PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of a 357 Rossi lever, is it possible to mount a scope?

357shooter
02-17-2011, 06:42 PM
I don't know squat about rifles/carbines. But I love all things 357 magnum.

Selling a revolver and will have a 4X scope left. Is it practical to mount it on the Rossi? Midway shows a weaver "side mount" for it. That just sounds weird.

My eyesight really can use a scope, this is for fun shooting (not a hunter), but I love accuracy. Hence the scope left from a revolver...

If this is practical, anyone have a picture of one with the scope mounted??

As you can tell. I don't know much, but really like the idea of the Rossi.

Thanks for any info, help and advice.

Oh, suggestions on barrel length? I cast/handload 357 already, so sharing some ammo with the revolver (fast powder for targets etc...) would be the plan. Of course working up loads just for the Ross would be in the plans too.

Dan Cash
02-17-2011, 07:50 PM
My friend has a Rossi .357 with a 20" barrel. The wood is not the prettiest but the gun realyy works/functions well and shoots well to boot. A side mount scope can take some real getting used to. A Lyman, or Marbles tang peep or a Lyman or Williams receiver sight would likely serve you well as you should not be engaging anything much beyond 200 yards. I load a 165grain 357466 plain base bullet over 12 gr of 2400. Works well in pistol and carbine. I personally have a Rossi 24 in barrel rifle in .45 Colt. Works fine but a .357 is a more practical carbine cartridge.

NickSS
02-17-2011, 09:04 PM
I do not know who makes them but as your scope came off a handgun I would expect it to be a long eye relief type so a scout mount forward of the reciever would be what you want for it. I have seen this type of mount on winchester carbines but do not know who makes them

357shooter
02-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks guys. I'll do some research on the tang peep, receiver and forward scout mount too.

hickstick_10
02-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Leatherwood scope perhaps?

http://www.leatherwoodoptics.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=37&Itemid=52

and heres a picture

http://www.leatherwoodoptics.com/images/images/mcl-short-1.jpg

357shooter
02-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Looks like Rossi makes a weaver mount for to fit their guns: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=80097

The Leatherwood products look pretty interesting too.

Jeff H
02-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Looks like Rossi makes a weaver mount for to fit their guns: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=80097......

I am wondering if that scope base is not for their single shots. It just says "Rossi long barrel guns." It would have to go on the barrel based on where the holes are shown on the base in the picture. I hope to know tomorrow what holes are in the Rossi 92 (if any) as they come from the factory, but my assumption at this point is that there are no D/T'd holes unless you get the one with the forward-mounted base - and I think that one comes with the base. Still trying to sort these details out myself.

I tried to find the model with the forward-mounted scope base in .357 and didn't, so I got the "standard model" 16" round-barreled 92. I did see that one in the .44 mag. Anyway, that scope mounting setup (on the barrel, ahead of the reciever) would be appropriate if the scope you have left is a long eye relief (assuming it's left over from the revolver you sold.)

357shooter
02-18-2011, 06:31 AM
It seems that among the search info someone mentioned that newer, 20" and longer Rossi 92 had the removable sight. The one just in front of the receiver.

357shooter
02-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Umm, I found this post elsewhere on the net:

The correct part number for the Model 92 is P892 not P801. The 801 is for the single shots and there is no built in slope to the mount. You may run out of elevation before you get your zero. I tried the 801 mount on my 92 and while it fits my dot sight ran out of elevation before I had a zero. gun was shooting way high. I ordered the P892 mount from Rossi/ braztech.

http://www.amazon.com/Rossi-Braztech-Piece-Base-Blue/dp/B0035M1FAY

robertbank
02-18-2011, 10:34 AM
An alternative to a long eye relief scope is a quality Red Dot sight. My Rossie's aren't D&T'd. I wrote Skinner and asked him to think about designing a dovetail rail set-up. I think he is looking into it. Send him an email and it may prod some action.

Take Care

Bob

northmn
02-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Get a Marlin instead. I have the little Rossi and like it, but would not want to cobble on a scope. My Marlins are already drilled for one and side eject and work great with scopes.

DP

pmer
02-18-2011, 11:12 AM
I went to the Rossi web site and will try and add this link;

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=170&category=8&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

Sorry might have to copy paste, it should be a pic of a 1892 .44 cal. with the scope mount attached. Just have to push off the rear site.

fecmech
02-18-2011, 11:18 AM
The new Braz Tech Rossi's with round 20" BBls. come D&T'd under the rear sight for a scout type scope mount. Yes the correct mount is P892, I'm the guy that wrote that post. I have the mount on my 20" Rossi and use it for load development. The octagon Bbls. are not D&T'd from the factory and if you were to put a scope mount on them you would not need the tapered mount as they are not tapered. Hope this helps. Nick

Jeff H
02-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Wow, I certainly appreciate all the information everyone has supplied on this subject. I JUST got a call that my 92 is in and will pick it up today. Mine will be the 16" model and I will let everyone know if that one is D/T'd under the rear sight. The information I found when I shopped for and bought it was very generic.

