PDA

View Full Version : NEF questions

Jim
02-18-2011, 09:54 AM
I picked up a NEF 12 ga. X 3" shotgun the other day. What I know about NEF products wouldn't fill a thimble.

Will a NEF rifle barrel drop in the same receiver or are there different receivers for shotguns and rifles?

I'm thinking(that oughta' scare ya'!), if all NEF bbls are interchangeable, I could start looking around for rifle barrels to use.

Olevern
02-18-2011, 10:05 AM
simply put, maybe. Older frames for shotgun are only safe for shotgun pressures. All the newer frames , shotgun or rifle, are safe for rifle. There is a prefix on the ser. # that will tell you which you have. Check over on the Greybeards Outdoors H&R sub forum, the proper prefix can be found in many posts over there.

BBA
02-18-2011, 10:15 AM
The shotgun receiver are rated for only shotgun and blackpowder barrels (SB1) and the rifle receivers will accept most of the barrels. You might be able to put a 45/70 barrel on that shotgun receiver. I'm sure somebody will be along with alot more info shortly. I recommend a good butt pad for that gun, they sure get your attention.

Trey45
02-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Howdy Jim,

Greybeards has one of the most comprehensive NEF subsections I have ever come across, I found the following info for you over there.

Can I put a rifle barrel on a shotgun frame?

H&R won't fit Rifle barrels other than 357mag and 44 mag on a shotgun frame since the shotgun frame is not heat treated to handle the pressure. Since rifle frames are heat treated investment cast alloy steel, they are safe to use higher pressures, the lower pressure shotgun barrels don't present a hazard to the firearm and/or user as the inverse does. The larger firing pin and surrounding hole in the frame is also an issue.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,136176.msg1098524169.html#msg1098524169

Click HERE to see the results of what might happen with a high pressure barrel on a shotgun frame.

The difference between SB1 and SB2 frames...

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=80979

Jal5
02-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Jim they are fun little guns,easy to work on, and are quite addictive!
I now own the Pardner shotgun, 20 ga. with a scope for slug hunting plus a 16 ga. barrel for everything else; two rifles in 243 and 270 Win; and a SideKick muzzleloader. I would like to pick up one in 45-70 and 357 too. Barrels will interchange on the SB2 frame for centerfire calibers, but I prefer a dedicated frame and forend for each.

Use the Graybeard website, there is more knowledge there about these guns than at the manufacturer I think!

Joe