

selmerfan
02-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Welcome to the forum! Take some time to wade through. Like others, everything I know about casting I have learned from this site, plus it has sparked some other ideas. This is one of THE best site's on the internet, bar none.

toddx
02-25-2011, 10:08 PM
I too am grateful for the knowledge and friendliness of the Gents here.
I feel like I am taking a night class on casting with really cool teachers.
I just hope I can soon add some thoughts instead of only extracting them.
Thanks
T

NHlever
02-26-2011, 08:54 AM
I was a bullet caster for about 48 years when I found this site, and have learned as much since joining as I did in all those years I think sometimes. Certainly what I have read here has enhanced, and given reasons for many things I saw, but didn't fully understand.

jlchucker
02-26-2011, 11:39 AM
I was a bullet caster for about 48 years when I found this site, and have learned as much since joining as I did in all those years I think sometimes. Certainly what I have read here has enhanced, and given reasons for many things I saw, but didn't fully understand.

Maybe not for 48 years, but me too! After joining this website and reading the back and forth postings on various aspects and techniques, I have come to realize that until I found this site I really knew hardly anything at all about casting good boolits. Enhanced is the right word, NHLever.

Ohio Rusty
02-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Before the internet .... we had to do with what we could find in books and magazines, and that wasn't always right. What worked for others, didn't always work for us as we had different circumstances, guns, etc. There was really no one to ask and it was trial and error unless you has a casting and reloading mentor. I didn't.

It's great that all the knowledgable folks can gather in one place and share what they have learned and the new learning that takes place. Virtually all the new casting and reloading knowledge I use now has come from this site. All my new learning has replaced all the old learning, and things are better in every aspect of my shooting hobby. I appreciate everyones time that gets on here to share their wisdom. I use the archives alot as there is a wealth of knowledge there that has been posted, and I print out alot of the data for future use and reference.

I'm happy to be a member here, and I hope that I can help others with what I learn.

Ohio Rusty ><>

Walter Laich
02-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Got info from here on downloading .45-70 cartridges. Now it's fun to shoot my rolling block

plus a bunch more good stuff that I'm too old to remember right now :)

parson48
02-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Like others, I've learned most of what I know about casting right here! I've been a member since mid 2007. Haven't posted a lot, but have learned quite a bit! Also, I never let pass an opportunity to send those with any thought of casting to this site.

Kraschenbirn
02-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Been casting, off and on, since the early '70s and I it's a (rare!) disappointing day that I don't learn something new.

Bill

C.O.B. #14

plainsman456
02-27-2011, 01:20 AM
I have been looking here for a few months and I have to say I have learned a lot.
It is nice to know that so many folks cast bullets these days.
Thanks

Hamish
03-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the encouragment guy's. What's scary is that once you start to get enough knowledge/experience to to cast with some amount of confidence you soon learn how much you don't know! When I first started I was casting the Lee 7mm, and I just got in there and played till I got a good looking uniform, good flying bookit. Now looking at a particular firearm I want to cast for, the possible dead ends can be daunting. I just keep reminding myself to just pour 'em, lube 'em, and shoot 'em. As has been said, the amount of experience on this forum is absolute nirvana. Got a question or a goofy idea? Search it and there it is!! Bad part is I can't figure out how to get past my firewalls to download the Java add ons to participate in the chat rooms.

WILCO
03-03-2011, 01:35 PM
I also drop through a slit tee shirt when I water drop mine.

Just learned something new today! Thanks.

PatMarlin
03-04-2011, 01:02 AM
CB's the best. The best... :Fire:

Skipper488
03-04-2011, 10:26 AM
I've been reloading for a couple of years but I've only been casting for a few months. A poster on another website suggested this one for my cast questions, now I spend more time here. Great Site. :D

Doby45
03-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Well we are glad to have you Skipper. :cbpour: