PDA

View Full Version : Lee Hardness tester

SkookumJeff
02-19-2011, 01:03 AM
New to boolit casting, I cast my first boolits today. Finally! It's been a bit of a journey.

I set up my Lee Hardness tester to test the hardness of my smelted lead. I was sold pure lead, soft lead, whatever you want to call it. I was curious to see what I really had. Sure enough, the dimple left by the Lee Hardness tester measured .10 on my cast boolit. I also tested one of my small muffin ingots from a different smelt. This was a different batch of purchased lead, also sold as soft lead. Same dimple, measured .100 in diameter. Pretty happy with the outcome.

The 'microscope' sold with the Lee Hardness test kit is a pain in the ass to use. I got it figured out, but it's a pain nevertheless. After I was done I thought why wouldn't I be able to use my calipers to measure the dimple? Got my calipers out and measured, thinking maybe there is some conversion with the Lee 'microscope'. Nope, measured .100 with my calipers same as with the Lee optics. Am I missing something? The calipers are a heck of a lot easier to measure with than the Lee tool, Lee can keep their microscope. Aside from the microscope, I like the hardness tester...

GP100man
02-19-2011, 05:56 AM
Go to Castpics of the month & look at my scope "holder" it`ll make life a bit easier !

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Ditto GP
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105314

HangFireW8
02-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Nope, measured .100 with my calipers same as with the Lee optics. Am I missing something?

Yes. It is much easier to read the large, soft idents than the tiny ones. Not everyone has young, sharp eyes. Also, you will see detail on your cast boolits you won't see with the naked eye.

The calipers are a heck of a lot easier to measure with than the Lee tool, Lee can keep their microscope. Aside from the microscope, I like the hardness tester...

Check out the microscope holder:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=40521&highlight=microscope

-HF

Cowboy T
02-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Yep, agreed, it's a bit of a pain, but a holder would help. The hardness tester itself, though, totally rocks, and especially since it's actually affordable.

Daddyfixit
02-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Once I got a handle on moving up is down & right is left thing it works great!