PDA

View Full Version : .50 boolit for elk from a 1:28 twist?

troy_mclure
02-24-2011, 02:23 AM
my dad needs a boolit for an upcoming colorado elk hunt. he uses sabots currently in his knight wolverine, but colorado doesn't allow sabots.

so what is a good boolit for elk from a 1:28" twist 22" barrel muzzeloader using 2 50gr pyrodex pellets?

firefly1957
02-24-2011, 02:37 AM
Try a full caliber bullet like the Buffalo bore bullets They should shoot well I think you will have to
try what is available rather than what is best . If you are getting a mold Lee only has a R.E.A.L. bullets in 250 and 320 gr the heavier may work better but nothing is certain. I am not sure how soon you need it but there are other mold companies that make suitable molds. You might repost in muzzle loader section to get more help. Come to think of it I have talked to people who liked power belt bullets I just have no experience with them.

onondaga
02-24-2011, 03:58 AM
I really like the Lee R.E.A.L also and agree that the heavier 320 gr would work best with that twist. Most important with that mold is to cast it with very pure soft lead. I simply lube mine with Lee Liquid Alox and my best load groups less than 1 inch at 50 yards with a worked up volume load of Pyrodex P .

My rifle is a .50 Lyman Great Plains with a slower 1:48 twist so I use the lighter 250 gr. R.E.A.L with 83 gr. volume of Pyrodex P. My group size opens up to 2.5 inches with 100 grains.

The fixed weight powder pellets is something I won't use because you cant find a sweet spot of accuracy for your rifle. When I find my load, I pre-measure at home and store my charges in speed loaders for hunting.

Gary

frkelly74
02-24-2011, 05:57 AM
PM me if you are interested in trading for or buying some 250 gr real bullets or some of the 360 gr modern minne bullets. I have both in 50 cal.

Aaron
02-24-2011, 10:25 AM
There is a site that has some interesting Colorado specific boolits. I will post it later when I can get to a computer instead ofmy phone

Aaron

HammerMTB
02-24-2011, 11:19 AM
I use a 320 gr REAL boolit in my 50 cal Thompson Hawken. Using 100 gr of Pyrodex, the groups do open up some, but it packs a helluva whallop, and will exit an elk end to end. It kills at that end, but will maim at the other, too. I bruised the he|| out of my shoulder bench sighting that thing. D@mn crescent buttplate, anyway.

white eagle
02-24-2011, 11:29 AM
to bad he doesn't use a 54 I have some conical's for that
If he wants to cast some give Tom @Accurate Molds a try
he has some dandy molds for m/l and has one in that cal
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=51-300A-D.png,
have this same one in 54 very accurate

rockrat
02-24-2011, 11:35 AM
I use a Black Belt, now Powerbelt slug for hunting Elk here in Colorado, in my Rem. 700mls. Shot my last bull (5x5) at about 90 yards, elk looked around, walked 15 steps and fell over.

Check the reguations, you cannot use powder pellets either(kind of antiquated here in their mindset, aren't they, but hey, it took many a year to even be able to use in-lines ,as the traditionalists held sway with the rulemakers, politics you know).

Good luck hunting. What unit will he be hunting?

garbear
02-24-2011, 11:58 AM
http://muzzleloading-bullets.com/

I am getting ready to try these in my inline.

troy_mclure
02-24-2011, 12:25 PM
I use a Black Belt, now Powerbelt slug for hunting Elk here in Colorado, in my Rem. 700mls. Shot my last bull (5x5) at about 90 yards, elk looked around, walked 15 steps and fell over.

Check the reguations, you cannot use powder pellets either(kind of antiquated here in their mindset, aren't they, but hey, it took many a year to even be able to use in-lines ,as the traditionalists held sway with the rulemakers, politics you know).

Good luck hunting. What unit will he be hunting?

thanks for the info on the pellets. im not sure what unit he is hunting.

Aaron
02-24-2011, 07:19 PM
http://www.prbullet.com/colcon.htm

saz
02-24-2011, 07:57 PM
http://muzzleloading-bullets.com/

I am getting ready to try these in my inline.

I use these in both my inlines (1:28 and 1:24 twists) in 495gr. I took the bull moose in my avatar with them at 115 yds a couple years ago. They work WELL! If I recall correctly, dont you colorado guys have limitations on your conicals? Something about the length of the boolit cannot exceed 2 times the diameter of the bore? (max 1" long boolit in a .50 bore for example)

idahoron
02-24-2011, 08:58 PM
I use the Lee C-501-440-RF. I paper patch them and size them to .501 They shoot fantastic out of a 1-28 twist. They are under 1" long. Ron

AZ-Stew
02-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Check the reguations, you cannot use powder pellets either (kind of antiquated here in their mindset, aren't they, but hey, it took many a year to even be able to use in-lines ,as the traditionalists held sway with the rulemakers, politics you know).

Some of the East Coast states used to require black powder and patched round ball. No "conical" bullets at all. Don't know if that's still the rule or not.

Regards,

Stew

mnkyracer
02-25-2011, 01:42 AM
In Pa there are two different muzzleloader seasons. 1st one in Oct allows inlines, 2nd after Christmas is flintlock only. For the flintlock season, patched balls were required until a couple yrs ago, now we can use maxi-hunter type boolits.

cajun shooter
02-25-2011, 11:07 AM
You might want to try the Hornaday Great Plains 385gr bullet.

Swede44mag
02-25-2011, 05:59 PM
I haven’t had a chance to go Elk hunting but I have shot a lot of deer with BP rifles.
I have a Black Knight & Wolverine in 50cal and a Knight Predator .54 I have tried REAL boolits in all three they are cast with pure lead and don't want to go down the barrel without using a hammer on the ramrod. I also have a Lyman Great Plaines rifle in 54 the REAL will go down it without any problem using a short starter then a ram-rod. My favorite is my TC .50cal flintlock I haven’t tried any real bullets it only round balls. I bought it new and conned the barrel it is extremely accurate at 25 & 50 yards. If I could see better I might consider a farther shot.

Good Luck