PDA

View Full Version : Press bulletfeeder + cast + graphite???

mikeg1005
02-19-2011, 06:13 PM
I was looking around and found that hornady makes a bulletfeeder... I will probably pick up a case feeder before I get a bullet feeder but I noticed that based on their design and the instructions... straight cast boolits aren't recommended... makes sense because if the bullets were to stick at all to anything the system would fail since they have to slide around.

Brings me to my next thing... I was thinking about shotgun shot... its got a thin film of graphite on it so that it doesn't stick.

Could the same be done for cast boolits so they feed through a bulletfeeder? Or would the graphite cause smoke/other issues?

I'm kind of thinking out loud but I figured I'd get your input on it.

MIke.

runfiverun
02-19-2011, 10:42 PM
the drive bands and crimp grooves might be the problem.
i'm sure soft sticky lube can't do it much good either.
if your willing to make lube and boolit design allowances cast should work as well as anything.
i wouldn't freak about soft colloidal graphite in a lube, lots of powders have a graphite coating.

mikeg1005
02-20-2011, 02:49 AM
the drive bands and crimp grooves might be the problem.
i'm sure soft sticky lube can't do it much good either.
if your willing to make lube and boolit design allowances cast should work as well as anything.
i wouldn't freak about soft colloidal graphite in a lube, lots of powders have a graphite coating.

I was thinking more so of lube/sizing as I do.. and then simply tumbling those in graphite... Not putting it in the actual lube... Just so the bullets wouldn't stick together in the feeder.

MIke.

stubshaft
02-20-2011, 03:08 AM
Tumble them in Mica after loobing.

runfiverun
02-20-2011, 02:30 PM
mica works, graphite does too iv'e used both.
for a feeder you are gonna have to look at how it stops and holds the boolit.