As far as the Marlin goes - not to be had around here, especially for $420 like the Rossi. Missed one for $250 but the guy that got that one probably left the shop so vast he created a vacuum that sucked the doors all shut for an hour.

I can D/T holes though and have been eyeballin' the Rossi for years - even before people liked them.

I hope to have mine in-hand within a couple hours.

pmer
02-18-2011, 01:11 PM
That sounds like a fun trip to the shop. I have a 20'' Rossi in .45 colt and it's drilled and tapped for the mount. I'm just using the iron sites. It shoots good and the trigger is not too bad. I had to file the front site down for Ruger only loads.

There is a web site called stevesguns out of Texas that has tricks and goodies for these rifles but mine is stock. Congradulations on the .357, what a nice goto gun that would be.

Jeff H
02-18-2011, 03:55 PM
That sounds like a fun trip to the shop.......

You bet!
I just got back.:D:D:D:D:D

As promised - for the information bank - there are D/T'd holes (no plugs) under the rear sight on the 16" guns. I know it only made sense that it would, but you never know what makes sense to the manufacturer's accountants. The 16" was $20 less than the 20" so I figured they may have skipped the holes in addition to the 4" less barrel/mag tube/spring material.

There WAS a .357 Marlin on the rack this time but I am still glad I got the Rossi. The Marlin was tagged $600!! Used with buggered screws!!

Anyway, this carbine is like a toy. My whole "truck gun" description just changed tremendously. Sleek, slim and SO light, but still good stock proprtions for shooting.

I will start another thread later with more details and pics so as not to hijack this one with my joy.:D Just wanted to include the info about the scope base holes on the 16" model.

Hanzerik
02-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Maybe another idea to think of is a Marble Arms Bullseye rear sight. I put one on my 16" Rossi/Puma Carbine. And yes, the 16" guns are really light and nice handling guns fur stuff like woods/truck guns. It sports a gold bead front, and Bullseye rear.
http://home.bresnan.net/~hanzerik/pics/Puma/Bullseye.JPG

My 20" Short rifle also sports Marble Arms sights front, middle, and rear :-D
A gold bead up front (also have same bead size on my 16" just taller post), Folding rear, and a tang sight.
http://home.bresnan.net/~hanzerik/pics/Puma/Right%20Side%202.JPG

357shooter
02-18-2011, 05:19 PM
I called a local gun store to get a price. They asked if i wanted the 20 inch Rossi round barrel with or without the mount. I asked about the mount, they said it was for a scope.

Nothing can be that easy, can it???

357shooter
02-20-2011, 10:12 PM
Place the order for a blue 20 inch round barrel today.

Cannot wait for it to arrive... the FFL paperwork isn't even done yet so this is a good 7-10 days away. Did more casting tonight, gotta get ready.

robertbank
02-20-2011, 11:09 PM
You won't be sorry. Great shooter.

Take Care

Bob

Jeff H
02-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Place the order for a blue 20 inch round barrel today......

I just picked up the 16" and want a 20" now too.
This was not supposed to happen.:oops:

By the way, thanks for the scope base research. I think I will pick one up while I can get it whether I think I will use it or not.

357shooter
02-21-2011, 09:20 PM
I just picked up the 16" and want a 20" now too.
This was not supposed to happen.:oops:

By the way, thanks for the scope base research. I think I will pick one up while I can get it whether I think I will use it or not.
How's the 16, may need one myself? I just got the UPS shipping number and want another one already too!

Man, these things go quickly and aren't in stock very often.

I ordered a mount too, right after ordering the 20". The scope and a red dot are already here. Not sure which I like best...

jlchucker
02-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Wow, I certainly appreciate all the information everyone has supplied on this subject. I JUST got a call that my 92 is in and will pick it up today. Mine will be the 16" model and I will let everyone know if that one is D/T'd under the rear sight. The information I found when I shopped for and bought it was very generic.

As far as the Marlin goes - not to be had around here, especially for $420 like the Rossi. Missed one for $250 but the guy that got that one probably left the shop so vast he created a vacuum that sucked the doors all shut for an hour.

I can D/T holes though and have been eyeballin' the Rossi for years - even before people liked them.

I hope to have mine in-hand within a couple hours.

Jeff, a year ago I bought a brand-new 16 inch Braztech Rossi 92 in 357. As part of my gun improvement process I removed the front and rear sights and replaced them with Marbles ones. When I removed the rear sight I was surprised to find that it covered factory-drilled and tapped holes--from all appearances intended for use in mounting a scout-style scope mount. You should be OK.

Jeff H
02-25-2011, 11:01 PM
.....When I removed the rear sight I was surprised to find that it covered factory-drilled and tapped holes--from all appearances intended for use in mounting a scout-style scope mount. You should be OK.

Thanks!
I found them shortly after getting it home. I showed it to my Dad today and mentioned the D/T'd holes and the first thing he said was "red dot!" Funny coming from him. I prefer not to be dependant upon batteries, but..... maybe I just need three of t hese - one with irons, one with a scope and one with a red dot.

Don't put it past me - I really like this thing.

jlchucker
02-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks!
I found them shortly after getting it home. I showed it to my Dad today and mentioned the D/T'd holes and the first thing he said was "red dot!" Funny coming from him. I prefer not to be dependant upon batteries, but..... maybe I just need three of t hese - one with irons, one with a scope and one with a red dot.

