PDA

View Full Version : LEE molds..????

Sully
02-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Why is it that LEE cant see fit to make more variety of molds than they do? Bullet shapes that a LOT of guys would like to try out at least...such as the #429215 and the #429421...etc..etc. For at least the most popular calibers...38/357...44/44mag..45LC....45 ACP...etc..??

I wouldnt put their molds up on the level of the best you can buy...no way...but for $20 and that includes handles...the ones they make arent too bad.....?????

skeet1
02-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Not only do they not make enough variety but when they have a good design that I'm about to buy they change the design to one I don't like. The 358-125-RF is the one I'm referring to. I was wanting to try the old flat base design in my 9MM and I don't know where to find one.

Ken

sisiphunter
02-19-2011, 02:11 PM
I agree as well. I have bought from them before and had great customer service, maybe an email to them may answer some questions.

I'd love to see more designs, maybe some smaller 22, 25 cal stuff too :) Maybe even a tumble lube 22 cal boolit and more than just one 8mm and one 303 brit boolit.

Matt

nes4ever69
02-19-2011, 02:50 PM
probly cant make other mold designs due to copyright's.

Ohio Rusty
02-19-2011, 03:28 PM
I don't like all the bevel base designs they have gone to. I prefer a flat base on a pictol boolit.
Ohio Rusty ><>

geargnasher
02-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Perhaps this question should be directed to Lee Precision instead? I know I can't answer for them.

Gear

jlchucker
02-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Not only do they not make enough variety but when they have a good design that I'm about to buy they change the design to one I don't like. The 358-125-RF is the one I'm referring to. I was wanting to try the old flat base design in my 9MM and I don't know where to find one.

Ken

I bought a mold designated as that last spring. I ordered it after reading about the design change from an older version on this website. It's got a flat base but the profile of the nose is a little longer. It's a favorite of mine in 38 special and 357 cases. Am I missing something here?

fredj338
02-19-2011, 04:18 PM
probly cant make other mold designs due to copyright's.

I doubt that, you only need minor changes to beat patents. The RCBS 44/245gr is almost a clone of the Lymann 421. No, new designs would be new tooling. They are making money selling what they have. They will gladly make you a custom mold, but of course at custom prices.

btroj
02-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Well, they seem to still be in business so they must be doing something right. This also explains why we have custom makers, to make exactly what you want.

Business is business. They sell to please the masses, not a few individuals. They may have enough designs to keep enough people happy while not having so many that it leads to production/ inventory issues. All they care is that cash flow is positive.

Not trying to answer for them but hey, they are making a profit so they must be doing something right.

singleshot
02-19-2011, 04:53 PM
For a wider selection of Lee molds (at a higher price) check out ranchdogoutdoors.com. They've designed molds thru Lee Precision and bought in bulk.

mooman76
02-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Seems to me they have a large variety of moulds and they still come out with a few new ones every once in a while. They may not have everything you want but no mould maker has everything. Would I like to see more? Sure! I'd like to see their hollow point moulds come back and a few others too. Can't beat their prices though.

1Shirt
02-19-2011, 05:43 PM
I am not crazy about the Lee BB's, but they do load easily, and they shoot very well in my 357/38s, so I am not going to complain.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Sully
02-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Perhaps this question should be directed to Lee Precision instead? I know I can't answer for them.

Gear

I dont think I asked you to answer for them..?????

mikeg1005
02-19-2011, 07:45 PM
I wish they made a dedicated 45acp mold in 200gr.

Their LSWC mold isn't exactly a H&G #68 clone and I have heard of a lot of poeple having issues... and I own their 200gr LRN-FP mold.

Its good except for the part that the bullets curve has a huge radius.. and unless I seat them at 1.155"... they run into the lands in my gun... shoot great and run 100% now that I have figured out the perfect OAL with them, but they don't seem to work in any other 1911 other than mine so I have to buy bullets for when I reload for my friends.

MIke.

