PDA

View Full Version : Any Casting Mentors in the DFW Area?

blasternank
02-19-2011, 07:08 PM
One thing I've always realized that reading up on everything is great but there's no substitute for someone teaching you some of the tricks of the trade!

I live in Keller, TX just north of Fort Worth. Is there anyone that would consider mentoring me a bit in the art of casting? I've been a reloader for 15 + years and an avid shooter both recreational and competitively. I would really like to learn from someone and will stay out of your way or help out as much as you want. Anyway, I'd like to learn from you so I can also show my son at a future date and pass on down to others what you teach me!

Thanks.

Bob

geargnasher
02-19-2011, 07:26 PM
I would if I lived closer, I used to live a few miles from Rhome but didn't have any casting buddies up there at the time. There are several members in the area that might be open to showing you how they do it.

Gear

blasternank
02-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Any volunteers??

Thanks.

geargnasher
02-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Nobody?

C'mon, guys, I know you're out there!

Gear

btroj
02-21-2011, 11:39 PM
I am in Nebraska. If I lived in your area I would help you in a heartbeat. I keep saying that hands on teaching is the best way to learn and am willing to put my money where my mouth is.

I hope you get a taker, it would be a huge step forward in your casting career.

Brad

Doby45
02-21-2011, 11:53 PM
I would be more than happy to help anyone in the Atlanta area.. if I was in TX I would help ya in a heartbeat.

Dave B
02-22-2011, 08:26 PM
PM me. I live in Southlake. Dave

btroj
02-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Good man Dave. Thanks for stepping up.

blasternank
02-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Thanks Dave I will email you.

Bob

*Paladin*
02-22-2011, 11:39 PM
You know, I sent a few PM's to folks in this area looking for folks that could show me the ropes and had a few folks reply back offering, but I haven't linked up with any (other than Geneo, who's now a shooting and Harley riding buddy!). I just took the advice of the folks here, read as much as I could and jumped in. I self-taught by trial and error and have actually done quite well. There's much more to learn tho, so a mentor would be helpful, I'm sure, but this isn't a black-art. Just take your time and start dropping some boolits! :drinks:

btroj
02-23-2011, 12:07 AM
While you can learn on your own a hands on teacher can speed the process so much. I was lucky to have such a teacher 25 years ago. I have learned much in the years since but the ability to have good lessons first hand made it so much easier.

Brad

*Paladin*
02-23-2011, 12:13 AM
While you can learn on your own a hands on teacher can speed the process so much. I was lucky to have such a teacher 25 years ago. I have learned much in the years since but the ability to have good lessons first hand made it so much easier.

Brad

I agree. I guess my point is, while I did it on my own, I had hundreds of mentors right here. The wealth of knowledge here made me sucessful without having someone standing over my shoulder. :drinks:

35 Whelen
02-23-2011, 09:21 AM
blaster I live in the Wichita Falls area. If nothing works out down there, PM me. I'll be doing a large-batch casting of rifle bullets in the next month or so. Also make my own lube and checks if that interests you. You'd be more than welcome to come up here.
Regards,
35W

tackstrp
02-23-2011, 11:55 AM
live in benbrook area , long drive from keller . suggest you buy a 20#lee pot, couple of lee molds of your choice . and lee sizers , can of mineral sprits orderless, old spoon, flux , can of brake fluid for cleaning molds,old tooth brush, spure lube from guy from alaska. place outside to melt lead roll of wax paper, empty cool wip tub, , people here can guide you thru. get your stuff together and we can talk on the phone.

tackstrp
02-23-2011, 11:57 AM
try the tumble lube first, can always go to coventual sizers later .