PDA

View Full Version : Cast boolit questions

Art in Colorado
02-23-2011, 12:11 PM
I have never loaded cast boolits in a rifle caliber before. Just hand guns. I would like to try them in my 30-06. I wish to purchase a couple of hundred and see what happens. I will load them with pistol powders for just recrerational shooting. I decided on a 170 Gr. NEI Gas Check made by Bull Shop in Alaska. They wish to know what diameter and hardness I want. I do not at this time want to slug my barrel. Just want to see if I wish to jump in to this big time. So the questions are what would be the diameter that I should order for a Remington Model 700 in 30-06 that I bought new back in the mid 70's and what hardness for lower velocity loads using pistol powders?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Art

bowenrd
02-23-2011, 12:46 PM
slug the barrel or you may be heading for a headache and a waste of money. If it won't fit it won't shoot worth a hoot.

waksupi
02-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Art, no one but you can determine the diameter of you barrel. You WILL need to slug it to know.

grouch
02-24-2011, 02:01 AM
I'd try sizing .311, hand lube with a high temp. automotive grease and load with 17gr H110.
Grouch

geargnasher
02-24-2011, 02:34 AM
Art, no one but you can determine the diameter of you barrel. You WILL need to slug it to know.

Yes, and while you're at it, make an impact slug of the chamber and throat (search this site for "impact slug" for directions) so you can determine what boolit nose design might be best in your gun for the type of shooting you intend. The design you have in mind might not be the one your gun has in mind if you were to ask it.

Gear

onondaga
02-24-2011, 02:43 AM
Slugging a barrel isn't so scary and shouldn't be repugnant at all. One of our members made a video demonstrating the basics and a Youtube search has hundreds to look at. Member video:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Iraqveteran8888#play/uploads/13/ErFaJlUVs1Y

What to use for a slug is usually the first question. Egg sinkers from a fishing shop are nice and soft, they only need to be a little bigger than the bore, and you need a good micrometer, not a dial gauge.

Select a mold that is compatible by being an as cast size .001 to .003 over slugged groove to groove diameter, or select a mold that is sizable to that range. .002 over is most popular and works well for me. Very few molds are available in 30 caliber that don't require gas checks, but the best accuracy and least leading will be with gas checked bullets. Lee Lube and size kits work with your loading press and are an easy and effective way to start sizing/gas checking and lubricating cast bullets. Even custom size kits can be ordered inexpensively from Lee if needed.

A general alloy that is versatile from plinking to big game is Lyman #2 alloy at 15 BHN hardness. #2 consists of 90% lead, 5% tin and 5% antimony. other mixes will yield that all purpose 15 BHN also. RotoMetals linked at the top of the page sells #2 Lyman at $2.89/lb today. get on their mailing list and they will send you discount adds and sales notifications. There is 7,000 grains per pound. Divide that by the bullet weight you select in grains and that will tell you approximately how many bullets to expect per pound of alloy.

I collect and buy scrap lead and mix Wheelweight scrap: Linotype scrap in a ratio of 7:3 and get a 14 BHN alloy as cast but I can also heat treat bullets in that alloy up to 22 BHN for high velocity/high pressure loads. My 14 BHN gas checked, sized and tumble lubed bullets in .30 Caliber are good to about 40,000 psi loads to 2200fps without leading my bores. Only because my bullet size is good!!!

I will say that flat nose bullets in #2 alloy at hunting velocities expand 100% and retain 100% weight. This is an advantage over any commercial jacketed bullets for my hunting deer and bear in Western New York.

Gary

NHlever
02-24-2011, 07:36 AM
With a Remington of that vintage, I would just try .310 from No. 2 alloy, or 1-15 lead / tin, or the equivalant of wheel weights. I doubt you will be far off just to try it. Hope you enjoy the loads.......... maybe 12 grains of Unique to start, and decide to dive in.

Bret4207
02-24-2011, 07:43 AM
NH Lever makes a good suggestion. 13.0 Red Dot works too.

Bass Ackward
02-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Art,

Lead or cast is NEVER the problem.

The problems with cast come from operators that don't want to do what "needs" to be done or the gun itself.

Slugging and a throat slug determine if the gun is cast capable more than anything else. It's the throat slug that determines your choice of design. NOT your eye or brain.

So your decision about cast is more a check of you and your interest level than any success or failure you have with this purchase / project.