Chili
02-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Its good except for the part that the bullets curve has a huge radius.. and unless I seat them at 1.155"... they run into the lands in my gun... shoot great and run 100% now that I have figured out the perfect OAL with them, but they don't seem to work in any other 1911 other than mine so I have to buy bullets for when I reload for my friends.

MIke.

I have a Lee 45-228 1R (or is it R1?) and like yours, it has the huge ogive. Seems I can't seat them deep enough for my 1911 or XD. Does seating them that short give you higher pressures? What powder charge are you using?

mikeg1005
02-19-2011, 09:00 PM
I use Solo 1000

4.6gr gives me approx 860fps and I need to clear 825 to make major PF for USPSA.

That was chronoed when it was 13* outside... going to do it again whe its warmer but they feel at approx that compared to other 200gr I have loaded.

With them that short... they won't feed the last round in a mag unless I'm using wilson combat mags... my shooting stars always gave me a jam on the last round... but they are 100% with the wilsons... I attribute that to the follower not being able to tilt like the GI followers can.

MIke.

Sully
02-19-2011, 09:22 PM

Their LSWC mold isn't exactly a H&G #68 clone and I have heard of a lot of poeple having issues... and I own their 200gr LRN-FP mold.

MIke.

Whats the problems with the 452-200-SWC...??

singleshot
02-19-2011, 09:28 PM
I have the TL452-230 (truncated cone) and it feeds flawlessly in my 1911...with star, colt, and wilson combat mags.

singleshot
02-19-2011, 09:30 PM
I have the TL452-230 (truncated cone) and it feeds flawlessly in my 1911...with star, colt, and wilson combat mags.

I should probably add that with WW it drops 'em right at 240 gr. which I really like.

6.5 mike
02-19-2011, 09:31 PM
skeet 1, I just got the lee 125 rf a couple months back, it's a flat base. There was a post a while back that pointed out lee's website pic's & current molds do'nt match, that's when I ordered mine. I also wanted a flat base.

geargnasher
02-20-2011, 02:11 AM
I dont think I asked you to answer for them..?????

Then what was your reason for starting this thread? If you just want to rant, fine, we all do sometimes. But you asked (the general audience here) a direct question about why Lee doesn't offer a wider variety of moulds, since you say there is a huge customer base wanting other designs. I think my question is valid. Why don't you drop them an email and see why it is that they don't offer the designs that you think they should offer? How about emailing them some technical drawings of what you think everyone wants that they don't offer?

Gear

Recluse
02-20-2011, 02:22 AM
I am not crazy about the Lee BB's, but they do load easily, and they shoot very well in my 357/38s, so I am not going to complain.
1Shirt!:coffee:

MIke.

The Lee 200LSWC is one of my top three shooting boolits. The bevel base gives me a bit of a fit now and then in the lubesizer, but making gaskets has really cut down on the excess lube.

Loading/seating can be a challenge until you get that "sweet spot" OAL down for your particular gun. I also run this particular boolit through a Lee FCD after seating, and the result is that I have had zero feeding problems with it in any of the .45 ACP guns I shoot (four different 1911 style guns and a Sig P220).

Best thing I like about the boolit is that I get unerring superb accuracy.

I've experimented with this particular boolit in lubing with both tumble-lubing and running through the lubesizer. The only time I ever had an accuracy problem was when I tried a homemade lube that used synthetics in it--and then accuracy became non-existent.

Tumble-lubing or lubesizing work equally well for me with this particular boolit and again, it is one of my top three shooting boolits. I love the thing!

:coffee:

mikeg1005
02-20-2011, 02:43 AM
Whats the problems with the 452-200-SWC...??

I have heard continous issues with that mold.... again "heard" which is why I decided against buying it and bought the round nose instead. I plan to buy a H&G #68 clone once I find a 6 cav. aluminum mold... I really like those wadcutters.

The Lee 200LSWC is one of my top three shooting boolits. The bevel base gives me a bit of a fit now and then in the lubesizer, but making gaskets has really cut down on the excess lube.

