PDA

View Full Version : Lee TL452-200-SWC. Loads and OAL

Dan H
11-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Anyone have any loads they can share using boolits cast with this mold?

Lee data has 1.225 OAL using Titegroup, but that seems kinda long to me.

I seated them at 1.19 over 5 gr. Titegroup, had no adverse pressure problems, and was very pleased with the accuracy.

Thanks for the info.

Cloudpeak
11-17-2006, 06:31 PM
I tested a series of loads with the Lee TL bullet using Power Pistol and W231. I couldn't seat my bullets any longer than 1.165 OAL and get reliable chambering in my SA 1911 Loaded.

With Power Pistol my most accurate loads were with 5.2 and 6.5 grains of powder, under 1.00" at 45 feet. With 231 the most accurate loads were with 5.0 grains, .65" at 45 feet. I've got to tell the truth, though. Those were both 4 shot groups. On the two days I shot, I seemed to have a dickens of a time with one flyer. Usually, it was the last shot. I think I saw how tight the group was after 4 shots and got excited?

Cloudpeak

Here's a group at 7 yards:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/WyoBob/Guns/DSCN1290.jpg

Dan H
11-18-2006, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the input cloudpeak.

I got 4" gpoups at 25 yards, all in the head # 3 target, with my JM 625, and was extatic.
I don't do bench rest at the local range and 25 yards is the max for the range.
I have shot 185 Hornady JHP with less success.

Looking to get a model 70 1911 soon.

David R
11-18-2006, 07:26 AM
Just seat the boolit so it headspaces on the first band. Use your barrel as an OAL guage. The base of the rim should be flush with the back of the hood. If they fit in the magazine this will be your optimim OAL.

I shot a lot of these at bowling pins, I had a 6 banger.

David

Cloudpeak
11-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Just seat the boolit so it headspaces on the first band. Use your barrel as an OAL guage. The base of the rim should be flush with the back of the hood. If they fit in the magazine this will be your optimim OAL.

I shot a lot of these at bowling pins, I had a 6 banger.

David

I use the chamber for a go/no go gauge. Your post got me to thinking, I'm not sure I know for sure whether the cartridges are headspacing on the band of the bullet or the case mouth. I guess I think the case mouth based on the sound the cart. makes when I drop it into the barrel. I set the bullet so there is around .035" between the case mouth and the front of the band. They fit the chamber fine but, because their OAL is so short, they don't always feed properly. Generally, it jams when you release the slide to strip the first round of the mag. I don't recall any FTF after the first round was chambered.

I do have a small feeding problem with this bullet shape and have a 6 cavity Lee that uses the H&G 68 design and will sell the mold I've been using. So, I'm not going to put too much more thought on the mechanics of loading the Lee TL 200 SWC design.

Cloudpeak