PDA

View Full Version : pietta 1858 timing question

shoestring
02-24-2011, 02:28 PM
hi all, I have a '58 pietta in .44. i have had it for a couple of years and i can't go to the range without it. starts alot of conversations. my sons 21st birthday is coming up and i bought one for him, i got the blued, 8" target model. in looking it over i see that it has a timing problem. in half cock when you rotate a chamber under the loading lever, when you hear the hand click into the sprocket, you have gone too far. in order to make it work you would have to hold the cyl just before the click in order to load. I haven't had a chance to look it over too much yet but in my minds eye i can see it being one of two things. one, the hand is too long and needs to be shortened. as long as it will still reach lock up at full cock that seems easy enough to do. two, the half cock notch in the hammer needs to be adjusted away from the full cock notch. this looks doable enough as long as sear depth and notch angle are kept in tolerance. or maybe a little of both. I'm planning on giving it a good looking over this weekend and probably making the repairs. I can't return it and have a replacement in time for b-day. i would give it a fine file and hone job anyways just to smooth things up a bit. I did this to mine and it cleaned up real nice. i didn't remove enough metal to change timing, but on this new one it looks like i will have to. if i screw it up i can always buy new parts and start over. is there anything else i should look at that i have missed? thanks