Loading/seating can be a challenge until you get that "sweet spot" OAL down for your particular gun. I also run this particular boolit through a Lee FCD after seating, and the result is that I have had zero feeding problems with it in any of the .45 ACP guns I shoot (four different 1911 style guns and a Sig P220).

Best thing I like about the boolit is that I get unerring superb accuracy.

I've experimented with this particular boolit in lubing with both tumble-lubing and running through the lubesizer. The only time I ever had an accuracy problem was when I tried a homemade lube that used synthetics in it--and then accuracy became non-existent.

Tumble-lubing or lubesizing work equally well for me with this particular boolit and again, it is one of my top three shooting boolits. I love the thing!

What did you OAL end up being for that bullet?

Since we are on the topic of Lee dies... how are those 158gr .358" dia. molds??? I have been considering trying one but have been told that the slight bevel it has on it can cause lube to flow around the bottom (I have a RCBS LM2)

MIke.

Sully
02-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Then what was your reason for starting this thread?
Gear

My reason..as if I need to explain it to you...was to ask someone ELSE..IF...THEY knew why. I dont EMAIL...I just call on the telephone and speak to "X" personally.

What was YOUR reason for even commenting in this thread if you didnt have anything to actually ADD to it??

Recluse
02-20-2011, 01:50 PM
My reason..as if I need to explain it to you...was to ask someone ELSE..IF...THEY knew why. I dont EMAIL...I just call on the telephone and speak to "X" personally.

What was YOUR reason for even commenting in this thread if you didnt have anything to actually ADD to it??

You need to chill.

You asked a fairly ambiguous question to a bunch of folks here, none of whom work for Lee or have anything to do with Lee or have any influence with Lee. In return, you've received opinions and feedback trying to figure out what you're getting at and if there is anything anyone can do here to help you out.

Snapping and griping at longtime, experienced members here will NOT get you a lot of help moving forward.

Sully
02-20-2011, 02:02 PM
You need to chill.

You asked a fairly ambiguous question to a bunch of folks here, none of whom work for Lee or have anything to do with Lee or have any influence with Lee. In return, you've received opinions and feedback trying to figure out what you're getting at and if there is anything anyone can do here to help you out.

Snapping and griping at longtime, experienced members here will NOT get you a lot of help moving forward.

Ahh yes. I understand totally where you are coming from and I agree..and as I replied I posted to see if ANYONE ELSE had a good idea why Lee didnt. AND BTW...I got some decent replys to my ambiguous question except for mainly one whom didnt REPLY to the question but instead IMHO interjected his usual comment(s). What about the old adage that if you cant say something nice ( or any anything to a thread) then you need not post anything?????)

Someone doesnt have to work for; have any influence over nor have any direct involvement with a company to have an ANSWER...now do they? ( Or at least have some sort of knowledge about the subject)

Ive watched "said person's" reply's to others questions on this BB and seen the same grilling and drilling at them and it wasnt the first time said person had done it to me.

Recluse
02-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Ive watched "said person's" reply's to others questions on this BB and seen the same grilling and drilling at them and it wasnt the first time said person had done it to me.

Understand.

The internet/e-mail is a funny thing. The way some people write offends some folks, but the offending writer can say the exact same thing in person and when you see the body language, hear the tone of voice, facial expressions, etc, it doesn't come across as offending.

Just the way that person, or persons, communicate.

I've written for a living for over 20 years and have probably just gotten used to it. :)

Sully
02-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Understand.

The internet/e-mail is a funny thing. The way some people write offends some folks, but the offending writer can say the exact same thing in person and when you see the body language, hear the tone of voice, facial expressions, etc, it doesn't come across as offending.

Just the way that person, or persons, communicate.

I've written for a living for over 20 years and have probably just gotten used to it. :)

Ahhh..a writer for 20 years now. Unfortunately I had to work for a living my whole life ( a joke of course) so I do envy your profession. It CAN allow a person to travel the world to write...and thats not a bad thing at all.

