PDA

View Full Version : Any .280 Handi-Rifle experience?

Marlin Junky
02-20-2011, 03:59 PM
I was thinking about getting a .280 barrel for my H-R frame basically because it's inexpensive, packs a little less lead than my '06 and is 26" long.

Anyone been successful shooting this thing with boolits from contemporary molds? I need to purchase everything 7mm (including brass) so it's not worth it to me if the barrel is a bargain and doesn't shoot worth beans.

Thanks,
MJ

NHlever
02-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Ballistically, the .280 is a nice round, and Lyman manuals have reported good concistancy with it. It has the longer neck that is good with cast bullets, and should work well with the molds available these days. I don't have one, but it would be a top choice in 7mm for me to try. The .30's and above are perhaps better for hunting since they carry a bit more diameter, and many molds with large meplats are available. I have to say that given a choice, and starting from scratch with everything I would probably choose a .30 caliber. Molds are available for weights lighter than the 7mm, and heavier too. I'm not one to follow crowds, it just is easier to go along with the mass on this. I've been casting for 50 years, or so, and my chosen calibers for cast (about all I shoot any more) are .22,.25,.30, .35, .44, and .45. I have old molds for the .270 but have never used them since I am not a fan of that caliber. I like the 7mm's, especially those in size up to the .280 Remington, and have killed game with the 7 X 57 mostly, but for some reason have not cast for them mostly due to timing, and interests at the time I guess. My only Handi Rifle right now is a 45-70, but others may be in my future too.

white eagle
02-22-2011, 02:40 PM
can't comment on the handi but I do load and
cast for the 280 ai
I have a custom mold from Mountain Molds
with a large meplat and I am getting very good accuracy with it
the only N.E.F Handi I own is the Ultra Slug Hunter for
which I am having Accurate Molds create a mold for