PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 429215 in an inline

richhodg66
02-23-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm contemplating using this in an inline with a plastic sabot. I've used 250 grain Kieth bullets in it with OK results, but I'd like to try the lighter bullet in hopes of less recoil and perhaps flatter trajectory.

Will the absence of a gas check on this bullet (it's a gas check design) cause any problems? I'm just wondering the effect of having that base not be square and how well it would seat in the sabot during firing.

Also, has anyone used this as a hunting bullet? It has a fairly large flat nose, though not as large as the kieth types.

T-Bird
02-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Lack of gas check in this application shouldn't matter. I shoot the Ly 429244 255gr which is also a gas check design out of a T/C Hawkin 50 cal. with good results with no gas check. Shoot Straight, T-Bird

richhodg66
03-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks. I've hunted extensively with muzzle loaders, mainly a Hawken using my own cast Lyman plains bullet, and killed several deer over the years with it. Kansas recently changed the rules to allow scopes and I'm contemplating using an inline now to make the venison collection in the warm months a bit easier and sureer.

This bullet doesn't have as large a meplat as the Kieth type, but still a pretty big flat nose. Any thoughts on this bullets killing power loaded with 80 grains of Hogdon 777?