PDA

View Full Version : New toy Rem 14 - 141

Pavogrande
02-19-2011, 04:04 AM
I just got a new toy, a rem pump in 30rem --

I know it is a model 14 or 141 but how do I tell?

It has a few warts but is generally in good condition.

Side plate drilled for scope mount, tang sight wood screw hole brass filled.

I would like to find a proper peep sight for it though.

Also some 30 rem brass -- fortunately I have the dies --

Gunsmoke4570
02-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Good find! I love these old pumps. Always felt these had a better balance and came up to the shoulder better than the later pumps.

I think the easiest way to tell would be the sights. I think the M141 had a ramp front sight? Other option would be to date it using the barrel date code. Do a Google search for the Remington date codes or go to their web sight.

I have a M14 in .30 Rem with an original Marbles tang sight (Finding one won't be easy and will cost you) that was made IIRC in 1919. The only problem with mine is the cartridge elevator doesn't work and that appears to be a common problem on these as I've seen several with that issue. I've never taken the time to shoot mine a whole lot, but it is fun to shoot!

Pavogrande
02-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks gsmoke --
I thought it was worth the $100 asked --
It does feel right coming to the shoulder --
Barrel does not have a ramp but a lump silver soldered (I presume) and blended into barrel with no joint showing.
No barrel date apparent - where would it be? ser# is C 75051

The tang sight does look different with two side by side holes at rear of receiver and one wood screw in stock wrist. Not one in everybodies junk box --

It also has an issue with the feed plug but hopefully will be readily repairable.

pietro
02-19-2011, 09:39 PM
[I know it is a model 14 or 141 but how do I tell?]

Model 14's were issued with 22" barrels; Model 141's with 24".

Barrel length is properly measured via dropping a cleaning rod downbore against the face of the closed boltface, marking the rod at the muzzle, then withdrawing the rod to measure it to the mark.

Gunsmoke4570
02-19-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks gsmoke --

No barrel date apparent - where would it be? ser# is C 75051

Without my book handy I think that is an older one of similar vintage of mine. Probably 1920ish.

mtnman31
02-20-2011, 01:05 AM
I recently got one as well. Mine is a model 14 in .30 Rem that is in nice shape, hasn't been drilled or refinished. I got it at a local gun shop for a very fair price. I haven't shot it yet as I still need dies and brass myself.

I also have a Model 141 in .35 Rem in nice shape as well. It looks like it may have been refinished at one time. I can't tell for sure on the metal but the wood has been refinished. It has a Redfield peep sight mounted on the receiver. Initially, I wasn't too keen on the idea of a rifle with drilled receiver but the peep is just fantastic. It was a Gunbroker purchase and I was very pleased. I still need to get a "rifle weight" .35 mold for it. To this point it has been pistol weight bullets and jacketed that I got with the rifle when I bought it.

I really need to take a picture of these and get it posted.

Pavogrande
02-20-2011, 04:37 AM
Thanks to all -- It would appear ol' betsy is a 14 -- apparently barrel manufacturing letters did not start til 1921 so it is that old or older.
It would seem there are still a few out there going strong -
Strange, in all my years messin' with weapons I never came across one before --
I am looking forward to finding some brass and putting a few down range --