They grow on you. I had a local gunsmith--a retired guy who for decades has worked on some Winchester 92's, slick mine up. He did this while I was waiting for Steve's DVD and a safety plug to come. My friend not only smoothed up my action, but told me that he got sick of chasing my brass all over the range while he was testing my gun. So he fixed my ejector spring. Turns out, he did it exactly as shown in Steve's DVD. You'll want to fix that ejector spring like Steve's DVD says, because those out-of-the-box Rossi's will fling your empty cases so far that they put orbiting satellites at risk of being hit by flying brass. Good luck with all 3 of your Rossi's. If I get another, though, I may try a 44-40, for the sake of "diversity".

fecmech
02-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks!
I found them shortly after getting it home. I showed it to my Dad today and mentioned the D/T'd holes and the first thing he said was "red dot!"

Here's one I've been looking at for a while and may buy. At less than 4 oz. and 2.5" long I don't think it would hurt the balance of my carbine very bad. http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-1x25-trophy-series-riflescope-trs-25-red-dot-731303.html

I have a little Tasco 25MM on my Henry .22 carbine and it works good.

Jeff H
02-26-2011, 02:33 PM
......Rossi's will fling your empty cases so far that they put orbiting satellites at risk of being hit by flying brass......

Certainly, this is one of the first things I will address, as I HATE chasing brass. As a handloader, the cumpulsion is so great that I even catch myself trying to keep track of .22 LR cases as they fly. I have access quite an assortment of spring stock and will probably find what I need there. I thinkn I need four now though.... I am a .44 (Special) guy at heart. I may try that eventually if I can get one to shoot without pushing mag velocities.

Here's one I've been looking at for a while and may buy. At less than 4 oz. and 2.5" long I don't think it would hurt the balance of my carbine very bad. http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-1x25-trophy-series-riflescope-trs-25-red-dot-731303.html

I have a little Tasco 25MM on my Henry .22 carbine and it works good.

Thanks! I have never bought or owned a red dot and have no idea wher to start. I appreciate the input on the balance. I HAVE dealt with Optics Planet and they're good folks.

robertbank
02-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Jeff I have the Vortex Sparc on my Beretta Storm. It is very durable and has a lifetime warranty. My Rossis are drilled and tapped so I am looking into my mounting options. I plan to put one on my .44mag rifle once I decide how I want to mount the red dot.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/sparc_red_dot_scopes

Batttery life is excellent.

Take Care

Bob

Jeff H
02-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Jeff I have the Vortex Sparc on my Beretta Storm.......... Batttery life is excellent.......Bob

Thanks, Bob! You hit on one of my weaknesses there - I spend a lot of time trying to determine how long a cell will last me.

robertbank
02-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Jeff the Sparc has one feature that helps with battery life. If you forget to shot it off it goes off after six hours. The units come with two batteries which will keep you going for a very long time. When I am at the range I click the unit off everytime I go down range to change targets or if I am puttering around picking up brass etc. I certainly wouldn't hold back on a Red Dot due to battery life. Changing the battery is a two minute job so I just carry a spare in my range bag. I haven't needed to change one yet.

Take Care

Bob

AnthonyB
02-26-2011, 07:54 PM
jlchucker:
Are those holes in the rear sight dovetail?
Tony

357shooter
02-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Yes they are. The picture from the Rossi site posted (thanks pmer):

http://www.rossiusa.com/images/imagesMain/R92-55002.jpg

jlchucker
02-27-2011, 12:20 PM
jlchucker:
Are those holes in the rear sight dovetail?
Tony

Not in the dovetail slot itself, but in the barrel behind it, covered up by the factory iron sight and its little notched lifting bar. You won't see the drilled and tapped holes until you drive the back sight out of the dovetail. The Rossi sight that came with my gun was driven into the dovetail in the same fashion as the typical Marlins and Winchesters. The stock, stamped back Rossi sight is a cheap piece of junk IMO. I'm an iron sight/receiver sight guy, and this is my truck gun. I replaced the Rossi front and back sights with a bead front and a Marbles semibuckhorn rear. The dovetails in my rifle are the standard, US 3/8" size. I don't know the size or thread of those little drilled and tapped holes.

Lead Fred
02-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Get a Marlin instead. I have the little Rossi and like it, but would not want to cobble on a scope. My Marlins are already drilled for one and side eject and work great with scopes.

/CONCUR The Marlin is all set up, I hate to see a Rossi jerry rigged.

357shooter
02-27-2011, 03:35 PM
How does buying a scope mount designed and manufactured by Rossi for their lever gun get described as "cobbled on" or "jerry rigged"?

I'm going with the Rossi and will install the factory mount (if you order the gun, you can get it with the mount from the factory).

No cobbling here.

357shooter
02-28-2011, 07:26 PM
OK, so how do you remove the rear sight? I don't want to mess it up.

The one section slides out, the other may be a dovetail. If so it probably just drives out to the side.

Is that right?

357shooter
02-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Got it! Came right off.