PDA

View Full Version : Look what followed me home!

Captain*Kirk
02-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Can, I keep it, Ma? Please!!!

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy140/Buellosaurusrex/Smokepoles/Dragoon.jpg

wellfedirishman
02-24-2011, 02:37 AM
Nice, looks like a Uberti Dragoon?

You will have fun with that. Stock up on black powder!

hylander
02-24-2011, 02:41 AM
Nice
Alright you can keep it
But your going to have to feed it and clean up after it

Geraldo
02-24-2011, 09:07 AM
By God, that's a Colt's Dragoon!

Nice!

docone31
02-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Slick!
Makes a good conversion also.

missionary5155
02-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Greetings and Congradulations !
Nice copy of a BP magnum handgun.

Hanshi
02-24-2011, 02:58 PM
If you feed it and show it affection it will bond with you and defend you.

Captain*Kirk
02-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Nice, looks like a Uberti Dragoon?
You will have fun with that. Stock up on black powder!

Yep. Uberti.:-D

Nice
Alright you can keep it
But your going to have to feed it and clean up after it

Not a problem, Mom. I've got plenty of what it eats already.[smilie=1:

Captain*Kirk
02-25-2011, 12:01 AM
By God, that's a Colt's Dragoon!

Nice!

That's right, Little Sister!
Tom Chaney don't stand a chance!:mrgreen:

Captain*Kirk
02-25-2011, 12:19 AM
A little history......
I've been in love with this gun since I was in the fourth grade and a neighbor kid loaned me a big fat book full of gun pictures and the history of firearms, going all the way back to the invention of gunpowder.
The cap and balls had me thunderstruck.
There was a double page spread of the most famous; the 2nd Dragoon with it's squareback trigger guard had me smitten the first time I saw it. I told myself I'd own one some day. (Yeah, right....)
I've been adding to my C&B collection bit by bit, and then the other day this thing found me. New in box, never fired. At a great price, I might add!
Now, I've been saving up for one for over a year, but every time I'd have enough saved up, my car would find out, and....well, you know.
So when this one came a-knockin', I jumped.
And I don't even feel guilty!
The first night I had it (last Friday) I completely disassembled it, cleaned, polished, buffed and oiled, (and every other thing you could imagine) this jewel until the brass shone like 14k gold and the finish sparkled. I polished the hammer, and trigger/sear assemblies and the difference was night-and-day. And the action was great before I started! After I put it all back together it looked like a different gun.
Can't wait to try this thing out!

Maven
02-25-2011, 01:45 PM
"I've been in love with this gun since I was in the fourth grade and a neighbor kid loaned me a big fat book full of gun pictures and the history of firearms, going all the way back to the invention of gunpowder. The cap and balls had me thunderstruck."

Capt. Kirk, I share your love of C & B revolvers. My fascination with them began in the early 1950's when Kellog's "Sugar Pops" cartons had "photos" and descriptions of several Dragoon types on the back. Also, our high school American History text had drawings of them, which further intrigued me. In the early '60's Revell offered a plastic kit of the 1851 Colt's Navy*, which I put together, and was ecstatic. Fast forward to 1970 when I got a repro. of that pistol that I really liked, but later traded away. Today I have a Euroarms 1858 NM Army (.451" RB) and a Ruger OM Army (.457" RB) and enjoy shooting them a great deal. Both are accurate, but the edge goes to the latter (better sights). In fact, the Ruger is as accurate as my BH & SBH.

Live long & prosper!

*It could be cocked and the loading lever operated, but I don't remember whether the cylinder rotated upon cocking.

Captain*Kirk
02-26-2011, 12:45 AM
I don't particularly recall the Kellogg's cereal boxes, but I wish I had a few of them!
Goes along with my theory that it doesn't take much...good OR bad...to influence a young, impressionable mind.
Of course today, those cereal boxes would be as un-PC as The Lone Ranger or Roy Rogers popping off a shot at a bad guy. Geez; for my seventh birthday I got a complete cowboy rig; hat, chaps, boots, and a double-holster rig with two staghorn- handled Colt .45's (and a super-size box of roll caps!) and I'm told I didn't take it off except for school and/or Cub Scouts until I was eight!
Now days I'd probably have to visit the elementary school shrink for an eval......:-(
Sigh...we sure live in a different time these days.
And as for that school shrink.....:takinWiz:

