PDA

View Full Version : First cast bullets ever.

win38-55
02-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Saturday me and my new casting partner Tom cast our first ever bullets.
I have to say it was an awesome experience. He was casting 45 ACP.
I was casting 44 Mag. We were both using Lee 6 cavity molds, They worked flawless.
The 6 can cast alot of bullets in a very short amount of time we found out.
I am looking forward to much more casting in the future.
This was also my very first post on this forum.:castmine:

GP100man
02-20-2011, 12:10 PM
WELCOME TO THE MADNESS !!!!!!!win38-55

You & Tom are hooked now !!!!!!

& I`ve cast for a while (`83) but just stepped up to a 6banger & it`s a blast to see a pile of boolits in such short order !!!!

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/102_0525.jpg

Echo
02-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Welcome, W38-55. There is no doubt in my mind that this is THE BEST FORUM on the net! Read all the stickies, read them again, and contribute to the field of knowledge.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Win38-55,

Welcome aboard!

Casting with a partnet is a good thing, and one which can greatly increase your out put in some cases.

Now with rifle boolits and very likely a higher expectation of smaller groups, the following may not be valid.

However, for handgun fodder when I team cast with a partner, we are usually running about 5 molds. One person pouring and the other opening the molds, dropping the very hot boolits into a 5 gal. bucket of cold water for quenching.

Now, in order to keep this pace going, you need to use a LARGE lead pot over a good heat source and if posible a Rowell bottom pour ladel.

Many folk like the bottom pour pots, but they won't keep up with the amount of metal needed for the casting volumn spoken of above. At least, not the ones normally used by the average boolit caster.

I use an old Colman gas stove which gives me all the heat needed for high volumn.

When I'm casting for hunting rifle boolits, I am usually casting by myself, and a big pile of cast boolits is not the object, but even then I still favor the gas stove, large pot and the bottom pour ladel.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot