PDA

View Full Version : I finally took the plunge.

ChefJeff1
02-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Well, after lots of reading and thinking, I decided to take the plunge and switch to shooting cast, mainly in my Marlin 336ss 30-30. I spent some time on Beartooth's website and made my order. I got the 173 grain .310 bullet, the book, and the lapping kit. My first order of business is to thoroughly clean my bore and get all of that "C" stuff out. (copper). Last fall, I decided that I want to hunt with lever actions, for the nostalgia. I've previously hunted with a Ruger .270 which will remain with me and still use Nosler Partitions, at least until I get a lever gun more suitable for elk than my 30-30.:)

Anyway, feel free to pass along any tips, comments, recommendations and wahtever else you can think of that I should know.

Thanks, Jeff

Might as well post a pic too, This marlin is a 1949sc that is undergoing a little restoration.

saz
02-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Congrats and warnings are in order. Nice cow- that is some good eatin! Now the warning; this is a hobby, dare I say ADDICTION that knows no cure. You are already going in the right direction, now it is time to start collecting items for casting on your own. It is my "me time".

pls1911
02-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Your Marlin is fine for Elk, if you hunt instead of play sniper... get in nat 50-80 yards, stoke it with an RCBS 180FN (which will usually cast 190+), at moderate velocity (1900 fps), through the shoulder/ spine junction and your elk is DRT....no tracking.
You could likely for with a RD or Lyman, but fo heavy critters, I prefer heavy boolits.You grin factor will be much greater with your lever and a cast boolit.

Ole
02-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Welcome! :drinks:

I'm thinking about using my 14" T/C in .357 Max if our group gets drawn for elk this winter as well.

Those heavy cast boolits kill better then they should on paper. You just can't shoot an animal from 300-400 yards like you can with the right standard cartridge.

Charlie Two Tracks
02-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Hi Jeff. Welcome. I came to this forum for load data and ended up casting. Watch out! Before long you will be looking all over the place for lead! What a fun hobby.

Smoke-um if you got-um
02-19-2011, 07:05 PM
The first time you drop something with your own casting it will put a grin on your face even my dear ole mother couldn't wipe off with spit on a hanky .........
:groner:

Mike

ChefJeff1
02-20-2011, 03:01 AM
I'm thinking about casting but want to buy them first to see how I like them. I tend to do things for myself. tie flies, chop wood, reload, butcher my animals.....you get the idea.

2 of my 3 elk have been under 100 yards for sure. the 1st was about 200. I like being close.