PDA

View Full Version : Stove Pipe Connections...

BCB
11-18-2006, 08:41 PM
I just purchased a coal stove and the flue comes out of the top of the stove. I have triple wall going through the ceiling in the garage. How do I get the 6” pipe to fit the distance between the female fitting on the stove and the male fitting on the triple wall? The distance has to be approximately 4” longer so as to allow the one end to insert into the stove and the other to fit over the male on the triple wall. Do they make some type of adapter to allow this to be accomplished? This do-it-yourself stuff just ain’t my cup of tea…Thanks…BCB

waksupi
11-18-2006, 10:51 PM
I used straight stove pipe for the section coming out of the stove. It isn't in contact with any building material, so isn't a fire hazard

MT Gianni
11-19-2006, 01:36 AM
The Triple wall should be run with the male side up. The single wall needs at least 6" clearance to a combustible for fuel gases it may be more for coal. The stub should fit inside the triple wall with a 2" crimped end and extend over the stove outlet. If there is no movement possible between the stove and the pipe you can start the split pipe at the top, get it into the 3ple wall and around the stub of the stove where you finish the seam. There is a slide pipe available for gas [type B double wall] that extends from 6-12" and one may be available in triple wall depending on the manufacturer. Gianni.

kodiak1
11-19-2006, 11:42 PM
Get a hold of your insurance company and they will tell you the spec's for distances.
Also if you get their advice and do it that way if there is a fire you will still have insurance and not a monster law suit.
That's my $0.02 worth.
Ken

BD
11-20-2006, 11:53 PM
Stove pipe comes in sections either 12" long or 24" long and it's not "snapped" when you buy it. You figure the length then cut one end off of a section with tin snips to make what you need before snapping it together to form the tube. if you need to add a male end, there's a set of crimpers made just to do that. All of the joints should have three sheet metal screws securing them once they're assembled, and you should stagger the seams. Lacking a specific code in force the rule of thumb for single wall solid fuel appliance connectors, (flue pipe), is 24 guage minimum and a clearance of three times the pipe diameter from combustables. IIRC Boca and the IRC codes require 36" to unprotected combustables from both the stove and the single wall pipe. This is reduced to 12" clearance to "protected" combustables.

The main objective is to have the flue connector survive a failure of the stoves combustion air inlet control. Think of glowing red stovepipe passing very hot gas at a good velocity. The radiant heat from it is significant and if the pipe comes apart you've got real trouble.
BD