Char-Gar
02-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Lee makes all of it's products with an eye on the bottom line to keep prices as low as possible. Adding new designs means changing over machinery or buying new machinery. Both of which will raise the price of molds.

Their designs covers 99% of what folks buy molds to do. Adding diversity only adds cost.

mpmarty
02-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Most folks come here for camaraderie and to learn from others. Some come to impress us with their wit. The value of the information on this site far outweighs the occasional sarcasm.

geargnasher
02-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Ahh yes. I understand totally where you are coming from and I agree..and as I replied I posted to see if ANYONE ELSE had a good idea why Lee didnt. AND BTW...I got some decent replys to my ambiguous question except for mainly one whom didnt REPLY to the question but instead IMHO interjected his usual comment(s). What about the old adage that if you cant say something nice ( or any anything to a thread) then you need not post anything?????)

Someone doesnt have to work for; have any influence over nor have any direct involvement with a company to have an ANSWER...now do they? ( Or at least have some sort of knowledge about the subject)

Maybe you should take a little step back, put the chip back on your shoulder, drop the victim mentality, and take a real hard look at how some of YOUR posts come off to others here. I don't have answer to your original question, and I'm trying to figure out why you thought anyone else here would, either. It's kind of like asking "why do so many of Lyman's products suck these days?" I dunno, it's up to speculation. "Why doesn't Lee make the designs I think they should make?" I dunno, maybe, like I said already, you should ask them. Find out and tell US why, put a little effort into answering the question.

Gear

02-20-2011, 06:01 PM
No one company has the ability or desire to make a product or provide a service that appeals to every potential customer.

For reasons known only to Lee, they have decided not to produce moulds that mimic Lyman's 429215 and 429421. You may as well ask why doesn't Lyman sell moulds with handles attached, ala Lee.

The answer to your post lies with Lee, not here. Trying to get them to answer the phone is most difficult. E-mail works.

Sully
02-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Maybe you should take a little step back, put the chip back on your shoulder, drop the victim mentality, and take a real hard look at how some of YOUR posts come off to others here. I don't have answer to your original question, and I'm trying to figure out why you thought anyone else here would, either. It's kind of like asking "why do so many of Lyman's products suck these days?" I dunno, it's up to speculation. "Why doesn't Lee make the designs I think they should make?" I dunno, maybe, like I said already, you should ask them. Find out and tell US why, put a little effort into answering the question.

Gear

No chip here at all and the reason I asked my question is because I THOUGHT that "many" head were better than one...but thats before I realized it depended on the heads themselves. No so called victim mentality but one thing that does puzzle me is why YOU act as you do to so many. As I said Ive read MANY posting by you when you have replied and I dont think Im the only one that perceives you to be rather course in your replies.

I'll have to assume the only way to not interfere with YOUR running things as you want them to be is to just not post at all..and thats OK with me

35remington
02-20-2011, 10:32 PM
I find the criticism of the Lee 200 RN FP design for not working ideally in an automatic pistol more than a little odd, for the reason it was never intended for an automatic pistol in 45 ACP in the first place. When seated to clear the rifling the result is a nonstandard, too short overall length. Usually 1911's and their clones (if that's what you are shooting) do better with overall lengths of 1.20" and over. If it's extra short, that's a consequence of the wrong choice in buying a mould, not a design mistake by Lee.

It was intended for revolvers and levers in 45 Colt and the other "old timey" calibers to provide a lightweight bullet that gives less recoil, while still feeding well in leverguns.

The Lee 228-1R is not a duplicate of the military 230 ball profile and cannot be seated to the same overall length and work through the gun. Too much full diameter protrudes outside the case and prevent the cartridge from fully chambering.

If you want a duplicate of the ball profile, pick the 230-2R. The "2R" means a longer ball profile nose.....2 radius ogive. The "1R" means a shorter nose that is not a duplicate of ball profile. 1 radius ogive.

In fairness, the designation of the bullet explains this difference. 228-1R versus 230-2R.