Geraldo
02-26-2011, 12:33 PM
I don't particularly recall the Kellogg's cereal boxes, but I wish I had a few of them!
Goes along with my theory that it doesn't take much...good OR bad...to influence a young, impressionable mind.
Of course today, those cereal boxes would be as un-PC as The Lone Ranger or Roy Rogers popping off a shot at a bad guy. Geez; for my seventh birthday I got a complete cowboy rig; hat, chaps, boots, and a double-holster rig with two staghorn- handled Colt .45's (and a super-size box of roll caps!) and I'm told I didn't take it off except for school and/or Cub Scouts until I was eight!
Now days I'd probably have to visit the elementary school shrink for an eval......:-(
Sigh...we sure live in a different time these days.
And as for that school shrink.....:takinWiz:

I think those boxes were a bit before my time, or I'd have eaten nothing else. IIRC I went through three braces of sixguns as a child.

"The past is another country, they do things differently there", because there were books about guns in our elementary school library :shock:, and I checked out little else except books about cowboys and soldiers. Today I would be marked as a dangerous child.

Bloodman14
02-26-2011, 01:17 PM
When it was following you home, was it kicking and screaming the whole way?[smilie=l:

byronw999
02-26-2011, 02:32 PM
NO, you may not keep it! I'll PM you may address so it can be properly disposed of.. :kidding:

Captain*Kirk
02-26-2011, 11:23 PM
When it was following you home, was it kicking and screaming the whole way?[smilie=l:

Nope. Durn near pulled my arm outta the socket tugging on the leash....:bigsmyl2:

Captain*Kirk
02-26-2011, 11:25 PM
NO, you may not keep it! I'll PM you may address so it can be properly disposed of.. :kidding:

Too late, Ma. We bonded.....
Besides, I don't need to sleep with the light on any more.
(Good night, l'il cowboy!)[smilie=p:

Captain*Kirk
02-26-2011, 11:33 PM
I think those boxes were a bit before my time, or I'd have eaten nothing else. IIRC I went through three braces of sixguns as a child.

"The past is another country, they do things differently there", because there were books about guns in our elementary school library :shock:, and I checked out little else except books about cowboys and soldiers. Today I would be marked as a dangerous child.

Yup, me too.
My dad once cut me a gun out of wood on the band saw, painted it silver, and wrapped the grip with black friction tape after I broke one of my "Colts". It looked pretty real. Now, THAT, folks, is parenting![smilie=l:

He also signed me up for the local NRA rifle club at 10, after much persistent nagging, so I could make some real .22 smoke.

And as for the school library, plenty of gun books. We weren't ashamed of our history, then.

cavalrymedic
02-27-2011, 09:27 PM
What a beautiful little darling. You made me very envious. I hope you get lots of fun out of it. Wouldn't it be nifty to have one of those blasters as a concealed carry? The mere sight of it would send the mopes scurrying like cockaroches.

Captain*Kirk
02-28-2011, 12:10 AM
What a beautiful little darling. You made me very envious. I hope you get lots of fun out of it. Wouldn't it be nifty to have one of those blasters as a concealed carry? The mere sight of it would send the mopes scurrying like cockaroches.

"Concealed Carry?"
You'd have better luck concealing a buffalo! LOL!
But, yup, it would be fun to watch 'em run!
(You gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?)

I will promise to have fun with it. The previous owner was in poor health and never got to shoot it.

To steal a quote from Cherry Valance (John Ireland) in "Red River":
"I haven't any such intentions"

Captain*Kirk
03-03-2011, 12:39 AM
Well, I still haven't had the opportunity to shoot this thing yet, but plenty of practice hoisting it and getting used to the heft. It is a ridiculously large and heavy firearm, and I love it!
It's obvious we will become great friends.
This is the first Uberti I've owned, and I will attest to the fit and finish of this gun. Notwithstanding the action work I did (which I would have done regardless!) the action is smooth and effortless, with very positive half-cock and crisp trigger release. Very light thumb pressure needed on the hammer as well. If it weren't such a fist-full and heavy, it would be a great one-hander. As it is, it seems to be a quite steady and stable shooting platform when gripped with a Weaver-style stance and using the left thumb to work the hammer.
I sure as hell wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of this bad boy.....:holysheep

Fredx10sen
03-05-2011, 01:33 AM
Sweeeet!

Captain*Kirk
03-06-2011, 01:18 AM
Sweeeet!
Thanks. I think so, too!